Photo

3 Rrod, After Replace X-clamp Works In 3 Months Later, Code 0110!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 triple_h

triple_h

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:28 AM

few months ago I got RROD code 0110.... so I payed 30euro to fixed it, they will replace the x-clamp, 3 months laters, the problem is came back... I don't want to spend 30euro again....

it there are other way to fixed this?

thank you

#2 funboy6942

funboy6942

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:13 AM

If you can get your hands on a heat gun, 8 case fan screws, and some really goot thermal paste, and the time, to take your time to fix it yourself and right, it can be fixed.

I have fixed other xclapmp unit with great success.

What I do is remove the sinks, and clean up ALL old paste off eveything. I then take my heat gun on low and bake the board by going over each side very slowly, getting everything so hot you cant touch it. This will take care of any poor soldering jobs done. Just be sure you keep the board flat when you do this so if you do get the solder so soft you dont have resistors and crap falling off.

After it cools down do it again. After it cools done that time I set up the sinks. I use case fan screws and nothing else. The hard part is making sure you get the set up so they lay completely flat on each chip. It will take time and a lot of patience, your putting the screws up through the bottom of the board into the sinks. they are a perfect fit, dont go up to long that you have to mess up the sinks to make them fit, plus they are tapered so the board will lay flat in the case. Just be sure you dont go nut with over doing the screws the board warps and all the sinks are touching the boars where the screws go in. You need to leave a 1/8th inch gaps, about the size of the built in washer of the oem screws you take off. Doint it this way your not messing with a ton of washers, and trying to set it all up going through the bottom of the case. If it needs to be reset it can easily be done. I laugh when I re-do a xclamp unit and I got like 20 washers falling out of the case. My way cost the price of some lousy case fan screws you can buy like 50 for $5.

Once I do that I heat the board one more time, but this time I heat the piss out of the sinks really good. BTW the paste I use is a good ceramic based paste.

Then if done right it will come on. If it comes on and locks up, or gives you rrod again the gpu sink is not set down right. You must get it to sit flat, especially on the smaller gpu chip.

If it comes on but the fan is going like mad, revs up to full speed right away your cpu chip is not sitting right.

If right, it will all come on, fan will run quiet.

I then game on it for a few hours, and then overnight I run the dead or Alive demo for over 12 hours straight. if something goes wrong it will when you play that for that long over 12 hours.

If you wake up and she is still running, and the fans are still quiet, put it back together your done.

I have yet to have one come back to me or any of my customers tell me they quit working after I got done with it, doing it this way. Hope it helps you.

#3 ancell

ancell

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:16 AM

You're getting 0110 again?? This is a RAM chip error. Although in most cases this problem can be solved by performing the "X-clamp" fix on the GPU heatsink. Do you know what the person who repaired the console did? If not it's easy enough to tell, are there washers on the heatsink? If not he/she probably heated up the two visible RAM chips and called it good. There are two more under the GPU heatsink.

I've fixed a box that shot off 0102(GPU) then 0110(RAM) then 0011(CPU Overheating) in that order. So this should be fairly easy.

1/ X-clamp fix the GPU sink with either the washer fix or by replacing the heatsink screws.
2/ With the MOBO on a flat non conduvtive surface plug the power in and plug the AV cable in, do not plug the fans in!
3/ Turn the box on and let it "Bake" for 2 and a half min, and turn it off. Wait 15 min
4/ Turn the box on and you should be up and running. If so wait an hour for everything to properly cool and put it together and enjoy! If not,
5/ "Bake" the box for another 2 and half min and try again. If that still doesn't work,
6/ Get your hot air gun out and blast the two visible RAM chips on low for 1 min moving back and forth. Do not keep the gun still for any length of time, and try again. The other two RAM chips have been taken care of from the X-clamp fix.

Hope this helps......

#4 FilthySeabass

FilthySeabass

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Fishing, and Lawyering
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:58 PM

ancell has the right idea. The xclamp works, but you have to make sure you reflow the chips back on. Most of the time the box will error or overheat before this happens. I actually leave the fan plugged in but only blowing on the higher of the two heatsinks as that is the one that has the heat sensor/shutoff. By leaving on the DVD drive you can deflect heat away and make sure they both overheat. I usually leave 10-15 minutes and try it again.

#5 Derfuhrer

Derfuhrer

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:44 AM

I would do the RBJtech method to replace X-clamps and see if that works BEFORE using a heat gun..which is fairly risky even in the right hands

#6 AirRage

AirRage

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(ancell @ Jul 4 2008, 08:52 PM) View Post

You're getting 0110 again?? This is a RAM chip error. Although in most cases this problem can be solved by performing the "X-clamp" fix on the GPU heatsink. Do you know what the person who repaired the console did? If not it's easy enough to tell, are there washers on the heatsink? If not he/she probably heated up the two visible RAM chips and called it good. There are two more under the GPU heatsink.

