5 replies to this topic

#1 BOOSTED BMW

BOOSTED BMW

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

Hey guys,

My DVD-ROM Drive took a dump on me in my xbox 360 so i need to replace it with a new one.

It is a TS-H943 F/W ms25.

My question is if i buy the same exact model, is it going to be plug and play or do i need to update or do anything else?

Also if you have any other suggestions for a different DVD-ROM replacement.

any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:00 AM

Depends on exactly the type of 'dump' it took. In any case you can not just swap in a new drive straight up, the drive and motherboard are keyed together.

Your drive may just need a new laser or something else to get it going again, just depends on what's really wrong with it as to the best way to go about fixing it back up. If you plan to get a new Samsung drive and your drives Logic board is still good, and it should be unless you tried to flash it and wrecked it, in which case you're in for way more work to replace it and possibly not even being able to depending on the damage that's been done. If ya were to get another Samsung drive, version doesn't matter (ms25 or ms28) you can just swap over your Logic board from your drive to it and be done, provided your original drives board is in good order.

#3 BOOSTED BMW

BOOSTED BMW

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:15 PM

yea i never tried flashing it or anyhing..

it broke because it wouldnt eject or anything and when i took it apart the gears and tray were messed up.

the thing has always scratched my disc's anyways.

so if i buy a new drive all i have to do is just swap the logic board from my old drive?

anyone have a write up on that?

#4 absami

absami

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

i dont know abt it in detail but replacing is a very complicated process said by techies so get the old one repaired......

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:00 PM

Swapping the Logic board is about as simple as it's going to get for replacing the drive, not complicated at all.

The new drive must be a Samsung like your original one (either ms25 or ms28 will work) but it as to be a Samsung. Look at the Laser Replacement tutorial in my Sig for the Samsung and you'll see all that has to be done to get the Logic board out of the drive. The only thing ya need to be careful with are the cables, since they're so thin the contacts on the ends can be messed up if you're rough with it. Just take your time with the whole process and you'll be fine.

#6 BOOSTED BMW

BOOSTED BMW

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:38 AM

Thanks RDC!

this was seriously the easiest thing to do. I bought a new drive which was an MS25. Swap the logic board from the old one to the new DVD-ROM, which took a total of about 2 minutes for the whole thing.

Xbox works perfect and even quiter!

THanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users