• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:52 AM

Epic's Mark Rein about UT3 User Mods on Xbox360
Posted by XanTium | January 30 20:52 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From guardian.co.uk:

* Are you any closer to resolving the problem of getting user-gen content into the Xbox 360 version?
* Not yet but we're hopeful. Microsoft hasn't said "no" yet, but then they haven't said "yes" either. We need them to say "yes," and we need them to do it soon.

* So it's technically possible?
* Sure. I mean, you can go onto the console and copy your songs on to it and play movies off a memory card - the machine's capable of allowing you to transfer your content around, and even letting you play your music while playing many games.

* So why wouldn't Microsoft say yes? Is there a fear of losing control of Xbox Live?
* Well, yeah and we don't fault them for that. They've got a closed system where everything's checked, users know the quality of everything they download, and you know it won't crash your machine. User generated content - well, it can be dangerous, you could theoretically download a mod that uses too much memory and crashes your machine.

I think Sony are real pioneers in this - I think they deserve a lot of credit for letting us do this. They're really doing something different, and it hints at what they want to do with the PlayStation Network in the future. They're definitely on the right track!

If it doesn't work out with Xbox 360, depending on sales of the game on that platform, I imagine we'll find a few of the best mods and get them on Xbox Live Marketplace. I don't think 360 users are going to suffer drastically - they're just going to miss out on a lot of crazy, cool fun stuff and the ability to exchange it among themselves. They may also end up paying for content that is free on other systems because Microsoft now has to host it and certify it. But I'm confident Microsoft will look at what's happened with UT3 on the PS3 so far and think, 'Well, we'll take that baby step with you,' because what we've done so far really is just a baby step if you think about it. You've got to go online, you gotta download the mod, and you're responsible for putting it on your machine yourself. There are some exceptions - there are mutators, which modify how gameplay works, that are pretty small - and we let those auto download, but most of the other stuff you've got to go and say 'I'm going to install this on my machine.' We hope to change that in the future.

So it really is the user knowing what he's doing. He's not accidentally going to a server which has this really horrific mod on it... and if you do find a horrific mod we have a way to make sure that people can't serve that mod for other users. I think we're going to do much more with the PS3 version - maybe have an easier way to download mods, a way to auto download some that have been approved, ideas like that. We're looking at ways of taking the mod scene and making it better and broader.

The game is up and running on Xbox 360 - it has been for a long time, and its running wonderfully - it just doesn't have any Xbox Live written into it yet so that's the work that remains.

Full Story: guardian.co.uk

#2 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:39 AM

what abought signed iso installers. like they do with the update disk. they could make them for the best mods and the ut3 website could host it for free.

#3 Tony42077

Tony42077

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:55 AM

you can go onto the console and copy your songs on to it and play movies off a memory card - the machine's capable of allowing you to transfer your content around, and even letting you play your music while playing many games

Yeah, I guess so... they won't even allow you to rip songs to a memory card. Why? It beats me. They're so afraid of opening up a pandoras box, that they'll never allow user content onto the Live servers. AFAIK there wasn't a problam w/ the user created content from FarCry, they're just commies. The farther they push back the 360 release, the less relevant it becomes.

#4 readmore

readmore

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:56 AM

They could just publish "best of.." mods and release free on LIVE. There are lots of free mods and a lot of mods you have to pay for on LIVE. This leads me to believe MS doesn't dictate what's a chargable mod and a non-chargable mod. For Epic to say "They may also end up paying for content that is free on other systems because Microsoft now has to host it and certify it." sounds like EPIC will want to charge for it and is trying to pas the buck, so to speak, on MS.

If EPIC says "These mods are free, release them." then I can't see MS saying "no can do"

/could be wrong
//not an Unreal fan anyway
///Call of Duty anyone?

#5 wassco

wassco

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:03 AM

Ah well, if it comes to 360, AWESOME, if not, ah well, my 360 dvd drive FINALLY bit the bullet, so no more 360 for me (damn rockband killed it heheheh)

and plus, in all honesty, im a firm believer that no >> Console << will ever outperform a computer (well an up to date one) and ut3 will blow away ps3/360 n e ways tongue.gif

#6 PerfectGun

PerfectGun

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:42 AM

Mark, don't bother.. The opportunity for this game to be a success has passed. I hope releasing it on the PS3 and PC was enough, because I can say the 360 community isn't going to bail it out of it's poor sales.

This also reflects bad on MS. They were the ones touting user content(Velocity Girl anyone?) and they've managed to completely drop the ball on that. While Sony has started to pick it up and run with it. MS need to seriously re-evaluate their strategy. If Sony open their system more and more to share content(Little Big Planet), full games with no space limitations, no draconian DRM, dedicated servers and then don't charge a fee for PSN or this service then I can't see why anyone in their right mind would choose XBL over PSN. You would actually be paying for a lesser service. As the months pass by I am having a tough time defending XBL as the premier game service.

It makes me feel like MS are more like politicians who will say anything to get elected. MS is about the quick buck and will say anything to get it. Then as things truely come to light, they have some poor excuse about how they are protecting their customers and then will turn around and release a new Xbox720.

It seems their focus is on how many more services/items they can place on XBL to charge customers for and less about enhancing the service and gaming experience all around. If they can't make a buck off it then don't bother..