I've fixed a box that shot off 0102(GPU) then 0110(RAM) then 0011(CPU Overheating) in that order. So this should be fairly easy.

1/ X-clamp fix the GPU sink with either the washer fix or by replacing the heatsink screws.
2/ With the MOBO on a flat non conduvtive surface plug the power in and plug the AV cable in, do not plug the fans in!
3/ Turn the box on and let it "Bake" for 2 and a half min, and turn it off. Wait 15 min
4/ Turn the box on and you should be up and running. If so wait an hour for everything to properly cool and put it together and enjoy! If not,
5/ "Bake" the box for another 2 and half min and try again. If that still doesn't work,
6/ Get your hot air gun out and blast the two visible RAM chips on low for 1 min moving back and forth. Do not keep the gun still for any length of time, and try again. The other two RAM chips have been taken care of from the X-clamp fix.

Hope this helps......

Yea did all that but trust me that wont help. It will always comeback! Work great for a month then comeback work great for a week then comeback work great for 2 hours them comeback. There is no fix. and i have done it all. Even after all thats done i have copper heatsinks on each GPU ram chiips with Arctic silver 5 on GPU and CPU. Trust me eventually you will get sick of fixing it all the time.

#7 pastortom

pastortom

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE(AirRage @ Aug 7 2008, 01:27 PM) View Post

Yea did all that but trust me that wont help. It will always comeback! Work great for a month then comeback work great for a week then comeback work great for 2 hours them comeback. There is no fix. and i have done it all. Even after all thats done i have copper heatsinks on each GPU ram chiips with Arctic silver 5 on GPU and CPU. Trust me eventually you will get sick of fixing it all the time.

It wont work with that attitude no smile.gif

Awesome advice from both ancell and funboy6942,
I think the real issue with your problem AirRage is as follows:
Either CPU/GPU with sinks not sitting properly screwed, or
you didnt heat the sinks hot enough..

I put together a XBox 360 that was taken completely apart (included CPU sink, which wasn't necessary) and when I tried to put it back together the fan went like mad up to full speed right away.. tried screwing the bolts harder (like fucking hell, was afraid I would destroy the motherboard, but infact it handles it pretty well) and it worked..

It's weird how "rough" methods one could use to fix these problems with the XBox 360.. Just goes for show that Microsoft indeed are amateurs..

Edited by pastortom, 28 August 2008 - 12:02 AM.

#8 lestat52098

lestat52098

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:52 PM

Hi guys, I have the same problem same methods and rrod keeps coming back.

I was wondering if it would be best to just have a toggle switch to be able to shut the fans off from outside to bake again and again it rather than re-opening the xbox or would this eventually cause the xbox to die?

#9 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(lestat52098 @ Oct 13 2008, 07:28 PM) View Post

I was wondering if it would be best to just have a toggle switch to be able to shut the fans off from outside to bake again and again it rather than re-opening the xbox or would this eventually cause the xbox to die?

To fix this error properly reflowing is necessary overheating will only make it worse and it will stop working once...
Follow the instructions made here to fix it properly...
-> 0110

#10 ron6399

ron6399

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE(lestat52098 @ Oct 13 2008, 12:52 PM) View Post

The bottom line is the heat gun applied on the bottom of the board near the gpu above and below near the hana chip tipically fixes the problem if you apply the heat hot enough for at least 2-3 minutes they say. Yes if you don't control the heat on the gpu the problem will reappear. The gpu heatsink does not dissipate enough heat because it doesn't have the mass to do so. You add in not enough fan cooling and you have a design flawed xbox 360. To stave off this issue you can insert a baffle to concentrate/isolate the fan behind the gpu heatsink, also use cardboard to add to the shroud directly over the gpu heatsink helps along with better fans running faster because of higher voltage supplied. I have given up on a long term fix in the original 360 case, and gone to the Lian-Li XB01 case. This case has the flexibility to deal directly with the gpu heatsink problem. I put the second generation cpu heatsink on both the gpu and cpu. I also put a fan directly in front of the gpu heatsink and it bearly gets luke warm, thus controlling this out of control heat issue. The box gets plenty of ventilation and my son beats on this box unmercifully for hours upon hours. I couldn't get a week of running before and now he's heading for a month and a half or more without a glitch, and his room is like a sauna sometimes. I know the xb01 is not for everyone but if you get sick of dealing with ripping your box apart, the ultimate fix sure makes life easy, heck some guys are using water cooling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users