• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mwkenna

mwkenna

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:15 AM

I have a Hitachi LG drive that is broken (not mounting games/DVD's) because the laser eye is not shooting light at all. The laser eye is fine (im sure of this) and im assuming the problem lays somewhere in the drive's logic board. I have tried a different drive on the xbox 360 and it shoots light fine (also plays DVD movies fine).

Obviously I need to read the key (and bin file) from the drive, I have followed the Maximus 360 toolbox version which requires that a media be mounted in the drive before reading the orig.bin - I cant mount any media as the drive is broken.

Please can someone suggest something I can try to read the key from the drive, maybe an alternative method which does not require mounting?

Thanks in advance
-Mark

#2 justicedreadz

justicedreadz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:08 AM

Before I tackle this question, why would you assume that the laser is fine? Just to clarify.

#3 podger

podger

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:02 PM

What version is the drive. If it's 59 or less then you don't need a disk in the drive. You can put it in Mode B with the 2 wire trick. Then use Toolbox to dump the orig.bin with the key in it....
If it's 78 or 79 you can get it into Mode B using a Slax boot CD, but you do need a disk in the drive to read it..... and with 79 you need a passkey soldered to the board to unlock the flash device..

If the 2 drives are the same brand/version, maybe you could swap the laser or even the PCB between them to get the original working temporarily...

If all else fails the flash chip can be removed from the board and read in the Programmer, but you would probably need someone to do this for you.... You would only have to send them the PCB and then they would e-mail you the Key.....

Edited by podger, 25 January 2008 - 01:06 PM.

#4 mwkenna

mwkenna

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

I assume that the laser is fine because I have a replacement Xbox360 drive here, I think its an earlier version Hitatchi, when this drive is connected to the machine the laser emitts light correctly and reads dvd movies (but not games).

I have also changed the laser eye in the "bad" drive for one that i know is working and it still does not shoot light.

With regards to removing the chip from the board, thats not a problem for me, assuming there is no other way to do it, could someone point me in the right direction of a programmer and the corresponding guide to extracting the key?

Im almost 100% sure the problem lays with the drive's logic board.

Thanks for the replies guys,
-Mark.

P.S. the drive is a 78

Edited by mwkenna, 25 January 2008 - 01:55 PM.

#5 podger

podger

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

The section for the Hitachi 79, runs through the whole thing....

http://www.360mods.n...al/Textbook.pdf

#6 mwkenna

mwkenna

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

Yeah but the drive is a 78, can the 79 guide also be used for the 78??

Cheers, Mark.

#7 podger

podger

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:01 AM

sure, the 78 an 79 are the same hardware anyhow, the 79 code is a more secure version that needs a passkey to read by software....

but you only need to dump the flash and open it toolbox to read the key....

#8 mwkenna

mwkenna

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:48 AM

Thanks for the advice podger but the problem is I am unable to mount the drive with media, so I cannot use the method in textbook's excellent tutorial!

Still stuck,
-Mark.

#9 podger

podger

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:07 AM

I thought we were talking about you removing the flash and reading externally....

Edited by podger, 27 January 2008 - 02:07 AM.

#10 flash360

flash360

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:17 AM

What podger is saying is the tut for removing the flash chip is covered in textbook's guide but its under the 79 as it's not needed for the 78 anymore but it is exactly the same. there is a vid too showing the method used but I cant remember where I saw it.

#11 mwkenna

mwkenna

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

Ah ok...

I had an older version of the guide, didnt show the 79 version

Problem solved, thanks guys.
-Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users