/end rant

#7 Jagosix

Jagosix

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE(PerfectGun @ Jan 31 2008, 04:18 AM) View Post

Mark, don't bother.. The opportunity for this game to be a success has passed. I hope releasing it on the PS3 and PC was enough, because I can say the 360 community isn't going to bail it out of it's poor sales.

I Agree with you there. UT3 will make sales, but nothing close to what COD4 & HALO3 have done.

This also reflects bad on MS. They were the ones touting user content(Velocity Girl anyone?) and they've managed to completely drop the ball on that. While Sony has started to pick it up and run with it. MS need to seriously re-evaluate their strategy. If Sony open their system more and more to share content(Little Big Planet), full games with no space limitations, no draconian DRM, dedicated servers and then don't charge a fee for PSN or this service then I can't see why anyone in their right mind would choose XBL over PSN. You would actually be paying for a lesser service. As the months pass by I am having a tough time defending XBL as the premier game service.

Well. let's see. XBLive Market place has tons of Movies, Tv Series, & Anime. Also the networks that are already a part of Xblive is great. You have; WB, ABC/Disney (very Huge library), Spike tv, CBS, NBC..etc.. Does Sony PSN have that amount of content that even comes close? Uhmnn..No. Do you think Sony PSN will let you have access to a library that huge for free, just to watch @ your leasure ? Think about it. Hundreds of thousands of movies, TV series, Anime.. All in at least 2 video formats SD & HD. The storage space alone to accommodate that would require hundreds of servers (be it PCs or PS3s). The cost alone for the maintenance would kill any money they make off the PS3 if it all were free.

XBLA - I'm glad to see M$ doing something different than just releasing the VC like Nintendo is doing. They add liitle extras like, online (co-op or competition), HD upgraded graphics.

It makes me feel like MS are more like politicians who will say anything to get elected. MS is about the quick buck and will say anything to get it. Then as things truely come to light, they have some poor excuse about how they are protecting their customers and then will turn around and release a new Xbox720.

Really..and to think Sony said something about the PS3 ..like multiple Ethernet ports, Dual HD video out, 4D Grafx, etc.. Better than X360? I think not. We all know now what Sony is all about.....Themselves.. (they're Full of it). and right now they're starting to eat humble pie.
So you don't think any corporation (be it M$, Sony, Nintendo, GMC, Ford, etc..) isn't about a quick buck? Please .. it's cut throat country in the business world.
Protecting customers .....maybe .. to a degree... covering their butts..always. Let explain. If Sony's going to " open their system more and more to share content", does that mean That I can, (Devils advocate) share video & audio that's very explicit & demeaning to people of all races and ages that are on the PSN? Not good @ all. Remember this country will sue for anything. Let Sony be too open & it's open season for lawsuits.

It seems their focus is on how many more services/items they can place on XBL to charge customers for and less about enhancing the service and gaming experience all around. If they can't make a buck off it then don't bother../end rant

Maybe they know something about that area that you & I don't. You don't have to buy anything from marketplace. It's a user choice. If you have some ideas on how M$ can make XBLive a better gaming service, they have a web site. xbox.com. You can log into the forums & post directly to the XBlive section. They're always taking ideas from us as to improve it. It's not instant overnight change, but they do listen. SO give it a try. biggrin.gif

#8 DeMoN_DARREN

DeMoN_DARREN

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

I got this game on the PC, so Xbox and PS3 can both fuck off tongue.gif

But serious, fucking hell Microsoft; hows your image look now?! PS3 is "cool" enough to let it have custom content, but Microsoft is too uptight to let Xbox have it. Nice one

#9 fiya

fiya

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

Well. let's see. XBLive Market place has tons of Movies, Tv Series, & Anime. Also the networks that are already a part of Xblive is great. You have; WB, ABC/Disney (very Huge library), Spike tv, CBS, NBC..etc.. Does Sony PSN have that amount of content that even comes close? Uhmnn..No. Do you think Sony PSN will let you have access to a library that huge for free, just to watch @ your leasure ? Think about it. Hundreds of thousands of movies, TV series, Anime.. All in at least 2 video formats SD & HD. The storage space alone to accommodate that would require hundreds of servers (be it PCs or PS3s). The cost alone for the maintenance would kill any money they make off the PS3 if it all were free.

If the current reports about waht sony might be doing with their video service is true, then it would be way better than what MS has right now. From what I hear they seem to be going in the direction of a subscrition based service for Movies and such. So you pay a fixed cost per month and u can watch whatever you want for that month. Sounds like a better deal to me.

#10 vanxman

vanxman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

From the article:
* So why wouldn't Microsoft say yes? Is there a fear of losing control of Xbox Live?
* Well, yeah and we don't fault them for that. They've got a closed system where everything's checked, users know the quality of everything they download, and you know it won't crash your machine. User generated content - well, it can be dangerous, you could theoretically download a mod that uses too much memory and crashes your machine.

The phrase "and you know it won't crash your machine" is so funny. MS doesn't want any competition. They can make your machine crash nicely all by themselves... HE HE HE

#11 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

Another reason why I have both platforms, Ill probably get this on the PS3 since they allow keyboard and mouse on the PS3 version as well.

#12 Base8

Base8

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

Damn, i hope the decide to allow user created content.. i wonder if they are worried about homebrew or something.

#13 rooter75

rooter75

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:31 AM

some worry about console security might be involved but I think it is more about keeping the live service secure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users