4 replies to this topic

#1 jim6656

jim6656

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

Is it possible that microsoft is storing all the data from the eeprom and hd serial marriage directly on your own xbox and not on a microsoft server? Just thinking out loud here but the marriage theory started with a live update requiring you to download it. Is it just a coincidence that the update happened at the same time? Unless they needed to create means to actually read the eeprom ect. It just seems like it would be simpler and cheaper to store a file with the information on your xbox rather than to host a server with all the data from every single xbox that uses live.

If I were to test this, (my xbox stock drive which I have already used live has failed and I need to replace it) would only the xbox get banned or would I need to also get a new gamertag? I have another unmodded xbox I also use for live.

#2 XxDUNITxX

XxDUNITxX

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(jim6656 @ Feb 3 2008, 07:46 PM) View Post

Is it possible that microsoft is storing all the data from the eeprom and hd serial marriage directly on your own xbox and not on a microsoft server? Just thinking out loud here but the marriage theory started with a live update requiring you to download it. Is it just a coincidence that the update happened at the same time? Unless they needed to create means to actually read the eeprom ect. It just seems like it would be simpler and cheaper to store a file with the information on your xbox rather than to host a server with all the data from every single xbox that uses live.

If I were to test this, (my xbox stock drive which I have already used live has failed and I need to replace it) would only the xbox get banned or would I need to also get a new gamertag? I have another unmodded xbox I also use for live.

I have been out of the original xbox genre for about a year now. But if you use xbhdm to make a new Hd for your xbox with the stock drive, you will be fine, granted you have the original eeprom. Your gamertag only gets banned for using modified content. So what I am saying is, if you use the original eeprom from your xbox to make a new hd, for example you put in an 80 gb hd, as long as you set up the hd just like a stock xbox hd, you will not get banned. I did it in the past with some dead hard drives that needed to be replaced.

#3 jim6656

jim6656

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thank you for your input. If I did get banned because of the marriage theory they would just ban my xbox that had the hd replaced right? I have an untouched xbox that I also use live.

#4 TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:23 AM

They don't ban the account, just the EEPROM on the original xbox.

You could

1) Leave it banned
2) Buy an unbanned/unused EEPROM and reflash it

#5 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Football (US), Pro Wrestling, Anime
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE(XxDUNITxX @ Feb 7 2008, 05:05 PM) View Post

I have been out of the original xbox genre for about a year now. But if you use xbhdm to make a new Hd for your xbox with the stock drive, you will be fine, granted you have the original eeprom. Your gamertag only gets banned for using modified content. So what I am saying is, if you use the original eeprom from your xbox to make a new hd, for example you put in an 80 gb hd, as long as you set up the hd just like a stock xbox hd, you will not get banned. I did it in the past with some dead hard drives that needed to be replaced.

this is untrue. this is how things were at first, but in (i believe it was) '04, eeprom's started being matched with harddrive serials.

i don't think avoiding an update would save you from the marriage theory, as the update would have likely been a server side update. to make it even more of a moot point, you can't access live without the most recent dashboard update.

if you do get banned, it is only at the system level, so you can either replace the system (roughly $40 now a days), or get a new eeprom and new harddrive. just be warned that you could be banned if you take your harddrive from the banned system, and use it on a different system. (or if you change your eeprom, but not the harddrive.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users