Photo

Is It Possible To Stream From Xbmc To Xbox 360 Via Upnp Yet?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dcourtney

dcourtney

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:17 AM

Hi Guys

Topic pretty much says it all. I have a xbmc running the latest tech build and a 360 with the latest dash (divx support etc)

Anyway I know the 360 uses a modified UPNP client so it can access shares off other devices like a pc with wmp11 or media connect.

What I was wondering was if there is a way to setup the UPNP sharing on XBMC so that it's files show up on the 360's media blade?

I tried doing a search but I never have any luck with boardtracker.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Geeba

Geeba

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

Buy another Xbox and run XBMC on that to? blink.gif you can stream between them then... soooo cheap now 25 quid buys you an ebay xbox... next gen consoles still arent in the same league as XBMC IMO... tried a 360 up against XBMC at a mates house... the 360 was dire...even with the latest dash the files it would play didnt look as good as the XBMC machine... some just showed up black others with no sound... old faithfull played EVERYTHING! and it doesnt sound like a 747 is landing in your lounge! biggrin.gif

Games 360.. no doubt about it...

Media..... best left to XBMC smile.gif

#3 dskaufman1

dskaufman1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(dcourtney @ Jan 9 2008, 08:53 AM) View Post

Hi Guys

Topic pretty much says it all. I have a xbmc running the latest tech build and a 360 with the latest dash (divx support etc)

Anyway I know the 360 uses a modified UPNP client so it can access shares off other devices like a pc with wmp11 or media connect.

What I was wondering was if there is a way to setup the UPNP sharing on XBMC so that it's files show up on the 360's media blade?

I tried doing a search but I never have any luck with boardtracker.

Thanks in advance.
Had the exact same question but never got an answer. I saw a posting about the XBMC upnp support not including broadcast capabilities. The post seemed to indicate that doing a restart of XBMC while another upnp (like the 360) was searching, might cause it to be seen as Xbmc sends out a message when the upnp first comes up. Haven't tried it myself so not sure if it actually works.

#4 dcourtney

dcourtney

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

Hi Geeba

No doubt xbmc is miles ahead of the 360 in media terms but that doesn't stop the fact that from time to time I would love to access my media that is sitting on my xbmc's large drive from the tv with the 360 connected. There was talk of the UPNP being looking into for 360 support about this time last year so I was wondering if that progressed to anywhere.

dskaufman1 thanks for the info, hopefully we can both get a confirmed answer on if this is possible of if it is still being looked into. It would be great to be able to use the xbmc as a fancy NAS type device which this would allow it to be.

How recently did you come across the method you mentioned?

Anyone on the programming team have any insight here?

thanks in advance

#5 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:46 PM

Hi,

i just did some experimenting with the uPnP features of Xbmc as well.
Xbmc works great as media center, and can stream media from other devices like your pc, however,
it's only capability to work as media server is trough uPnP.

i found some tools on the Intel website, and they also don't see the xbox as uPnP server or renderer.

Only the vista version of windows media player 11 has uPnP buildin.
I still use xp, so I don't know if the xbox is recognised by that package.

I found a package from Cidero that sees the xbox, but it is unable to control it over uPnP.

The only thing that worked until now are the Platinum uPnP sdk samples. They have nothing fancy graphical,
but I could demonstrate with their MicroMediaController software that the xbox works as uPnP server and renderer. I even could initiate a mp3 playback on my pocketpc pocketplayer with uPnP. That application was frequently giving me exception errors, so I stopped my tests with it.

It might be interesting to know if the xbox360 can work with an external controller.
It is the uPnP controller that needs to locate the uPnP server ans tells the uPnP renderer to play the media.

If your 360 can work that way, it should be able to play media of the xbox.

It is very limited about what media it can play. I think it only accepts WMA and WMV contents.

The Platinum sdk sample can be compiled with visual studio 2003 and 2005. If you don't have one of those, I might be able to pass you the exe for testing.

regards.

#6 GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:53 PM

Rather than make a new thread with this same subject, I thought I'd bump this old one.

