46 replies to this topic

#31 Dat720

Dat720

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(reddragon72 @ Mar 20 2008, 01:20 AM) View Post
so now I have to figure out why the video is skipping one frame every 4 seconds or so.

You video is skipping because you have applied frame rate conversion, i would think you have converted a 23.976fps video to a 25fps video, for this frame rate conversion the encoder has to insert a duplicate frame or 2 to pad the video upto 25fps, generally i would pretty much leave the frame rate alone, unless for instance it had to be convert from a ntsc film to a pal dvd which would require a frame rate conversion...

anyway getting to my orginal intent for this post, i do not think the skipping issue is to do with a bug in ac3 5.1ch audio i think it is a issue with the hardware itself, My transformers HD DVD rip 11mbps 1920x800 256k mp3 (behaves the same with ac3 2.0 and 5.1) 12gb avi that exhibits these issues, even if i reencode at 1280x534 at high bitrate it skips, it seems to stop skipping when the bitrate goes low, below about 6-7mbps it must be a hardware constraint, either not having enough memory or gpu not being fast enough to decode and playback a high bitrate video, even my Pentium D 3.2ghz 2gb ram 512mb ati 2400pro pc has problems with video at this res and bitrate

#32 reddragon72

reddragon72

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

well as said splitting the video into 1.9gig segments fixes the issue or removing the AC3 track and replacing it with a MP3 track fixes it. With that said it is not a FR issue, and it is not a bitrate issue, it is infact a broken codec issue on the 360 and to this end there is no way it will be fixed. Simply split the video into smaller parts or use WMVHD.

#33 jev3gs

jev3gs

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE(reddragon72 @ May 2 2008, 01:23 PM) View Post

well as said splitting the video into 1.9gig segments fixes the issue or removing the AC3 track and replacing it with a MP3 track fixes it. With that said it is not a FR issue, and it is not a bitrate issue, it is infact a broken codec issue on the 360 and to this end there is no way it will be fixed. Simply split the video into smaller parts or use WMVHD.

Red, do you know an easy way to convert Divx to WMVHD, or even DVD's to WMVHD? I haven't come across a program yet that could do it in one step. I really just want to be able to start converting my DVD library to something that I can stream with 5.1 audio.

#34 reddragon72

reddragon72

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(jev3gs @ May 18 2008, 10:37 PM) View Post

Red, do you know an easy way to convert Divx to WMVHD, or even DVD's to WMVHD? I haven't come across a program yet that could do it in one step. I really just want to be able to start converting my DVD library to something that I can stream with 5.1 audio.

there is no one step conversion and anyone that tells you this is full of it, and they are producing subpar picture quality. There are a few programs out there, but to stop you from comming back here beanging your head cause it is not working I am going to suggest ChrisLynch's way. It is very simple and works for my 100% of the time, and I have never been dissapointed.

here is the post.
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=639697

get all the programs from various locations, I cannot help you with that due to copywrite issues, and have at it, like I said I have had a 100% success rate with this. It is timely, but if you want quality then this is the way to go, if you are in a hurry then google the crappy one steps, and I mean crappy in a literal sense!

#35 jev3gs

jev3gs

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:15 AM

Thanks Red! That will definetly get me started. I am just banging my head against the wall here on making 5.1 good quality movies of my collection. Hopefully one day Microsoft fixes their codec

#36 MCLFLN

MCLFLN

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:33 AM

I am glad I found this post....I have been going crazy trying to troubleshoot the cause.

#37 haterzwantwar

haterzwantwar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

OK slightly less technical solution that I came across which solved it for me at least, that may or may not help some people. Although I would like to state that I only playback 1.45gb Xvid's with AC3, by the looks of it most of you are using much higher quality rips than this.

When I used to use an 250gb external IDE (7200rpm) 3.5" HD plugged in to the Xbox USB I used to get the stuttering issues... However since swapping to a 160gb Maxtor Onetouch Mini USB powered 2.5" external HD (5200rpm) the 1.45gb AC3 rips play perfect, the only film I did get the stuttering with was Southland Tales which was like 2.1gb.... so file size does seem to play a role in this case.

I'm no expert on hard drives or the technical side of video playback but I was thinking maybe my problem was solved due to the reduced surface area of the platters in a 2.5" drive and therefore quicker seek times?

Although the 2.5" HD on paper is in fact the slower drive?!

