Grim187

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:27 AM

that could be caused by 1 of 3 things, there different brands of fans, there isn't a good enough connection on the bridge or the amperage allowed by the controller isn't what it would be from your other source.

it would be easy to test if you have a multi meter.

#17 bugman72

bugman72

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:54 PM

The fan used was a stock 360 fan (of course, who knows if ONE manufacturer is used throughout). I know that I had an excellent connection on the bridge (I used to solder modchips on PS1s, so I'm used to finite soldering), so I don't think that this was the issue. I'd have to venture a guess that your third option was the issue. I didn't bother testing it out, as I knew the wire-cutting method worked.

Believe me, I'm not knocking the method outlined here...I just wanted others to know about the potential for less than perfect performance when doing this version of the 12V mod.

#18 BurnDown

BurnDown

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the tut, just done this mod! I added a switch becuase 12V is way too loud when just watching a movie or listening to music.

I have a small question...

I just did the mod on the transistor on the top of the motherboard (V1), as i have done the x-clamp mod and didn't want to take the whole thing out. Only my GPU fan is running at 12V, the CPU fan remains at 5V. Is the CPU fan controlled by the transistor on the underside of the mobo??

#19 BurnDown

BurnDown

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:01 PM

Sorry to double post, but I have another question...

After doing the mod, are the fans actually running at 12V or 17V (12V + 5V)?? Only one of my fans is modded (as explained in previous post), and I have cut out the mesh in the back of the metal chassis and the case, yet it is still painfully loud. My other 360 has both the fans modded to 12V (wires cut) and the mesh is still in place, yet it is nowhere near as loud as the one I have modded today.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

#20 nka04a

nka04a

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 28 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE(BurnDown @ Jan 22 2008, 01:04 PM) View Post

Thanks for the tut, just done this mod! I added a switch becuase 12V is way too loud when just watching a movie or listening to music.

I have a small question...

I just did the mod on the transistor on the top of the motherboard (V1), as i have done the x-clamp mod and didn't want to take the whole thing out. Only my GPU fan is running at 12V, the CPU fan remains at 5V. Is the CPU fan controlled by the transistor on the underside of the mobo??

It seems like this is true. I just tried it and just with the one on the top of the v1 mobo just the GPU side was at 12v. I also divided the fan shroud. I left it this way to cut down on noise level.

#21 Grim187

Grim187

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE(bugman72 @ Jan 22 2008, 08:30 AM) View Post

The fan used was a stock 360 fan (of course, who knows if ONE manufacturer is used throughout).

i believe there's 5 different brands of fans that are in the 360, delta (the best and loudest), sunon (crap) and nidec (really crap, but are the quietest) are the ones i have here.

so i tested it and you guys where right, the points to bridge on top will only 12v the gpu fan (and the point under the board is the opposite), i will update the tut with the other bridges for both top and bottom.

#22 Grim187

Grim187

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:25 AM

Update:
Added: CPU points to the top and "Both" Points to the bottom of V1 Xenon.

#23 CopyLifted

CopyLifted

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(Grim187 @ Jan 22 2008, 07:01 PM) View Post

Update:
Added: CPU points to the top and "Both" Points to the bottom of V1 Xenon.

Thanks for the update. I had finished up the GPU bridge and was about to put it back together. I decided to check this thread one more time and you had updated it to include the CPU as well.

It works great. Thanks again. smile.gif

Edit: btw, I have the delta fans. Yes, they are very loud. Oh well, I can deal with that. This, along with the fan shroud mod "should" keep it running cooler. A little extra noise to insure extra cooling won't kill me, or my kids.

Edited by CopyLifted, 23 January 2008 - 06:27 AM.

#24 Grim187

Grim187

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:13 PM

i never knew each fan had its own controller but it looks like that's the case on the falcon aswell, i believe the top point is CPU and im not sure about the bottom, i will have to wait until i get my next one in to find out.

#25 HoBoz

HoBoz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(Grim187 @ Jan 18 2008, 03:58 PM) View Post

don't use t-taps, if you really want to do it right now there's a big mosfet right around the same spot on the underside, just wire one of the legs to the head.
if you want more control put the middle leg to the right side of the onboard transistor and get 12v and 5v from under the power connector that way you should be able to use the pet to go from 5v all the way to 12v.

So if I am reading you right this is the way to wire the pot or not?

IPB Image

Or am I missing something?

#26 HoBoz

HoBoz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

Would not let me edit.

Or does the unused pin on the pot need to be jumpered to the middle leg on the pot? I am a little confused. unsure.gif

#27 HoBoz

HoBoz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

Never Mind biggrin.gif

Me and my dumb ass did not read the post correctly. I see now what you meant. The only thing that I am unsure about is the jumper shown in the below pic. Does it need to be jumpered at all since the Line-In will supply the voltage coming from the Pot? My guess is it does not, but I would like some input on this before I do the wiring.

IPB Image

Could a Mod please delete my two posts above this, I don't want to confuse anyone.

Thanks,
HoBoZ

Edited by HoBoz, 30 January 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#28 Grim187

Grim187

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

that would supply the fans with 12v all the time and the pot wouldn't do anything, you where on the right track the first time its just the middle pin or you can use the head.

edit:
p.s. still connect the 12v to the other side of the pot so you can go from 5v to 12v in one turn.
p.s.s. you can get the 12v from the pin on the right side and the 5v from pin 12 under the back usb port or the left side of the surface mount capacitor in front of the CPU.

Edited by Grim187, 30 January 2008 - 10:07 PM.

#29 HoBoz

HoBoz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:28 PM

So you are saying that my 2nd pic is right? But leave the jumper on the transitor? I am getting a little confused. Could you perhaps draw me a pic. laugh.gif laugh.gif

#30 Grim187

Grim187

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:07 AM

i suck at diagrams but this is what you need to do;
IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic