• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kawwa

kawwa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:09 AM

I'm sure many other topics talk about the same thing but unfortunately i tried the search and it didnt work ... says it found results but doesnt display any ...

Now say i get an xbox 360 elite that has never been connected to live ... mod it by flashing the drive with the latest firmware possible of ixtreme ... and i get on live using only the original games also making sure of not having a backup in the drive when I'm in the dashboard and connected to the network ... and backups are only played offline ... I've tried to google it but all the results I'm getting are since may 2007 ... if anyone knows whether i would be banned or not for just playing originals on live .. and stealthed backups offline ... what are the chances of a ban ??

thanx to all who reply ... and sorry again for creating a new topic ...

#2 Nissan98

Nissan98

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:44 AM

theres no guaranteed percentage.. It doesn't matter the situation soon as you connect to Live you take a chance at being banned just having a modified console.

Yeah, you can play your backups that are fully stealthed on the 360 with no ethernet connections supplied but once you get on Live, you wanna have no disc in the drive or an Original version. Your still not safe though, but you are covered a good bit as long as your backups are true and Stealthed

Id say the odds are 50/50 of recieving a ban while on Live with a modified console.. You get banned thats the end of Live for you with that psecific console, only resolution would be flashing back to original firmware and not worrying about being modified and or purchasing a new console and leaving It unmodified for Live

Edited by Nissan98, 26 January 2008 - 09:44 AM.

#3 kawwa

kawwa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:28 PM

Well IIRC ... The bans are not in waves anymore .. they ban from day to day .. is that correct ??

If so is there anyone who uses a modded xbox 360 right now on live and hasnt been banned ??

also ... is it better if i just mod it without going onto live and banning it untill they figure out a way to prevent the ban ?? ... because if i get banned i would have to buy a new xbox 360 ...

so:

1. Does live ban day to day ?
2. Are there any modders out there who havent been banned? and what percautions do they take ?
3. Is it better to wait for a 100% sure way to prevent the ban .. if it ever comes ?

#4 kawwa

kawwa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:59 PM

Couldn't figure out how to edit the post so sorry for the double post ...

Just wanted to ask ... IIRC ... live was withdrawing bans since drive lenses may give random data which used to cause a ban ... now live isn't banning consoles from information given by the disc ... is that true ?

If so the risk of a ban is the same on an original as on a backup ... is that right ?

thank you to all readers and posters ... appreciate it

#5 NoFace

NoFace

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(kawwa @ Jan 26 2008, 09:35 AM) View Post

Couldn't figure out how to edit the post so sorry for the double post ...

Just wanted to ask ... IIRC ... live was withdrawing bans since drive lenses may give random data which used to cause a ban ... now live isn't banning consoles from information given by the disc ... is that true ?

If so the risk of a ban is the same on an original as on a backup ... is that right ?

thank you to all readers and posters ... appreciate it

I think that MS discovered that drives can give back random data when the laser gets old or worn out. See, what had happened was when MS was doing one of their ban "waves" they noticed that some people were getting banned even if their console was unmodified. They then discover that some lasers can give back bad data regardless of being modded or not. Thus, they cannot ban based solely on the drive giving back weird data anymore.

#6 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

just wanted to say, that i use backups while connected to live and over live, i take no precautions except for making sure my backups are stealthed. i did that with my old ms25 xbox for a year, and been doing it with my benq 360 for 6 months. i have not had a single problem with bans so far, but i do this at my own risk and am willing to face a ban when it happens

#7 fluc02

fluc02

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(kawwa @ Jan 26 2008, 08:04 AM) View Post

Well IIRC ... The bans are not in waves anymore .. they ban from day to day .. is that correct ??

If so is there anyone who uses a modded xbox 360 right now on live and hasnt been banned ??

also ... is it better if i just mod it without going onto live and banning it untill they figure out a way to prevent the ban ?? ... because if i get banned i would have to buy a new xbox 360 ...

so:

1. Does live ban day to day ?
2. Are there any modders out there who havent been banned? and what percautions do they take ?
3. Is it better to wait for a 100% sure way to prevent the ban .. if it ever comes ?

