• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 syntaxerror329

syntaxerror329

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Downhill Skiing, Xbox Mod Chips, Xbox Repair, Wiikey, ARGON, D2pro, XBOX360,
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:55 AM

I have installed 2 ARGON chips now and just wanted to let people know they are working good. I ordered 3 more right away. This install method is referred to as the miss a pin because no pins must be soldered to side by side. This makes it just easy enough for me to do it. Get a Jewellers mask!

Shot of ARGON install showing entire install.
Close up shot.
Video Showing ARGON Boot of SMG backup

IPB Image

Known Bugs,

1 ) A few of the games lock eventually if you just leave them playing their intro video in a loop.
2 ) Occasionally it seems to need to try twice to read a backup. (but it does read it fine just wastes a few seconds)
3 ) If you eject a game during play (why would you) You can't just put the disk back in a resume like normal.
4) A few games including SMG are known to have some freeze/lock issues

This chip is updatable via the optional Injectus programmer. I expect to be able to get the programmer by end of January and once they are ready for sale I expect a update will follow that will probably address and correct all of the above issues. (who is going to buy the programmer if there is no update smile.gif

Because of the update feature a 20 inch long (really I measured) ribbon cable is included. I am just feeding these cables out the beside the USB port and they curl up like a pig tail. lol. I cover the end exposed connectors of the ribbon with some electrical tape to protect it.

This was the hardest install i have ever done. I remember when i was scarred to do the xbox 1.6 rebuild now i can do those in my sleep. If anyone is thinking of trying this my suggestion is find a old hard drive or something with small .5 mm chips on it and try soldering some 30awg kynar onto the pins. I practiced for a hour every day untill my chips arrived and it paid off big time. (you should see the mess i made of the first couple i tried)

Thanks for reading my review.

#2 syntaxerror329

syntaxerror329

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Downhill Skiing, Xbox Mod Chips, Xbox Repair, Wiikey, ARGON, D2pro, XBOX360,

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:49 AM

I have had a lot of my customers ask about this update ribbon cable.
Some of them thought i cut a hole in the side of thier Wii when they heard.
I decided to make something up in photoshop showing exactly how it looks when assembled.

IPB Image

That should solve all those questions smile.gif

#3 TurboTronix

TurboTronix

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:35 AM

Nice review! I am waiting for the Infectus2 to be released here in Canada/USA...it should come with the USB programmer making that flat cable handy smile.gif

#4 peter7431

peter7431

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

So Galaxy is working with the Argon?

#5 syntaxerror329

syntaxerror329

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(peter7431 @ Jan 17 2008, 12:46 PM) View Post

So Galaxy is working with the Argon?

Galaxy boots but is known to have some freezing issues.

A firmware update came out yesterday for ARGON. Too bad almost no one has the programmer yet to update it. The chip can be updated with Infectus 1 or 2 however not thru the ribbon cable. You have to solder wires (on the bottom of ARGON) to update it thru infectus. The ribbon cable only works for Injectus.

So far i have installed 4 Argons.

#6 solid7x2

solid7x2

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:29 PM

So it sounds like you have done a few Argons eh? Have you had any problems yet?

I am anxious to get the Argon, but a bit hesitant because there arent many reviews yet.

I have a co-worker who used to build motherboards with tiny points, so installation wont be a problem.

In addition, i noticed Modchip.ca has the argon AND the injectus. I was going to order from there because that was the only site i can find with the Injectus. I think its important to have because if for some reason an update is needed, I don't want to have to wait. It will also save on shipping, and they claim shipping to the US in 48 hours for 10 bucks. The injectus is an additional 25 bucks, which seems a little high, but I think its absolutely necessary. The total with shipping comes to $95 USD.

#7 syntaxerror329

syntaxerror329

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

If you order from modchip.ca they have already updated their chips to a newer firmware that is expected to address most of the known bugs. Another update is coming in Feb. so you still best get a programmer.

