6 replies to this topic

#1 Thundercleese

Thundercleese

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

hi there guys ive got a new 360 with 0079fl. I have purchased a passkey79 (with cable and connector) and all other stuff for connect to comp. I removed the black epoxy no problem, but im stuck on the tiny soldering. I chickened out and just put it back together and its working no probs (at least no damage).

Im not very experienced in soldering but I did a little back in school, nothing this tiny. Anyways heres my questions.

1) In maximus install tut step 2 is put solder over pads?? then step 3 is remove solder from pads ? what the?
2) I see how to solder the connector like step 5 no probs, but how to get it to look like step 7 pic i have no idea.
3)Ive never desoldered, but read about it. How will it only suck up excess solder so nothing is bridged on connector, while keeping the connector properly attached and working?
4)Should i just give up and try to find someone to solder for me
5) if i do give up is anyone on here from australia that will do this for a reasonable fee? Or should i just search for an electronics shop perhaps?

Thanks for you time. Please forgive me if these answers are elsewhere, I HAVE searched and read quite a few threads similar but not exactly same questions. Ive also googled a bunch of soldering guides but none seem to have the info i require.

#2 Birdmanrsx

Birdmanrsx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:47 AM

They way I did it and I have never done any soldering that small before was i tinned all the edges on the little connector first and i scratched away some of the top of the solder on the connecter on the board and also applied flux. I then just pressed the connector to the board and just touched each pin until they were all soldered.

I think i had one bridge which i fixed with some desoldering wick, but other than that it went pretty smoth, except for the fact that my drive wouldnt open by its self anymore(had to manually eject it to make the disc load) it would only suck it in and play the dics. I ended up buying a 59dj and did a swap with my key and all is well.

#3 thepiecesfit

thepiecesfit

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Thundercleese @ Jan 10 2008, 10:12 AM) View Post

hi there guys ive got a new 360 with 0079fl. I have purchased a passkey79 (with cable and connector) and all other stuff for connect to comp. I removed the black epoxy no problem, but im stuck on the tiny soldering. I chickened out and just put it back together and its working no probs (at least no damage).

Im not very experienced in soldering but I did a little back in school, nothing this tiny. Anyways heres my questions.

1) In maximus install tut step 2 is put solder over pads?? then step 3 is remove solder from pads ? what the?
2) I see how to solder the connector like step 5 no probs, but how to get it to look like step 7 pic i have no idea.
3)Ive never desoldered, but read about it. How will it only suck up excess solder so nothing is bridged on connector, while keeping the connector properly attached and working?
4)Should i just give up and try to find someone to solder for me
5) if i do give up is anyone on here from australia that will do this for a reasonable fee? Or should i just search for an electronics shop perhaps?

Thanks for you time. Please forgive me if these answers are elsewhere, I HAVE searched and read quite a few threads similar but not exactly same questions. Ive also googled a bunch of soldering guides but none seem to have the info i require.

Get some sand paper and sand the pads gently, lay solder over them and buy yourself a copper desolder braid it will remove any excess when the soldering iron is near. Which step 3 refers to , the desolder braid is copper and pulls solder through it. Your question to 3 yes the desolder braid will take care of that.

You should be using a loupe fixed somewhere so you can magnify the points.

#4 Thundercleese

Thundercleese

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:10 AM

Thanks for your answers guys, i appreciate your tips. Im going to give it a shot soon, i gotta buy some braid. My local hardware warehouse didnt have nothin, probably just buy some off ebay. Anyways thanks again.

#5 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,808 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE(Thundercleese @ Jan 14 2008, 01:46 AM) View Post

Thanks for your answers guys, i appreciate your tips. Im going to give it a shot soon, i gotta buy some braid. My local hardware warehouse didnt have nothin, probably just buy some off ebay. Anyways thanks again.

RadioShack has them.

#6 podger

podger

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:33 AM

You need to go to a Electronic hobbiest store like Maplin in the UK or Radioshack in the US, not sure about Down Under.....
I've also noticed that in textbooks tutorial the solder iron he used is like huge for soldering copper pipes or something.....

You should use a small iron like 12-25 Watts with a very fine tip... This makes the process much easier, and it's very hard to do any damage with it..... A big 50 watt iron will lift pads in an instant, especially with a great big poker on the end of it......

#7 Thundercleese

Thundercleese

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:16 AM

Thanks again people biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users