Photo

Spring Update With Original Firmware Or Latest Ixtreme?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 richiecaf

richiecaf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

Just looking for opinions/advice (from knowledgable sources) as to which firmware to flash before I update to the Spring 07' update: the stock firmware or an ixtreme version?

I have a Samsung MS-25, currently with an xtreme (5.3A, i think).

Also have a talismoon whisperfan which replaced the stock. Still 5V, so I'm assuming this won't get me banned.

I've never been on LIVE (I don't even have enough time to play video games with my real friends, nonetheless an online community).

This whole thing started because I need h264 support (In the Spring update) so I can stream my 720p mp4 movies without transcoding in TVersity. I believe the only way to get this update is through LIVE, unless someone knows of a GAME with the Spring Update preloaded??

My inkling is that as soon as I get on LIVE to update, M$ will log my info and the next time (if ever) I go back on, they will ban me if I'm not using the same exact firmware. With this in mind, I would lean toward going on initially (to update) with my unmodified firmware, then later on (if I choose) with the latest ixtreme which is presumably "safe".

OPINIONS? COMMENTS? BANTER?

BTW..I resent the fact that I need to register for a Silver Membership in order to obain the Spring 07' update over the internet (NO OFFLINE SETUP was obtainable on the web and 360.com's support page is a JOKE.). ,

#2 cypher21

cypher21

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE(richiecaf @ Jan 15 2008, 08:27 PM) View Post

Just looking for opinions/advice (from knowledgable sources) as to which firmware to flash before I update to the Spring 07' update: the stock firmware or an ixtreme version?

I have a Samsung MS-25, currently with an xtreme (5.3A, i think).

Also have a talismoon whisperfan which replaced the stock. Still 5V, so I'm assuming this won't get me banned.

I've never been on LIVE (I don't even have enough time to play video games with my real friends, nonetheless an online community).

This whole thing started because I need h264 support (In the Spring update) so I can stream my 720p mp4 movies without transcoding in TVersity. I believe the only way to get this update is through LIVE, unless someone knows of a GAME with the Spring Update preloaded??

My inkling is that as soon as I get on LIVE to update, M$ will log my info and the next time (if ever) I go back on, they will ban me if I'm not using the same exact firmware. With this in mind, I would lean toward going on initially (to update) with my unmodified firmware, then later on (if I choose) with the latest ixtreme which is presumably "safe".
OPINIONS? COMMENTS? BANTER?

BTW..I resent the fact that I need to register for a Silver Membership in order to obain the Spring 07' update over the internet (NO OFFLINE SETUP was obtainable on the web and 360.com's support page is a JOKE.). ,

firmware doesn't matter, and a silver subscription is NOT needed

Just be sure you don't have a disc in the drive, and do a networkconnection test. It will ask you if you want to update

#3 Toddler

Toddler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:48 PM

Won't he need a Silver sub to download the codecs from Marketplace?

#4 richiecaf

richiecaf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE(cypher21 @ Jan 15 2008, 09:45 PM) View Post

firmware doesn't matter, and a silver subscription is NOT needed

Just be sure you don't have a disc in the drive, and do a networkconnection test. It will ask you if you want to update

Thanks. I'll try this out tonight and report back.

But when I went to play the stream from my computer in Video, it said that in order to play it I needed to sign onto LIVE and get the updates.

#5 richiecaf

richiecaf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:24 AM

Unplayable Content

A media update is required to play this content. To get the update, sign in to XBOV LIVE and play the content again.

Status code: 51-C00DF236

I got this message before, and now again after updating to God-knows-what via the Test Your XBOX LIVE Connection "feature". So, the second person to respond to my post was right. First guy, you had a great idea and I was really psyched about it, but ultimately my inability to read (and trust) was my demise.

I HAVE to Sign up for XBOX LIVE to get codecs I already own. Thanks M$.
I could probably very easily get them on here if I were as talented as many of you.

RANT TIME.
This is why I hate Microsoft. And I hope one (or many) of their dominions read this. You invent hardware (and grossly for the accessories to that system) which does many wonderful things. You hold back the full capabilities of your system, and you seek out users who defy the idea that anyone or any corporation says they don't have choice. You lockdown a network gaming infrastructure for your protection. And you truly believe you can can outsmart a community. IMO the "WE-ARE-SMARTER-THAN-ME" mentality comes into play here in full stride as a community torments a corporation, hence cat and mouse.

The future ahead lies a digital prison where pirates will be plenty, but still a majority of unsuspecting prisoners controlled by technological dictatorship. I for one, just want to be able to use the tools and learn. The content is meaningless.

#6 cypher21

cypher21

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:56 AM

I was reading you wanted the SPRING UPDATE.
That can be downloaded by test xblive connection.

If you want the codec update, you indeed need a silver subscription.

But you act like a schizo who is afraid of alien radiation or something? If you don't want to get banned, then don't play games with the networkcable connected, you won't take any risks. They can't read the firmware you are using, and there's no proof found of offline logging.