$25 is really not bad for a USB programmer. If it was a serial port programmer that would be alot cheaper to build. For me the cost of $25 get divided into the 5 machines i already chipped and into the perhaps dozens more i will be doing.

I plan on grabbing 2 more chips and a programmer on my next order. I am getting a brand new Wii in a few hours. My local Toys r Us has 30 at 9:30am I guess i should get there at 7:30

One thing kinda pissing me off is that Infectus announced you will need to connect 3 more wires to get the region free feature working so Chip will be a 16 wire install in about a day when the new wiring diagram is released. 13 wires is all you need for basic install.

I still think ARGON is the best solution.

I should be able to confirm the bug fixes are working within 6 days once i have my programmer.

#8 bulle48

bulle48

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:55 PM

My review of Argon:
I've installed 2 of these chips (they are early version 1.0 that were pre-ordered). They were much easier to install then d2ckey.

My biggest problem is Argon originally advertised all functionality of D2Ckey in 13-wire solution, and updateable to cover any future copy protection. This was not at all what I received.

So far with both chips using fw1.0:
  1. all backups are recognized when inserted (after spinning and stopping the disc 3 times)
  2. less than %50 of games will play without freezing during fmv sequences (freezing and drive resets are apparently fixed in fw1.1/1.2)
  3. no import support (althouth in Feb. fw1.3 is supposed to allow imports to boot, but requires an extra 3 wires, where they go has yet to be announced)
  4. no gamecube support (somehow all threads regarding gamecube & argon were combined in to one, and then it was deleted from Infectus Forums, very sneaky).

Also when I ordered the chip I expected it to have a usb connector similar to the Infectus chip to allow programming of updates. When I received the chip it came with this flat cable, and now they say you have to buy a $30 programmer.

I have faith that infectus will be able to deliver what was promised, but who knows how long it will take them to develop and how many wires we'll have to add... If you want a chip that is known to work now with all features, and are good at soldering 0.5mm ICs then get d2ckey. If you want flexibility to update if nintendo makes any changes to the copy-protection, and you don't care too much to wait for import or gamecube support get Argon.

#9 solid7x2

solid7x2

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

thats interesting about the gamecube. I never had a gamecube so im interested to see if this is fixed.

I tried looking around on this topic and not seen much.

Syntaxerror: since you have done a few installs, can you verify if gamecube is supported in v1.1?

If so, im going to go ahead and get the argon.

#10 TurboTronix

TurboTronix

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:44 PM

Even if there is an issue, since this is hooked up to a programmer there should always be a fix (since the chip can always be reprogrammed). The 4 extra wires that are needed for foreign games are very easy to solder based on the new diagrams so no big deal there. As for the price, just get the Infectus2 which comes with a USB programmer (for 69$ CND total) thus eliminating any extra cost.

IPB Image

#11 solid7x2

solid7x2

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:20 PM

Its a $15 dollar difference... and modchip.ca looks like they have the infectus2 in stock... guess ill be placing an order.

#12 TurboTronix

TurboTronix

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE(solid7x2 @ Jan 22 2008, 09:56 PM) View Post

Its a $15 dollar difference... and modchip.ca looks like they have the infectus2 in stock... guess ill be placing an order.

They can't have it in stock since it is only going to be released on Jan 22nd smile.gif
As for modchip, they are going to receive their stock this friday (Jan 25th). I am on the waiting list myself.

#13 solid7x2

solid7x2

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

moving this post to a new topic...

Edited by solid7x2, 23 January 2008 - 04:18 PM.

#14 terrible_buddhist

terrible_buddhist

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:05 PM

I am a bit baffled...why would any one chose the argon over the I2?

#15 TurboTronix

TurboTronix

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:14 AM

QUOTE(terrible_buddhist @ Jan 23 2008, 06:41 PM) View Post

I am a bit baffled...why would any one chose the argon over the I2?

Its not a matter of choice, Aragon was on the market, Infectus2 was officially released on the 22 Jan. So the ones who couldn't wait got the Aragon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users