Has there been any advancements in this idea? It would be very cool to do this. my modded original xbox has all my music on it and is hooked up through my network which my 360 is also hooked up to. Seems plausible at a glance to me.

#7 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

It should be working now. I remember there was a bit of a laugh the first time people got it going: It turns the only reason it hadn't been working was because XBMC was identifying itself as XBMC. So long as it gave any other server name the 360 would pick up the media on it.

Anyway, you need to scan your media into the library before it can be shared over uPnP.

#8 GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Sep 21 2008, 01:30 PM) View Post

It should be working now. I remember there was a bit of a laugh the first time people got it going: It turns the only reason it hadn't been working was because XBMC was identifying itself as XBMC. So long as it gave any other server name the 360 would pick up the media on it.

Anyway, you need to scan your media into the library before it can be shared over uPnP.

smile.gif Holy shite it works!
thx for the info. I cant believe i'm still discovering features for this program. it keeps getting better the more i use it

thx

#9 kics

kics

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:32 AM

cant get it to work on windows vista....

@ the network windows it shows the xbmc upnp server but when connecting to it, it doesnt do anything..... how do i scan my library ?

edit:i think it has something to do with my windows vista because i cant stream from another vista machine with upnp :/

Edited by kics, 23 September 2008 - 02:39 AM.

#10 Demon Of Mibu

Demon Of Mibu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE(obcd @ Jan 11 2008, 05:46 AM) View Post

Hi,

i just did some experimenting with the uPnP features of Xbmc as well.
Xbmc works great as media center, and can stream media from other devices like your pc, however,
it's only capability to work as media server is trough uPnP.

i found some tools on the Intel website, and they also don't see the xbox as uPnP server or renderer.

Only the vista version of windows media player 11 has uPnP buildin.
I still use xp, so I don't know if the xbox is recognised by that package.

I found a package from Cidero that sees the xbox, but it is unable to control it over uPnP....

Let me preface by saying I'm new to Linux in general, let alone XBMC and I'm pretty computer illiterate. Now, In your synaptic package manager their is a tool: "upnp-inspector". The inspector recognizes Rhythmbox as "MediaServer:2 and MediaRenderer:2". Once my Xbox 360 recognized Rhythmbox (just went to my music on the 360 and it showed up) the UPnP Inspector recognized the Xbox as "MediaRenderer:1" Unfortunately, the XBMC was not recognized by the Inspector. And it does't appear that XBMC recognizes the Xbox either. Maybe someone smarter than me could use the Inspector to at least configure a music stream through Rhythmbox to your 360. If so, I'd love to know how. Teach a man to fish!

#11 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:31 PM

Upnp has been working over a year on xbmc to the 360 however it is not without its flaws. It shows up as xbmc and the 360 does not seem to care. It works with the media center in vista and 7 but I have to use nero home to get it to work on xp. Movies work on the 360 but it is limited to about 200 items if your library is bigger than that you will only pull the first 200. I don't think I could get tv shows to work. They are the same type files as my movies and the 360 can play the same files from the pc so that has to have something to do with xbmc unless it has something to do with the file not the container the file is in. It will play tv shows if they are scanned into the library and are accessible in the new episodes category. You maybe able to get around this with the file view instead on the library view. I don't have a 360 anymore I gave it away so I am unable to test it myself to see. And the codec support is not as good on the 360 so all your files might not work.

The upnp inspector for linux shows xbmc upnp on my xboxes so you must have something set wrong in your network. My upnp shows up on every app I have the only issue I have is with xp it can see the upnp devices but can't assess them . That is why I have to use nero home to view them from xp. This does have its upside I can also burn across the network off my xbox with nero home.

The only issue with upnp altogether I have is that with alot of network traffic xboxes refuse to connect to each other and I have to reset the one I am viewing from occasionally. And if you pause a movie when you go to restart it then it will cutoff within 5 minutes so you have to remember to stop the movie instead of pausing so you don't lose your place. When this happens I usually need to reset the viewing xbox to reconnect to the same movie. Also you cant play most files when your running 720p or 1080i. They cut out or blacken the screen you have to run 480p to stop it.

Hope this helps

Edited by run088, 30 December 2009 - 04:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users