• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 stholt

stholt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:07 PM

Anyone else been having issues with divx/xvid files with 5.1 ac3 sound? It seems like every way I try to get this to work, while watching it streamed over a network hardline through WMP11, about every five minutes or so the video stutters/skips for a second or two and then it's fine. I've demuxed the video and converted the ac3 to a stereo mp3 and remuxed it and the whole thing plays just fine(I've done this on more than one source), so i figure it's something with the divx/xvid/ac3 "support" MS has given us. Any thoughts? I usually use VirtualDubMod for the muxing, is there a better program out there? I like to use divx/avid because I get almost realtime encoding with great quality, whereas WMV takes 12-15 hours to encode.

#2 imdickie

imdickie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(stholt @ Jan 15 2008, 06:43 AM) View Post

Anyone else been having issues with divx/xvid files with 5.1 ac3 sound? It seems like every way I try to get this to work, while watching it streamed over a network hardline through WMP11, about every five minutes or so the video stutters/skips for a second or two and then it's fine. I've demuxed the video and converted the ac3 to a stereo mp3 and remuxed it and the whole thing plays just fine(I've done this on more than one source), so i figure it's something with the divx/xvid/ac3 "support" MS has given us. Any thoughts? I usually use VirtualDubMod for the muxing, is there a better program out there? I like to use divx/avid because I get almost realtime encoding with great quality, whereas WMV takes 12-15 hours to encode.

I have the same issue. WMV's even 1080p ones stream fine with no glitches. High Def AVI's will play for a few minutes they stumble the video and catch up. It seems like the audio isn't affected.

My setup is a dedicated machine loaded with HD Xvid/AC3 transcoded files using mencoder command line to transcode them. My network is wired on a gigabit backbone. The system properties of my computer while transmitting the file are less than 10% of processor and network. Oddly enough if I restart everything in sequence router-->switch-->computer-->360 I can usually get it to work perfectly. Then if anything changes like I play a game or I pause the movie to go take a wiz it starts all over again.

I suspect it is a processing power issue with the 360 as it happens much more frequently the higher resolution the video is. I haven't really delved into the bit rates or anything like that yet do to time but I when can I will post a reply.

I would really like to figure this out as I am using my set up to store all of my HD-DVD's I have been buying used on ebay. I rip them and encode them to Xvid/AC3. Most of them run between 4GB and 8GB for future burning to DVD or dual layer DVD.

#3 robert74

robert74

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

Im having the same problem. File stuttering every 5 to 6 minutes. I made some tests and I figured it must have something to do with a "multi-part OPENDML .avi" while had no problems with simple OPENDML .avis. If there is someone who can fix this help would be appreciated!

Edited by robert74, 28 January 2008 - 08:40 PM.

#4 imdickie

imdickie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE(robert74 @ Jan 28 2008, 12:10 PM) View Post

Im having the same problem. File stuttering every 5 to 6 minutes. I made some tests and I figured it must have something to do with a "multi-part OPENDML .avi" while had no problems with simple OPENDML .avis. If there is someone who can fix this help would be appreciated!

Odd that it is Open DML. From what I understand that is the difference between AVI 1.0 and AVI 2.0 but I may be wrong. Most encoders give you an option to enable or disable OpenDML. I use mencoder command line so will have to dig and find out which switch turns it on or off.

#5 robert74

robert74

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:03 AM

Still no solution guys?
I made a clean install of all my codecs just be sure. No luck.
Still having 5 to 6 minute skips. Are we the onlyoneshaving this problem?

#6 dannyboyuk

dannyboyuk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:01 PM

This is happening to me when watching stuff I've burned to a DVD too. Probably every 8-10 minutes. I can live with it- but it is annoying and I'd rather do without it!!!

#7 Hexanon

Hexanon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:17 AM

I get it about every 20 mins. It only happens on my 5.1 HD Divx videos.

#8 reddragon72

reddragon72

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

I too have this issue. An AVI file with XVID and AC3 will stutter in the exact same locations ever single time and always to the same degree. The sound plays fine but the video studders. I have several xvids at 720p with AC3, around 3gigs(they look absolutly amazing at 3gigs). I have tried lowering the bitrate all the way down to 1K and the problem still exists. I will now pull the sound all together and see what happens. Also will do some MP3 conversions and see what happens. But I want 5.1 with HD so if this cannot be worked around then I'll be forced to use the crappy WMV format at a higher bitrate and bigger file size.

Also the OpenDML allows AVI's to be bigger than 2gig's so you need that in there. But can you see if that is in fact an issue?

I came here cause I have been working with the guys at doom9 on the AutoMKV program and found his program to be near perfect for converting anything to xvid including HD vids, but I came accross the same issue here so it looks like it is not tied to his program.

#9 jev3gs

jev3gs

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:23 AM

I am in the same boat as all you guys. I was pulling my hair out for about 2 weeks until I finally came to the conclusion that the 360 will simply NOT play any Divx/Xvid file with AC3 sound without stuttering in the same exact spots everytime. I only had 1 movie that I was actually able to keep the AC3 sound in, but it was a cartoon so who knows it if really utilized all the channels to begin with. If anyone has found a way to keep AC3 sound in Divx/Xvid files please let me know. I have made AVI from 1GB to 4GB and they all have the same stuttering problem. I wish there was just a way to keep 5.1 sound in my movies.

#10 robert74

robert74

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE(jev3gs @ Mar 11 2008, 05:59 AM) View Post

I am in the same boat as all you guys. I was pulling my hair out for about 2 weeks until I finally came to the conclusion that the 360 will simply NOT play any Divx/Xvid file with AC3 sound without stuttering in the same exact spots everytime. I only had 1 movie that I was actually able to keep the AC3 sound in, but it was a cartoon so who knows it if really utilized all the channels to begin with. If anyone has found a way to keep AC3 sound in Divx/Xvid files please let me know. I have made AVI from 1GB to 4GB and they all have the same stuttering problem. I wish there was just a way to keep 5.1 sound in my movies.

