• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dimpelman

dimpelman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:35 AM

A few weeks ago my dvd player (samsung) started to give errors (open tray error codes), it was completely out of the blue, used it without problems for 2 years. Then after a week it suddenly dissapeared. Till yesterday, cause then i received the first ROD ever leds 1,3 and 4 where blinking red. So i tried everything, open the 360, reconnected the dvd player etc etc. Didnt help, tried for like 1 hour to let it run fine again, but no green led the, after 2 hours it suddenly went on without an problem! but when wanted to start a game, it tried to read the dvd and it froze... I went mad LOL :-)

When i push the on button, i immediatly hear the dvd making a loud sound, so i still think its the dvd player. I tried to generate the secondary (hidden) error codes, but it didnt responded to it. It keeps giving the leds 1, 3 and 4 instead of the right codes.

Anybody can confirm that its the dvd player?

Edited by dimpelman, 05 February 2008 - 09:36 AM.

#2 dimpelman

dimpelman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

Seriously nobody??

#3 widow maker

widow maker

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:57 AM

the 3 lights of death isnt a dvd drive error mate, thats a xbox motherboard error, time to get a new 360, your lucky its worked for 2 years.

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

The 3RL is just a hardware error indicator, it could mean anything really.

M$ had extended the warranty on the 360 to 3 years for any 3RL issues, but since you've opened it that's out the window. If ya think the DVD drive is at fault remove it from the 360 and fire the thing up, it'll work fine without it if it's the cause. The drives spindle magnet may have come loose and that's what's making all the noise, but the thing freezing up on ya points more towards it being the motherboard at fault. You should be able to get the Secondary error code from it, if not look into doing the X-clamp replacement on it anyway to see if that helps it out. If that doesn't get it going again or the drive isn't what's really at fault then it's time for a new 360.

Edited by RDC, 08 February 2008 - 09:47 AM.

#5 dimpleman

dimpleman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:16 AM

YesYES! i fixed it biggrin.gif wohoo!!!

Dit the clamp thing, the videocard had come lose from the motherboard, so i soldered it, and the dvd problem is also gone, the mechanism for the laser was very dry, i used some fluid to make it go smoother, since then both problems are gone, i played my ass of this weekend tongue.gif

#6 thili55

thili55

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

Im curious to hear about your experience re-soldering the "video card" back to the motherboard.

#7 iFixThenSell

iFixThenSell

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(thili55 @ Feb 18 2008, 05:54 AM) View Post

Im curious to hear about your experience re-soldering the "video card" back to the motherboard.

Ye same here. Can you go into some detail on how you did it.

Possibly some pics?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users