25 replies to this topic

#1 BossOfTheGame

BossOfTheGame

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:42 AM

Ok, I have some troubles. It seems that all my games and emulators are not in the F:\Games folder anymore. However, it still shows hard drive usage as if I had them all loaded still. My assumption is that they are still in memory somewhere, but I lost all pointers to them. The things I did circa the time this happened was delete the contents of the E:\cache folder, but not the folder itself, and I loaded about 8 extra gigs of videos and I rearanged my music folder (deleted some, and added some) into my F:\videos folder and F:\Music folder. It is a 250GB harddrive and I now have 12GB left, and it is definatly not taken up by my movies and music alone. I think my games are still in there somewhere. Is there anyway I can fix this or has this been scene before?

Also another thing I just thought of was my XboxMediaCenter Dashboard's skin changed from the 360 skin to the default without me telling it to. This was before my cache was cleared. I cleared it because I thought it might help that problem.

#2 ScrewinGates

ScrewinGates

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:21 PM

fatx file limitations maybe?try re-pointing all your sources and see where it gets you

#3 BossOfTheGame

BossOfTheGame

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

how would I go about doing that?

#4 ScrewinGates

ScrewinGates

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:04 PM

add source with white button and direct it to the folder with your games,emus,etc.

#5 BossOfTheGame

BossOfTheGame

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

I don't see a option to add source. Your talking about in the file explorer under UnleashX?

#6 ScrewinGates

ScrewinGates

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:56 AM

no i thought u said xbmc as dash

#7 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:53 AM

Are you sure it's a 250gb drive?

Yeah, I know it's kinda hard to confuse - But there's a common issue where if you try to load more then 256gb onto a partition without first formatting it in a certain way, data starts getting deleted (often in great amounts). Your free space display won't go up; the data just goes AWOL.

#8 BossOfTheGame

BossOfTheGame

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:19 AM

I'm pretty sure its 250, I had a 500, but it crashed.

EDIT: I did do this some time ago. I could have it confused and the 250 broke and I have a 500. If that is true what would happen if I deleted the stuff that made me go over 256? I can go to XBMC too I thought you were talking about unleash

ANOTHER EDIT: I decided to try and delete the cache one more time and it said it couldn't execute the Delete command. If that helps diagnosis.

Edited by BossOfTheGame, 05 February 2008 - 08:29 AM.

#9 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:13 AM

I believe most dashboards have system pages that tell you how large the installed HDD is (amongst other things), though you you could always take the lid off and take a look for yourself.

I'm afraid deleting stuff won't help if I'm right - The issue is due to the amount of clusters the file system can handle. If it attempts to write to one outside it's limit, it instead starts writing at the start of the drive (destroying parts of the file table as it goes). There's no known way to reverse this.

In the meantime, try not to do anything that would cause the system to write more data to disk. That'll only make matters worse; really you want to backup everything you can as soon as possible whatever the problem is.

#10 CandieCorpse

CandieCorpse

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:31 AM

well to me it sounds like you updated the bios on your chip/or tsop without having the harddrive locked.
this will couse the data to show that its used but not be able to find anything. lock the harddrive then reformat it sorry only way to fix it. ( if thats what you did)

#11 BossOfTheGame

BossOfTheGame

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:46 AM

The odd thing is that I can find my videos and music. Would that still be able to happened if my HD was locked?

#12 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:28 AM

No, Candie's comment doesn't apply to you.

You need to work out how large your drive is. If it's over the 256gb mark, then you need to reformat the suspect partition with XBPartitioner (making sure it uses 32kb clusters).

If it's under the 256gb mark (which'd surprise me given the nature of the problem), then I'd advise removing the drive from the X-Box entirely, have a PC wipe the entire thing, and then do a full surface scan over it before re-installing it back into your console.

#13 BossOfTheGame

BossOfTheGame

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

In XBMC it says I have 352MB left in my c drive, which is odd because my F drive is the one that should have most of the space. I'm beginning to suspect that my drive is indeed more than 250. I don't understand how this all works. Is the C drive everything combined?

#14 BossOfTheGame

BossOfTheGame

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:46 AM

Never mind my last post. I was really tiered and didn't realize that it was megabytes not gigabytes. Anyway, I opened my Hard drive and I found out it was a 300GB drive. Can I repartition it so I can have my space back without actually deleting the OS. I really don't know how to mod an xbox, I had someone do it for me. I'm fairly compitent, but I'd rather just wipe the drives and start putting new things on it.

#15 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

Only one partition needs to be formatted here (F:), and most consoles don't boot from there... So the process shouldn't involve touching your dashboard.

If you're softmodded, to be on the safe side you should backup your EEPROM (if you haven't already done so). Install ConfigMagic to E: and have that extract it to the root of that partition. You then need to FTP it across to your PC.

Once you've got the remains of F: backed up, install XBPartitioner to E: and use that to reformat the faulty partition. Make sure 32kb clusters are selected when you tell it to do the format (the Y button toggles, if memory serves).

When that's done you should be good to go from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users