#38 srpape

srpape

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:09 AM

Any update on this? I'm having the same issue, and really struggling trying to find an easy way to convert my Xvid/AC3 files to WMV with surround. I posted a link to here on the xbox 360 forums, but they erased it saying links to "hacking sites" aren't allowed.

#39 motorrotor

motorrotor

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(srpape @ Apr 1 2009, 01:09 AM) View Post

Any update on this? I'm having the same issue, and really struggling trying to find an easy way to convert my Xvid/AC3 files to WMV with surround. I posted a link to here on the xbox 360 forums, but they erased it saying links to "hacking sites" aren't allowed.

Having same problem but might be able to help.

The problem is caused by attempting to pass a digital signal through an analogue output.

It's nothing (as far as I can tell) to do with the video bitrate. I have been experiment with the xvid decoder FAIRUSE, and have found that all my xvids work in both analogue and digital output.

Apart from 1 type.

384kbps AC3

448kbps works fine - I've got an Xvid in AC3 5.1 of Transformers, Quantized to 2 at around the 3Gb mark. Plays beautifully.

Harry Potter (2, 3, 4 and 5) are same Q, around 1.9Gb. But stutter when pushed through analogue.

These have a 384kbps AC3 5.1 track.

1. Sort of useful Solution (takes around 7 mins to re-encode):

VideoDubMod - (Open Video) - Audio - Streams - Stream List - Interlaced - 160ms Preload, 160ms Frame Interleave - Full Processing Mode - Video - Direct Stream Copy - Save as.

Unfortunately, the file size increases exponentially, but it works in analogue. This re-interlaces the audio with the video at a more efficient rate (and adheres to AC3 32 frame standard).

2. Works Every Time Solution:[b]

Don't re-encode,
Output video to SVideo / Component / Composite (don't plug in the audio cable)
Output Audio to Digital (Optical or Coaxial).

Job Done. (For me, anyway), but best of luck.

#40 k3nnis

k3nnis

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info. So will this work if I was using HDMI?

Also do you have a solution to have a MKV to playback on the 360 with 5.1 sound?

Thanks,
Kenn.

QUOTE(motorrotor @ Jun 11 2009, 06:23 PM) View Post

The problem is caused by attempting to pass a digital signal through an analogue output.

It's nothing (as far as I can tell) to do with the video bitrate. I have been experiment with the xvid decoder FAIRUSE, and have found that all my xvids work in both analogue and digital output.

Apart from 1 type.

384kbps AC3

448kbps works fine - I've got an Xvid in AC3 5.1 of Transformers, Quantized to 2 at around the 3Gb mark. Plays beautifully.

Harry Potter (2, 3, 4 and 5) are same Q, around 1.9Gb. But stutter when pushed through analogue.

VideoDubMod - (Open Video) - Audio - Streams - Stream List - Interlaced - 160ms Preload, 160ms Frame Interleave - Full Processing Mode - Video - Direct Stream Copy - Save as.

Unfortunately, the file size increases exponentially, but it works in analogue. This re-interlaces the audio with the video at a more efficient rate (and adheres to AC3 32 frame standard).

Don't re-encode,

#41 srpape

srpape

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:52 PM

Well, I'm already using optical audio output so that's not my problem. I don't see how that would make the video stutter anyway. Maybe I'll try reencoding a movie.

QUOTE(motorrotor @ Jun 11 2009, 01:23 PM) View Post

Apart from 1 type.

384kbps AC3

Don't re-encode,

#42 srpape

srpape

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:37 PM

Unfortunately reencoding the file didn't help me, but my problem wasn't an analog output so maybe we're seeing two different problems. :/

#43 war59312

war59312

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Computers, Internet, Soccer
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:34 AM

Still no fix for this?

Besides having to re-encode ac3 audio to stereo.

#44 asics shoes

asics shoes

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

ohmy.gif

#45 misteromar

misteromar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

I had problems with a xvid encode that had AC3 5.1. (Played via WMC, xbox 360 extender)

I encoded the audio to AC3stereo but still had slight stuttering.

I look at their specs and it seems to me it is mp3 only for xvid .avi For h264 it is faac stereo only. But also I think the problem only occurs with encodes with high resolution. So AC3 audio and high resolution, 720 or above, then stuttering occurs. It happens with HD tv rips and some high quality movie rips.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945416

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users