Photo

Why Doesnt The 40 Gig Ps# Play Ps2 Games?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 forcelite

forcelite

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:16 AM

I saw some specs on Amazon about how hte 80 gig PS3 will play PS2 games but the 40 gig wont. Why doesnt it? Is is just a software issue. I know its to get you to buy the 80 but can this be upgraded later or are you just stuck? Are there any other limitations other thatn the obvious 40 less gigs?

Thanks
Force

#2 pablot

pablot

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

I think its just a marketing thing. If you buy the cheaper SKU you don't get the backwards compatibility.. Buy the expensive one to get that. AFAIK the emulation is done 100% in software on one of the SKUs (80gig?), so it should be possible on the 40gig too, they just chose not to include it.

#3 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:14 AM

I believe you're right, pablot. It would be an interesting thing to try to hack the 80GB sysinfo on it (after all, you can easily swap hard drives), then apply the 80GB ver. update, and see if it give you BC. Of course, you'd probably need an infectus (or something similar) to do it.

I remember a while back c4e said he was going to look (keyword: look) at the ps3 firmware... I wonder if this was one of the aspects he was going to look at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users