1 reply to this topic

#1 cy80rg101

cy80rg101

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hi Guys,

I've just bought a 250gig HD for my Xbox - understand the whole fitting and installation process.

I guess the first question would be - do I have to lock the HD? I'm never going to go on Xbox live, though it does still show the original Xbox startup animation before it boots into EvoX / XBMC. I believe this is still the original MS Kernal - does it need the HD locked?

I read on the wiki that for drives larger than 137gb, you need a later version of the bios.

I believe (let's assume it is for the moment! ) that my xbox is actually soft-modded rather than chipped, is it possible to update the BIOS with a soft-modded box?

Second question:

a) Can someone tell me where to find the bios file?
cool.gif Can someone tell me *how* to find the bios file - how do I know which version I need, what "names" are these things known by etc?
c) Can someone tell me how to do it?

and finally

d) How do I tell if the Xbox is softmodded or actually chipped - I recall the XBMC settings didnt report on any chipping version etc - or something simmilar that makes me think it's not actually chipped! (I'm at work now, rather than just thick ).

Apologies for all the questions, but although I'm quite comfortable with XBMC etc, I have absolutely no idea about bios's on these things!

Thanks in advance

#2 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

You can open the Xbox and look under the DVD drive. That is where the mod chip goes. Of course it could be TSOP flashed.

Look in the C and E drives. Most likely if you have an E:\Dashboard folder you are soft modded.

You can use CASH Ver 1.1 to upgrade to Krazie's Ndure 1.1.1. Choose the .67 option if you are looking to put in a larger HD. That is the only way to upgrade the BIOS on a softmod.

Any HD used for a softmod has to be locked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users