PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:58 PM

Blu-ray Hardware Sales Pick Up After Warner Announcement
Posted by XanTium | 22-1-2008 15:58 EST

From blu-ray.com:

A new NPD Group report shows that stand-alone Blu-ray player sales benefited greatly from the recent announcement that Warner would be going Blu-ray exclusive. The first week of January, before Warner made their announcement, there was a nearly 50-50 split between Blu-ray and HD DVD standalone players. The following week, after the announcement, Blu-ray players grabbed 93% of the market.

Full Story: blu-ray.com

#2 warmaster_670

warmaster_670

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

wow, a 42% gain, if HDDVD isnt just going to roll over and die, they better do something mega-ultra-huge right now or there screwed

#3 Ninja Sniper X

Ninja Sniper X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(warmaster_670 @ Jan 22 2008, 03:04 PM) View Post

wow, a 42% gain, if HDDVD isnt just going to roll over and die, they better do something mega-ultra-huge right now or there screwed

lol duno why but that made me laugh

#4 itchy

itchy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:51 AM

That's great news for that week in sales, but it doesn't take into account how HD DVD dropped their hardware price tags by $200 the following week.

In all, I hope there's a winner soon.

#5 Elemino

Elemino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE(itchy @ Jan 22 2008, 07:27 PM) View Post

That's great news for that week in sales, but it doesn't take into account how HD DVD dropped their hardware price tags by $200 the following week.
Exactly. I think their serious price drop means that if anything the players will be around for some time to come. If other salesmen are thinking like I do, it's a great upsale for customers that go into electronic stores looking for upconverting DVD players that generally run nearly $100. For $50 you get the HD DVD player which does a much better job and plays HD DVD. If anything, that will ensure that the players will be around for some time to come.

#6 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

I liked HD-DVD... I liked it better than BRD. But at this point I really want it to go away, the format war needs to end so I can start buying players and discs.

#7 FCTE

FCTE

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 23 2008, 08:24 AM) View Post

I liked HD-DVD... I liked it better than BRD. But at this point I really want it to go away, the format war needs to end so I can start buying players and discs.

Same here, although I pulled my HD DVD add on off of ebay and decided to keep it for the Bourne movies and Transformers and the other 10 HD DVDs I have. I wasn't going to get any decent bids anyway and I got it for a core system so I'm only out the cost of the movies.

Started building my Blu collection, however, there really isn't too much go to have films out on either format at this time.

#8 tummybanana

tummybanana

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:46 PM

be interesting to see how many of those bd players come back when people find out its not compliant with profile 2, i mean bd live, you know, the functionality that hd dvd has always had right from the start

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(tummybanana @ Jan 24 2008, 12:22 PM) View Post

be interesting to see how many of those bd players come back when people find out its not compliant with profile 2, i mean bd live, you know, the functionality that hd dvd has always had right from the start

NONE
1. You can't return apiece of equipment under those terms.
2. The profile 1 players will still do exactly what they do now. Play the movie from the profile 2 disc. Which is the reason people have them now.
3. Anyone that fanatical as to want the new online features will simply upgrade their players, just as many early adopters of any equipment do.

Edited by Chancer, 24 January 2008 - 03:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users