9 replies to this topic

#1 Smulpaap

Smulpaap

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

This is my first post. I have a problem. For years I am using a soft modded Xbox (for XBMC). I have not modded it myself and do not know alot about modding and I don't want to. Just want to have my XBMC up asap.
Now my HDD chrash and I have put in a new one of the same size. I have downloaded the "SlaYers_EvoX_Auto-Installer_v2.7FINAL" and burned it on different types of DVD+R and DVD-R. It will not boot! The xbox shows me the startup thing, with the startup sound (don't know how you call it) and then it displays the "this system need maintanace" in alot of languages.

I have tried to read the manuals, but they won't comfort me. The bootdisk just doesn't boot...

So where do I go from here? Do I keep buying and trying other types of media (CD-RW) to boot the slayer files from? Or do I have to do something different? Is there an other reason the disk wont boot? And does an HDD ghost exist so I can just put the HDD in my pc, recover and then wouldn't need those boot dvd's and what ever.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Smulpaap, 24 January 2008 - 02:22 PM.

#2 c_a_messmer

c_a_messmer

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

The Problem is that your softmoded and the mod is on your hard drive so you can't boot the slayer disk. Do you have the eeprom of your hd? If you do you could get kingroaches ndure installer and use xboxhdm to setup the softmod on the new hd and then lock the new drive with your eeprom.

#3 Smulpaap

Smulpaap

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

Unfortunatly I could not salvage anything from my HDD and I have never backed it up. So no EEPROM... Does this mean I can never get it to work again?

#4 Smulpaap

Smulpaap

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:24 PM

[Don't mean to flame, but I can't find the edit post button in the forum :S]

This EEPROM problem can it be solved by installing a modchip in the xbox? Or will this not solve anything?

[hmm, now I can edit my last reply]

Edited by Smulpaap, 24 January 2008 - 10:27 PM.

#5 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

You can put in a new HD and use Slayer's to build a new drive.

#6 c_a_messmer

c_a_messmer

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

You can't use slayer's unless you get a modchip. To get your eeprom with out the chip you could build/buy a eeprom reader or remove the eeprom chip and put it into another xbox that is modded. After you have your eeprom you can use xboxhdm or xplorer360 to softmod a new drive and lock it with your eeprom.

#7 d34th_r3c0n

d34th_r3c0n

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:02 AM

Hey, I have been out of the modding scene for a good while now (about 2 years if memory serves), so I have forgotten a lot.

Anyway, I have a virgin V1.0 that throws up the "This system needs maintainance" message and no error number or anything. It had been making funny noises that sounded like the HDD and would freeze a good bit of the time. I assume that the HDD has died. If I have read this thread correctly, the only way to fix it would be to install a chip? Is that correct?

Thanks...
-MAZ-

#8 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE(d34th_r3c0n @ Jan 25 2008, 01:38 AM) View Post

Hey, I have been out of the modding scene for a good while now (about 2 years if memory serves), so I have forgotten a lot.

Anyway, I have a virgin V1.0 that throws up the "This system needs maintainance" message and no error number or anything. It had been making funny noises that sounded like the HDD and would freeze a good bit of the time. I assume that the HDD has died. If I have read this thread correctly, the only way to fix it would be to install a chip? Is that correct?

Thanks...
-MAZ-

A mod chip will fix it. Don't jump into another person's post with problems of your own.

#9 Smulpaap

Smulpaap

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:17 AM

Ok, lets see if I've got it straight.

1) build in an Xecuter chip
2) put in the slayer disk
3) a new eeprom file wil be put on the new harddisk
4) install dashboard etc.
5) done

Thank you for your help. Hope there are still people in the place I live who mod xboxes, because I'm affraid to do it myself.

cheers.

#10 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:39 AM

Close enough.

Your console's factory default BIOS won't let it boot unless the installed drive is locked. It's locked using a code derived from the drive's serial number and the unique code in your console's EEPROM.

Installing a modchip over rides the original BIOS, and the console will boot up regardless as to whether the drive is locked or not. You can manually lock it later if you wish (though there's no point unless you wish to use X-Box Live or disable the modchip).

The alternative solution (a bit more technical (or fun, depends how you look at it)) is to build an EEPROM reader and manually prepare the new drive with the files it needs and that special lock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users