• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sintek209

sintek209

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

My friend is thinking of buying a used xbox 360 from some guy from his work. I guess the guy had tried to work on the motherboard and messed it up, so he had bought another motherboard from someplace online, but never got a key. He cant use the dvdrom and motherboard together since he doesn't have the key i assume so now he wants to sale it to my friend. From what i've read on this site, you can retrieve a code from a dvd drive to replace in another dvd drive as long as you use the same motherboard.
What I'm wondering is, what if you want to switch motherboards and don't have that motherboards associated key?
Is there a way to unlock the key association or retrieve the key somehow from a new motherboard?

Hopefully I'm understanding the whole key association correctly.

#2 slimgrip

slimgrip

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:NorthWest UK's Premiere 360 Modding Service
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

At the moment the only method of key retrieval is from the DVD associated with the Motherboard.

If he hasnt got the DVD drive or key associated with the motherboard he wants to use he is wasting his money!

#3 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

no it is not possible to retrieve the key from a new motherboard that has no dvd drive. to use the infectus chip to retrieve the key from the motherboard, you need a dvd drive with the correct key

#4 sini

sini

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

The only way to retrieve from mobo is to boot into linux but ironically you would need the dvd drive to install linux , so pointless comment by me tongue.gif

#5 sintek209

sintek209

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(sini @ Feb 6 2008, 09:55 AM) View Post

The only way to retrieve from mobo is to boot into linux but ironically you would need the dvd drive to install linux , so pointless comment by me tongue.gif

I thought you could only run backups on a 360 as of now. I didnt relise you could put linux on it. The guy said he could play movies and cds fine using the unkeyed dvdrom, but games dont work... could there still be away to install linux on it if the dvdrom is reading movies and cds? If so then could the Key be retrieved from the motherboard.

#6 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:01 PM

Movies work but games don't and as Linux boots through a Shader bug found in the King Kong game there's no way to get it on a 360 without a fully working DVD-Rom.
At this point in time buying a board without the DVD key is only a waste of money.

#7 sintek209

sintek209

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:19 AM

Thanks everybody for clearing it all up for me!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users