X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:FIREFIGHTING
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

Is it possible to take apart the xbox wireless adapter to extend the range of the unit? the building I live in is a wi-fi hot spot it part of my rent I can use the hot spot. But how can I get a better signal. I try usb range extender. I have move my xbox live adapters around the apartment by linking several usb cables together. Yet the signal sucks. Now when I go over to my a friends apartment he throws it into my face that he has no problem with his ps3. Which I will not change over to at all. There got to be a way!!!SO thanks for any help

#2 Helios

Helios

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE(sq24 @ Jan 13 2008, 02:43 AM) View Post

Is it possible to take apart the xbox wireless adapter to extend the range of the unit? the building I live in is a wi-fi hot spot it part of my rent I can use the hot spot. But how can I get a better signal. I try usb range extender. I have move my xbox live adapters around the apartment by linking several usb cables together. Yet the signal sucks. Now when I go over to my a friends apartment he throws it into my face that he has no problem with his ps3. Which I will not change over to at all. There got to be a way!!!SO thanks for any help

I am not sure if the wireless adapter has a screw off antenna like computer wireless cards but if it does, just take off that small antenna and replace it with the large ones that Netgear provide.

If you want to go with a cheap solution you could always extend the antenna, and rig up an old lamp and a sifter so you have a satellite like setup in your room that is hooked up to your 360, then wherever you point the mini dish to, it will pick up the signal much better.

Look around on the internet on how to set one of those things up. It isn't hard and a few people do it to strengthen their wireless signals.

Another, much cheaper alternative is to get aluminium foil, fold it over so it is twice the thickness, make the edges nice and smooth and then curve it around both your wireless router and your 360's adapter to strengthen their signals. So the aluminium foil would be curved around like a hemisphere

#3 tiburonblanco

tiburonblanco

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:26 AM

take a look on this link http://mx.youtube.co...h?v=ugvEI-TwGLU according to this guy you can improve it.

Good luck

#4 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:48 AM

the guy in that video is an idiot. foil will not increase the signal, it will completly kill it. foil will block out any signals passing through it

the only thing you can do is buy a bigger antennae for your router or buy a better router

#5 foogrrr

foogrrr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

The only way i have read on how to extend the a wireless recievers range is to manually lengthen the antenna in the device. Sadly, you need to actually know logarithmic equations to know the thickness vs. length and power needed to properly recieve the signal.

blindly lengthening the antenna without doing the math results in a wireless device that cannot properly process the signals due to noise interference or lack of signal strength.

Your best bet, is to purchase a designed (20-100+ USD) antenna for your router, as this will give the biggest boost in range/strength.

Tinfoil will not work, it will harm the signal more than help it =(

#6 Jasica Smith

Jasica Smith

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

Look around on the internet on how to set one of those things up. It isn't hard and a few people do it to strengthen their wireless signals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users