There will never be a 100% sure way to prevent the ban. MS doesn't, for obvious reasons, publicize the methods it is using to detect backups, and you will never know what they are working on that could make the latest firmware obsolete. You could never get banned or there could be a year with no bans followed by every single person with the firmware getting banned, there is just no way to know. The best thing you can do is use iExtreme 1.4, which will only play properly stealthed backups, and only play said backups with your ethernet unplugged, but this is still no guarantee.

If you flash, you're just going to have to live with the possibility of being banned.

#8 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:44 PM

I see you have posted this in other threads as well. This suggests to me you are not really happy taking the risk. Don't chance it unless you can say "So they banned me, I don't care"
The risk is always there and nobody knows when the next bans will hit or what technique will then be employed

#9 exraid

exraid

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:14 AM

So say I flash with the iXtreme 1.4 firmware, and only play stealthed backups offline. If I decide to flash back to the original firmware and play retail games on LIVE, is it still possible to get banned?

Edited by exraid, 27 January 2008 - 07:15 AM.

#10 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:31 AM

the possiblity is still there as you may be logged while offline, no one knows

it would be too much of a hassle to re-flash it every time you want to go on live

#11 exraid

exraid

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE(scuba156 @ Jan 26 2008, 11:07 PM) View Post

the possiblity is still there as you may be logged while offline, no one knows

it would be too much of a hassle to re-flash it every time you want to go on live

So if offline is logged, it isnt any safer to play offline than online?

Edited by exraid, 27 January 2008 - 07:43 AM.

#12 kawwa

kawwa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:45 AM

Thank you guys ... i guess ill just play originals on live for now with ixtreme 1.4 ... appreciate the help ... tho i think M$ claims to want to protect live experience when all it cares about is people buying a second xbox for online gaming ... who knows .. they might even release the easier way to move the keyvault themselves just so that even more xboxes get bought for the keyvault and get banned again for being copied onto a modded one having everyone buy yet a third xbox ... they're just after the money ... I like xbox more ... but ps3 really is gr8 with ps3 network and no need to subscribe unlike live .. when i think most people buy the xbox instead since it would be cheaper to get it modded and buy pirated games which is the wrong thing to do .. but now if M$ stopped all that .. the ps3 would be the choice .. anyway .. thank you all for your help .. appreciate it ...

#13 fluc02

fluc02

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE(exraid @ Jan 27 2008, 02:19 AM) View Post

So if offline is logged, it isnt any safer to play offline than online?

No one knows. Most say no data is logged in offline, and testing seems to confirm that, but in this field there really are no absolutes. If you're looking for absolutely for sure answers on an anything related to bans, you're just not going to find them. Most play backups offline only to be safe, but again, there is no way to know if that prevents anything or not.

Ambiguity is the rule in this area, really.

Most do seem to think though that there is no detecting of the firmware itself over Live, only of bad backups, so reflashing every time is probably not going to help, and also may hurt, as drives can only accept so many flashes before being bricked.

It is always possible to get banned. Always.

#14 exraid

exraid

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE(fluc02 @ Jan 26 2008, 11:55 PM) View Post

No one knows. Most say no data is logged in offline, and testing seems to confirm that, but in this field there really are no absolutes. If you're looking for absolutely for sure answers on an anything related to bans, you're just not going to find them. Most play backups offline only to be safe, but again, there is no way to know if that prevents anything or not.

Ambiguity is the rule in this area, really.

Most do seem to think though that there is no detecting of the firmware itself over Live, only of bad backups, so reflashing every time is probably not going to help, and also may hurt, as drives can only accept so many flashes before being bricked.

It is always possible to get banned. Always.

For now, I decided not to flash my xbox 360 and just buy the games that are really good and worth the money. Once XBMC makes its way on xbox 360, then I will probably mod...but who knows if that will ever happen.

Thanks for the info. happy.gif

#15 kawwa

kawwa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

Now im thinking about buying a falcon .. modding it with the latest ixtreme firmware .. playing stealthed backups offline .. and maybe online .. i could risk it .. and originals online .. im willing to face a ban .. as long as there is a chance that i can play online without getting banned on day 1 .. id just enjoy it while i can .. mm sure hope it lasts long .. any advice ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users