Testing Hd xvids(720p) less than 1gb worked with 5.1 dolby surround. I wrote xbox support and still dont have an answer. Basically, we are still stuck with wmv-hd.

#11 reddragon72

reddragon72

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(robert74 @ Mar 11 2008, 12:20 AM) View Post

Testing Hd xvids(720p) less than 1gb worked with 5.1 dolby surround. I wrote xbox support and still dont have an answer. Basically, we are still stuck with wmv-hd.

I have an idea on what might be causeing this and will be testing my idea this weekend, so expect an answer on monday..... I think I know what is wrong, based on the WMV-HD issues with the 41sec skip :-) I might have it!

#12 septurious

septurious

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

Hey guys,

I've been banging my head against this problem for awhile now and haven't come up with a solution. Whether encoding with DIVX/XVID the problem persists if you have 5.1 AC3 sound. (Just as you guys have already discussed)

Now at one point I was trying a bunch of different things and rather then re-encode the whole movie I just did the first 15minutes encoded a bunch of different ways. Every single one of the 15 minute encodes worked without a glitch. (Normally this particular movie glitched roughly every 4 minutes)

I'm encoding a 30min chunk now to see when I hit the problem. (I've already done half the movie and the problem shows up)

The other interesting thing is how GSpot responds to the file. It says the 15 minute chunk is a normal DIVX file etc etc but my full movie is marked as having "Garbage" at the end.

I've also made the mistake of encoding AC3 but 2ch Stereo and of course it works without any issues. I've been trying for WEEKS to figure out how to get this going, I do NOT like the 33hour WMV encodes versus 3.5 hours for DIVX and I certainly can't tell any quality difference.

If anyone would like me to try specific combinations or has any ideas just let me know.

Thanks all,

Septurious

#13 reddragon72

reddragon72

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

ok over the weekend I did a typical encode with AutoMKV, and TMPGEnc. both produced the same stuttering i nthe exact same locations in the movie.

I then moved the AC3 track back 1 minute so it is one minute behind the video and the stuttering remained in the same place. I then ripped the AC3 out and played the movie and it was fine. I interleaved and no-interleaved the audio video, still nothing.

so far it seems that if the bitrate is CBR at 1000 it works at 1100 the stutter appears. If I attach a high bitrate MP3 VBR it plays fine.

I decided to create a blank AC3 file and see what happens. No stuttering occured. Then I put two channels in it and the movie played fine. I added the LFE and boom issues. I removed the LFE and added one rear ch and boom issue appeared. So it seems that there is something going on with the AC3 decoding capabilities of the 360.

All that testing was with xvid. This week I am going to use the divx codec to encode and then add the AC3 via nandub and see what happens. There is no much a differance between the Divx and Xvid codec, but maybe just maybe I can get some other results....

FYI I tried several encodes with 23.976 and 29.976 framerates and there was no change.

#14 septurious

septurious

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:22 AM

Hey guys,

I did some tests this weekend and ran into two things.

1. My 45 minute encode worked like a champ, no errors no glitches 5.1 sound. From GSpot it is described as:
File Length Correct
DivX Style "packed bitstream" AVI
OpenDML (AVI v2.0)
Interleave: 1 vid frame (42 ms), preload=512
Audio frames: Aligned on interleaves
Video: 1.21 GB (89.02%)
Audio: 150 MB (10.76%)
AVI Overhead: 3.09 MB (0.22%)

2. At 57 minutes (A different encode) the 360 quit playback of the file saying it couldn't play it, I had to back out of the video menu then go back in click on the file, click resume and could continue watching it.

3. I did several encodes today from 56 minutes ranging up to 80 minutes and at 80mins GSpot treats the file differently and you get:

File Length Correct
DivX Style "packed bitstream" AVI
Multipart OpenDML AVI (2 parts)
(105016 frames in first part, 14985 frames follow)
Interleave: 1 vid frame (42 ms), preload=512
Audio frames: Aligned on interleaves

I'm going to try and see which of the files works without glitching tonight or tomorrow. I'm wondering if it isn't something with a long encode and if done in chunks and then glued together afterward would help. Though I'm sure you guys know more about how all this works then I and could possibly explain what's happening.

Iskondi

#15 reddragon72

reddragon72

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

Let me give you a little history. AVI containers were created by microsoft back in windows 3.1 and had then a very limited amount of space. As time went on MS continued to update the container until they dropped it for the ASF container(mainly created for streaming) well that did not go over well for video archiving since the video would be served from a local harddrive and the ASF was designed for streaming. Then MS created the WMV container that could do both streaming and archiving. So in the light of WMV MS found no need to develop the AVI or ASF containers anymore. So the AVI container was stuck with a 2Gig file size limit. Well that wasn't working for those that used the Xvid and Divx codecs, so they went to work to fix it and created a way that will allow the AVI container to run over the 2Gig limit hince the openDML you are seeing. OpenDML works for the most part but masks the true AVI contents when it passes 2gigs, cause it actually takes the two or more file parts and melds them together. Now I could be off on a few things there, but it is basically just a run down.

So now that you have seen the openDML you have seen the issue. I just found it last night while running the encode through TMPGEnc. There is an extra tab that will allow you to set a container size upto 4gigs. Also after loking into this it seems to also be an issue with XBMP from back in 2004, not sure if a cure was found, but we can try putting the Xvid file Divx container and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users