Edited by cypher21, 16 January 2008 - 09:58 AM.

#7 richiecaf

richiecaf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE(cypher21 @ Jan 16 2008, 10:32 AM) View Post

If you don't want to get banned, then don't play games with the networkcable connected, you won't take any risks. They can't read the firmware you are using, and there's no proof found of offline logging.

Thanks. If they really can't read your firmware then I don't have anything to worry about. What I guess wasn't clear to me was that the vast majority of bans are based off of backup detection, not f/w detection, short of a few exceptions such as 12V fan mod.

Does anybody know if the h264 codec(s) get downloaded to a Hard Drive or to On-Board memory?? I guess I'll find out soon enough.

#8 Toddler

Toddler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

I haven't played any media files on my 360, but my friend says he has to connect to Live every time he wants to watch a new file. It behaves almost as if each file is protected content, even though it obviously isn't. When he's connected to Live, the process is invisible. He only noticed it when Live was so flaky and he would try to play a DivX file and the 360 said he needed to download a codec. This only happened the first time he tried to play a new file. Once he had played it, he could play it again without connecting. But he has to be signed in to Live in order to play any new DivX files.

I don't know if that is normal or not. The only unusual thing about his situation is that his original console got the RRoD after the December update and was replaced by Circuit City, so maybe it's an issue with how Marketplace handles things that were originally downloaded to another console, the same way you have to sign in to Live to play a game you purchased on another console? If anybody can weigh in on if his experience is normal or not, I'm sure he'd appreciate knowing the answer.

#9 richiecaf

richiecaf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE(Toddler @ Jan 16 2008, 06:52 PM) View Post

I haven't played any media files on my 360, but my friend says he has to connect to Live every time he wants to watch a new file. It behaves almost as if each file is protected content, even though it obviously isn't. When he's connected to Live, the process is invisible. He only noticed it when Live was so flaky and he would try to play a DivX file and the 360 said he needed to download a codec. This only happened the first time he tried to play a new file. Once he had played it, he could play it again without connecting. But he has to be signed in to Live in order to play any new DivX files.

I don't know if that is normal or not. The only unusual thing about his situation is that his original console got the RRoD after the December update and was replaced by Circuit City, so maybe it's an issue with how Marketplace handles things that were originally downloaded to another console, the same way you have to sign in to Live to play a game you purchased on another console? If anybody can weigh in on if his experience is normal or not, I'm sure he'd appreciate knowing the answer.

Sounds grimey, and just like M$. I'll let you know, hope to have this all set up tonight.

Amazing though, isn't it? WMV can be played 1) Without a Hardrive and 2) Without going onto LIVE. How large could their h264 codec be? Why couldn't it REALLY be included in the Spring Update? And why should the 360 act differently towards avc than it would towards wmv- it's encoded video, just the same.

#10 Toddler

Toddler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

Because they want us signing into Live, that's why.

#11 richiecaf

richiecaf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:40 AM

I signed up for LIVE (decided to stick with my 5.3A xtreme fw). Gave them my phone number, my ADDRESS. Signed their agreement and surprisingly, was able to download some AAC codec to play unprotected audio (wow). Remarkably, I didn't need a Hard Drive, and it saved the update to my 360 memory card. Whoa M$, egg on my face! Of course this was all done with no disc in the dvd-rom.

Toddler, once I got that update I was home free. Doesn't complain about similar files, don't need to be on LIVE anymore.

MY 720p Superbad x264 in mp4 container from Bluray rip of MY MOVIE is playing almost perfectly. I noticed a tiny lag at certain points, scarce but noticeable. Hopefully the gigabit switch/wireless-n combo router I just bought on New Egg will help with that.

I couldn't figure out a way to keep LIVE from automatically logging in when I boot my 360, without having to get up and pull the cord (am I retarded?). I found switching to manual network with some bullshit IP solved that problem right up. When I want to stream a movie to the 360, I just switch to automatic. When I'm done I switch it back.

Next to test 1080p transcoded HD-DVD rips of Anchorman and Shrek 3. Gotta Love MeGui, x264, and Haali.

100th post! (it only took 3 1/2 years biggrin.gif )

Edited by richiecaf, 17 January 2008 - 05:47 AM.

#12 richiecaf

richiecaf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:11 AM

nellymoser

Optional Media Update.

Lets you play unprotected music (AAC format) on your console from Zune or iPod. Lets you play MPEG4 movies on your console.

Just got it again when trying to play Superbad a second time. Strange how I was able to play Anchorman and Shrek 3 without being prompted for this update. I did take my memory card out for a second though.

#13 twistednailsofv

twistednailsofv

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:29 AM

Codecs are optional, very few codecs are built-in, such as WMV... because they have to save the codec somewhere inside the 360... and cannot be independently ran w/o it

better way to explain also, is that it's tied to your account, they have to pay a license fee for every Registered Live user downloads, and then the codec is downloaded along side the system, so once you remove your memory, your taking your licensed codec with you...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users