Utsi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

HTA is new to me, but again, so was batch files. Looks like we did twice as much as we had to, but I had fun figuring it out anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing your solution.

I haven't actually used the output, my TMPGEnc is currently busy processing a large 1080p movie, so I'm not quite sure if the output is what we are looking for.

Installation:
To make this batch file work, you need to have MKVInfo.exe, MP4Box.exe and MKVInfo.exe in your windows path. You already have theese if you've installed MKVExtractGUI and YAMB. The quickest (and dirtiest) way to achieve this, is to copy them into your system folder (in XP that is C:/WINDOWS/System32/).

Usage:
Copy/Paste the script into a txt file and save it as "ExtractMKVVideoAndConvertToMOV.bat". Place it where you'd like on your hard drive and double-click it. It will process all MKV's in current directory and all sub-folders. Make sure that you have enough free space on your hdd before executing the script.

Known limitations:
It will not work on MKV's with more than 1 video track, in that case it will only process the last one.

Bear in mind that this is my first batch script ever, so I'm sure that it could be optimized. Please give feedback.

CODE

@ECHO OFF
@REM ExtractMKVVideoAndConvertToMOV.bat
@REM Processes all MKV's in current folder and its subfolders. Does not process the same file twice.

@REM if you don't want the job to include subfolders, remove the "/s" from the below satement.
FOR /F "delims=" %%C in ('DIR /b /s *.mkv') DO CALL :Process %%C
ECHO Finished!
GOTO :END

:Process
@REM CHECK IF FILE HAS BEEN PROCESSED AND IF SO, SKIP IT
IF EXIST %1.mov GOTO :END

@REM make a txt file with the info on the MKV
MKVINFO %1 >>MKVInfo.txt

@REM Get the trackId of the video file and save it to a file
FOR /F "tokens=2 delims=:" %%A IN ('TYPE MKVInfo.txt ^| FINDSTR /C:"Track type" /C:"Track number"') DO CALL :FindVideoId %%A

@REM Check if the trackId file was created, if not, skip
IF NOT EXIST videoTrackId.txt GOTO :END

@REM get the videoTrackId from the file and assign it to a variable
FOR /F %%B in (videoTrackId.txt) DO SET trackId=%%B

@REM Extract the video from the mkv
MKVExtract tracks %1 %trackId%:%1.h264

@REM Convert the .h264 to MP4 and give it .mov extention
MP4BOX -add %1.h264 %1.mov -fps 23.976

@REM remove temporary files
DEL MKVInfo.txt
DEL videoTrackId.txt
DEL %1.h264
GOTO :END

:FindVideoId
@REM if the value of the input equals "video" the previous input was the trackId of the video. Hence the previous input should be saved to file.
IF %1== video type cache.txt >> videoTrackId.txt
DEL cache.txt
ECHO %1 >> cache.txt
:END

#212 anandr

anandr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE(chrislynch @ Mar 4 2008, 02:50 AM) View Post

Well, I would suggest following the steps outlined in Appendix A to show you how I installed ffdshow. ffdshow should give you AAC support that you need.

thanks for the reply chris. your guide has clearly made a lot of people's lives easier, so i think you deserve a massive pat on the back.

#213 anandr

anandr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:34 AM

well i tried ffdshow, and still having mixed results.

i can play the MKV fine in WMP, VLC etc. but when i import to TMPGEnc, the sound is listed as '2ch', and when i preview the clip, a high pitched buzzing sound emits instead of the actual sound.

any thoughts?

#214 zLensman

zLensman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(anandr @ Mar 3 2008, 07:10 PM) View Post

well i tried ffdshow, and still having mixed results.

i can play the MKV fine in WMP, VLC etc. but when i import to TMPGEnc, the sound is listed as '2ch', and when i preview the clip, a high pitched buzzing sound emits instead of the actual sound.

any thoughts?

I've seen this before. For starters, what did TMPGenc use to read the audio? Check the Clip Properties on the Clip Edit window (image 15 in the tutorial), in the Audio box, source format. The last line will tell you which reader is being used and it should say "DirectShow file reader" just like you see in the tutorial. Also, by default ffdshow-tryouts should have a system tray icon that says "FFA" where the "A" is a subscript. You should see these mixed in with the Haali Media Splitter icons.

Next, click on the "Cut-edit" tab to see the editing window (image 16). If you have the audio waveform display turned off, turn it back on as shown in image 17, circle 1. Look at the waveform display, while scrolling through the clip. It should look like a typical audio wave, but I suspect that you may see a flat line, interspersed with "blocks" of data. This is clipping, which is what I'm guessing is causing your buzzing sound.

Finally, click OK on the Clip Edit window to return to the Source window with the clip list (image 18). Find your clip and the last line will show the audio info. This may be where you saw "2 ch", but what we want to know is the sample format. The example in image 18 shows "32 bits (Float)". What does yours say?

I think your problem may be with settings in ffdshow audio config that mess up the sample format, resulting in all that clipping. Tell us what you see following the path above and we can figure out where to go next.

#215 robert74

robert74

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(robert74 @ Mar 3 2008, 05:01 PM) View Post

Thanks for your response as there are some us who are still new at this and now I understand the process in a more clearer way. I appreciate your help!
Whats your Tmpegenc xpress version? Have you installed windows media encoder 9? Check these 2 and write us back.

My glitch problems still persist. After testing every single setting and doing 2 clean installs there is only one thing which is not normal. For some reason, all my source clips appear as 23.975 fps on the source in tmpgenc xpress and I was watching closely on Chris tutorial it should be 23.976.Is this what causing all the problems? Why Tmgenc xpress detects all my sources at 23.975? Is there a solution for this or is completely normal and shouldnt affect at all?

thanks!

#216 chrislynch

chrislynch

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE(robert74 @ Mar 4 2008, 06:41 AM) View Post

My glitch problems still persist. After testing every single setting and doing 2 clean installs there is only one thing which is not normal. For some reason, all my source clips appear as 23.975 fps on the source in tmpgenc xpress and I was watching closely on Chris tutorial it should be 23.976.Is this what causing all the problems? Why Tmgenc xpress detects all my sources at 23.975? Is there a solution for this or is completely normal and shouldnt affect at all?

thanks!

If TMPGEnc does detect the FPS as 23.975, then change it to 23.976. I have seen this happen only once before. When you using YAMB, you are setting the FPS to 23.976, correct?

@Utsi:

That script is pretty much perfect. I typically do not recommend putting non-system tools in the Windows directory, or sub-directories.

My HTA application doesn't do much in the way of detecting video tracks. It just simply assumes Video Track 1 is the only one you want. I haven't seen too many MKV's with multiple video tracks. Audio is another story, but we are not extracting audio in this tutorial.

#217 robert74

robert74

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(chrislynch @ Mar 4 2008, 06:00 PM) View Post

If TMPGEnc does detect the FPS as 23.975, then change it to 23.976. I have seen this happen only once before. When you using YAMB, you are setting the FPS to 23.976, correct?

Chris: I will try using ffdshow instead of coreavc and see what happens.
I tried downloading the ffdshow fix reg file from the Acrobat document and couldnt access the mirror download. Is there another way to acces this registry file to fix glitches using ffdshow?

thanks

@Utsi:

That script is pretty much perfect. I typically do not recommend putting non-system tools in the Windows directory, or sub-directories.

My HTA application doesn't do much in the way of detecting video tracks. It just simply assumes Video Track 1 is the only one you want. I haven't seen too many MKV's with multiple video tracks. Audio is another story, but we are not extracting audio in this tutorial.

#218 Utsi

Utsi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(chrislynch @ Mar 4 2008, 06:00 PM) View Post

@Utsi:

Thanks, it took me quite a while to get it right. I agree about the Windows directory, I was just being lazy again tongue.gif

I inspected a couple of MKV's and to my surprise I found the first track wasn't always the video track. This part caused me a major headache until I finally figured out string processing after googling forever.

Anyway, I also made a script that recursively scans for *.rar files and extracts the content into the existing folder structure. This script also deletes the .rar files and .r01, r02 etc files after extraction. Pretty sweet when you've got lots of unextracted goodies on your hdd. PM me if you're interested, I won't post it here because it can mess up archives if not used right.

#219 anandr

anandr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE(zLensman @ Mar 4 2008, 11:29 PM) View Post

I've seen this before. For starters, what did TMPGenc use to read the audio? Check the Clip Properties on the Clip Edit window (image 15 in the tutorial), in the Audio box, source format. The last line will tell you which reader is being used and it should say "DirectShow file reader" just like you see in the tutorial. Also, by default ffdshow-tryouts should have a system tray icon that says "FFA" where the "A" is a subscript. You should see these mixed in with the Haali Media Splitter icons.

Next, click on the "Cut-edit" tab to see the editing window (image 16). If you have the audio waveform display turned off, turn it back on as shown in image 17, circle 1. Look at the waveform display, while scrolling through the clip. It should look like a typical audio wave, but I suspect that you may see a flat line, interspersed with "blocks" of data. This is clipping, which is what I'm guessing is causing your buzzing sound.

Finally, click OK on the Clip Edit window to return to the Source window with the clip list (image 18). Find your clip and the last line will show the audio info. This may be where you saw "2 ch", but what we want to know is the sample format. The example in image 18 shows "32 bits (Float)". What does yours say?

