• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PilknDunn

PilknDunn

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Modding 360s, and Hanging out with friends...
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:58 AM

I want to do the 12v fan mod, but I would like to install a toggle switch so I can switch from 5v to 12v when needed..

Problem is, I have never worked with toggle switches, and dont even know where to start uhh.gif

I am confused with the whole concept (Sorry if it is really easy I just cant really grasp it i guess)

If someone could please point me in the right direction with a tutorial, maybe some pics, ANYTHING you think will help me with this...

I also would like to know what type of toggle to use or which do you recommend?

Thanks in Advance for the help...

#2 TR4G-

TR4G-

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE(PilknDunn @ Jan 23 2008, 05:34 AM) View Post

I want to do the 12v fan mod, but I would like to install a toggle switch so I can switch from 5v to 12v when needed..
Problem is, I have never worked with toggle switches, and dont even know where to start uhh.gif

I am confused with the whole concept (Sorry if it is really easy I just cant really grasp it i guess)

If someone could please point me in the right direction with a tutorial, maybe some pics, ANYTHING you think will help me with this...

I also would like to know what type of toggle to use or which do you recommend?

Thanks in Advance for the help...

get a SPDT switch [single pole, double throw] connect the ground wire from the fan, to the middle pole. Connect a wire from ur 12v ground [anywhear on the case] to one of the outside poles. And connect the normal 7v ground to the opposite pole. This way, if you push it one way, you will enable the 7v, and the other way will enable the 12v.

Here are examples of various SPDT switches. Personally i prefer rocker switches:
http://www.radioshac...p...w=SPDT&sr=1

Edited by TR4G-, 23 January 2008 - 05:44 AM.

#3 Steve-0

Steve-0

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:putting blue 3mm led's in things that doesn't already have them, cutting holes, oooh oooh and plexi.

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:20 AM

here is my 1080i super hd pic i made for you using all my graphical design skillz biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Edited by Steve-0, 23 January 2008 - 11:22 AM.

#4 jopotus

jopotus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

don't do that..

you need to put your fans positive wire to that ground wire shown in pic. ph34r.gif if you put wires like in pic you will fry your box and psu...

#5 PilknDunn

PilknDunn

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Modding 360s, and Hanging out with friends...
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

ok, so let me see if I understand this:

Connect a wire to the middle post, ground it to the metal casing
Connect the ground wire, that i would have connected under the mobo (for 12v) to 1 of the other poles
Then, cut the remaining ground wire on the fan plug and connect it to the other pole

Am I getting the idea right?

#6 nka04a

nka04a

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 28 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:31 PM

You can also put a switch between to points on a resistor.
http://forums.xbox-s...o...637955&st=0

#7 TR4G-

TR4G-

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE(jopotus @ Jan 23 2008, 05:59 PM) View Post

don't do that..

you need to put your fans positive wire to that ground wire shown in pic. ph34r.gif if you put wires like in pic you will fry your box and psu...

......no it wont......and also u need to put it on 7v, cuz i think the fan has a startupvoltage of 7v's not 5. But anyway, i have a random switch in my box to ima hook it up to that as well

#8 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,790 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:02 AM

No one has a clue in here do they? wink.gif The diagram is almost correct EXCEPT for the absolute and utter fact that the 'to ground' needs to be changed to 'to fans + wires' (like jopotus stated) that will let you run the fans at either 5v or 12v depending on where the switch is at. Wiring it up like the diagram is will only get you a nice 5v or 12v short, depending on where the switch is at and isn't going to kill the 360, but it's no good for it none the less.

The fans will startup at 5v just fine.

Here's what you need to do in order to have the fans run at 5v/12v with a switch.

IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users