I think your problem may be with settings in ffdshow audio config that mess up the sample format, resulting in all that clipping. Tell us what you see following the path above and we can figure out where to go next.

thanks for that - turns out i managed to change that setting by myself, when flicking through the ffdshow settings. and it indeed fixed the problem.

for future reference, for anyone using AAC audio:
1) make sure that in the ffdshow settings, 32bit has a tick next to it (under 'output').
2) set ffdshow to 5.1 to get the full 6 channel sound

also, chris, i think you should let people know that when you apply that registry patch for ffdshow, it mucks up all your previous ffdshow settings.

#220 johnnynuge

johnnynuge

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

I would like to share what has been FOR ME the best way to re-encode MKV into WVC1. It combines aspects of impimpin206 and chrislynch's tutorial here at xbox-scene, uanime's tutorial and Jaswah's (special thanks) instructions over at HDBits. Keep in mind, I only re-encode the MKVs that won't stream via Transcode360. You should avoid doing it at all whenever possible.

- Install and configure TMPGEnc 4.0 Express, Haali Media Splitter, CoreAVC, AC3Filter, MediaInfo, MKVtoolnix, and FFDShow EXACTLY how chrislynch suggests.

- Install Avisynth to load the video into TMPGEnc. That annoying stutter is unavoidable when loading the MKV directly, and messing with the framerate doesn't work and I would personally avoid it.

Create the following avs script in notepad and save it as .avs:

Directshowsource("Filename.mkv", fps=23.976, audio=false)

Anyone using Vista64 like me or getting an error when loading the avs file needs to download and install the YUV codecs found here: http://www.free-code..._YUV_Codecs.htm.

- Load the audio file DIRECTLY into TMPGEnc. Loading the audio directly is the only reliable way to do it... and it's hassle-free. This way there is no need to demux the AC3 or convert DTS to AC3.

- If you want subtitles, extract them using chrislynch's tutorial. I prefer to use MKVEWizard instead of MKVExtractGUI. TMPGEnc cannot handle .ass (ha ha) files, so use Subtitle Workshop to convert them to .srt. Open the .ass file and match the movie's framerate, then Save As a SubRip by doubleclicking it and import the new .srt into TMPGEnc.

- If you want the highest possible visual quality, you'll want to use the WMV9 PowerToy by Alex Zambelli. It configures the advanced properties of the WMV9 encoder through registry settings. It is the preferred way to encode over at HDBits. You can find more info and settings here: http://forum.doom9.o...ad.php?t=123812. I use the avg pc settings suggested by sportcenter:

Lookahead = 16
Loopfilter = On
Motion Search Level = Auto w/ Integer Chroma
Motion Search Range = Auto
Motion Vector Cost = Dynamic
B-frames = 1

Don't even think about the INSANE settings. Stick with the settings above or the better preset. Adjust the Powertoy settings before you launch TMPGEnc.

- Using the settings above, I encode using 1 pass CBR and have gotten great results. I have also used 2 pass CBR and not really noticed any difference. 2 pass CBR will theoretically produce better quality, but will take longer. I only got dropped frames once using CBR on a really complex scene from episode 1 of Planet Earth, when thousands of birds were flying around. I'm not going to get into the CBR v VBR debate, so test them both, do some research and use whatever you want.

- On the Other tab is a +speed/+picture quality performance slider. Take advantage of this setting by moving the slider all the way to the left. If the imperceivable drop in picture quality is not worth the cutting the encode time, then put it back to where it was.

Thanks again to chrislynch for putting together the most detailed and noob friendly guide on the net. It was a great help that inspired me to research (doom9 forums), experiment and come up with a modified solution.

#221 xtrahuge

xtrahuge

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE(placebo3681 @ Feb 21 2008, 02:02 PM) View Post

I'm having a slight issue with MP4Box. I've done 3 h.264 into MP4 container conversions using MP4Box. After it completes, I get the Windows error saying that the program has caused problems and needs to be closed, do I wish to send an error report, yada yada. Yamb says that the file converted successfully. Basically I'm wondering if I should be concerned with this. I'm going to reinstall Yamb and MP4Box tonight as I haven't had a chance yet, but wanted to check in and see if anyone else had this problem. I haven't watched any of the 3 completed conversions to WMV yet (I will tonight) so hopefully there isn't any issue.

The same happens to me every time. BTW- my aspect ratio looks off once YAMB converts to MOV. Is this somthing I am doing wrong?

HUGE

#222 chrislynch

chrislynch

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE(anandr @ Mar 4 2008, 11:08 PM) View Post

thanks for that - turns out i managed to change that setting by myself, when flicking through the ffdshow settings. and it indeed fixed the problem.

1) make sure that in the ffdshow settings, 32bit has a tick next to it (under 'output').

also, chris, i think you should let people know that when you apply that registry patch for ffdshow, it mucks up all your previous ffdshow settings.

I would figure this is a given. It is simply a reg dump from impimpin's system. I'll add a warning to the doc.

QUOTE(johnnynuge @ Mar 4 2008, 11:30 PM) View Post

I would like to share what has been FOR ME the best way to re-encode MKV into WVC1. It combines aspects of impimpin206 and chrislynch's tutorial here at xbox-scene, uanime's tutorial and Jaswah's (special thanks) instructions over at HDBits. Keep in mind, I only re-encode the MKVs that won't stream via Transcode360. You should avoid doing it at all whenever possible.

- Install and configure TMPGEnc 4.0 Express, Haali Media Splitter, CoreAVC, AC3Filter, MediaInfo, MKVtoolnix, and FFDShow EXACTLY how chrislynch suggests.

- Install Avisynth to load the video into TMPGEnc. That annoying stutter is unavoidable when loading the MKV directly, and messing with the framerate doesn't work and I would personally avoid it.

Anyone using Vista64 like me or getting an error when loading the avs file needs to download and install the YUV codecs found here: http://www.free-code..._YUV_Codecs.htm.

- Load the audio file DIRECTLY into TMPGEnc. Loading the audio directly is the only reliable way to do it... and it's hassle-free. This way there is no need to demux the AC3 or convert DTS to AC3.

- If you want subtitles, extract them using chrislynch's tutorial. I prefer to use MKVEWizard instead of MKVExtractGUI. TMPGEnc cannot handle .ass (ha ha) files, so use Subtitle Workshop to convert them to .srt. Open the .ass file and match the movie's framerate, then Save As a SubRip by doubleclicking it and import the new .srt into TMPGEnc.

- If you want the highest possible visual quality, you'll want to use the WMV9 PowerToy by Alex Zambelli. It configures the advanced properties of the WMV9 encoder through registry settings. It is the preferred way to encode over at HDBits. You can find more info and settings here: http://forum.doom9.o...ad.php?t=123812. I use the avg pc settings suggested by sportcenter:

Lookahead = 16
Loopfilter = On
B-frames = 1

Don't even think about the INSANE settings. Stick with the settings above or the better preset. Adjust the Powertoy settings before you launch TMPGEnc.

- Using the settings above, I encode using 1 pass CBR and have gotten great results. I have also used 2 pass CBR and not really noticed any difference. 2 pass CBR will theoretically produce better quality, but will take longer. I only got dropped frames once using CBR on a really complex scene from episode 1 of Planet Earth, when thousands of birds were flying around. I'm not going to get into the CBR v VBR debate, so test them both, do some research and use whatever you want.

- On the Other tab is a +speed/+picture quality performance slider. Take advantage of this setting by moving the slider all the way to the left. If the imperceivable drop in picture quality is not worth the cutting the encode time, then put it back to where it was.

Thanks again to chrislynch for putting together the most detailed and noob friendly guide on the net. It was a great help that inspired me to research (doom9 forums), experiment and come up with a modified solution.

This definately will work. I was just trying to avoid using too many programs and ways not everyone would know how to use. I just get sick of the posts "How do I create this AVS file?"

I just may add the PowerToy by Alex Zambelli in an appendix for those that want to tweak the WMV9 encoder settings on their system.

#223 zLensman

zLensman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(anandr @ Mar 5 2008, 01:08 AM) View Post

You're welcome. I thought you might figure it out on your own. It's hard to give advice without insulting someone's intelligence.

When I had problems with ffdshow audio, I looked through the config settings and found on the "Output" tab that only 16 bit int was selected under "Supported output sample formats". I checked all the formats 16, 24, and 32 bit int and 32 bit float.

On the Mixer tab, I have the "Output speakers configuration" set to "Same as input". That way, the output file has the same number of channels as the input. 2 ch in, 2 ch out. 5.1 in 5.1 out. That makes sense to me. Even though I don't have 7.1 speakers now, if I were converting a 7.1 file I would want all of those channels available in the output file because someday I will have 7.1.

#224 Utsi

Utsi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE(johnnynuge @ Mar 5 2008, 08:30 AM) View Post

I would like to share what has been FOR ME the best way to re-encode MKV into WVC1. It combines aspects of impimpin206 and chrislynch's tutorial here at xbox-scene, uanime's tutorial and Jaswah's (special thanks) instructions over at HDBits.

Thanks for sharing this with us, I will check it out. Why do you feel that it's the best way, is it because it is more convenient or does it produce better results?

The avs-files can easily be generated with a batch script.

#225 robert74

robert74

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(johnnynuge @ Mar 5 2008, 08:30 AM) View Post

Lookahead = 16
Loopfilter = On
B-frames = 1

Johnynuge: Great alternative. Just one question. Why not include the audio in the script by just leaving audio=false out Directshowsource("Filename.mkv", fps=23.976) and avisynth bringing the audio automatically to tmpgenc. Is this giving you problems?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users