X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Interests:xbox and my truck
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:29 PM

hey guys im adding leds around the drums and after talking with rdc my original plans are not going to work. i wanted to stick 6 leds around each drum head that match but rdc told me that it will draw to much on the 5v so i would have to have them externally powered.

so now im just going to have 12 leds instead of 24 which means im only going to be doing 2 drum heads. i was thinking of just doing the 2 outer drum heads in red leds since i already have one of them done or do you think i should do the blue drum in blue?

here are some crappy pics of the red drum done

an overview of the rol and the drum head
IPB Image

close up on rol
IPB Image

close up on drum
IPB Image

gimme some ideas guys either which drum i should do or a way to power them other than the 5v

thanks wink.gif

#2 SuperStition

SuperStition

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:43 AM

Are they going to be color coded? Red red lights, blue blue lights, etc?

#3 purerockfury

purerockfury

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:03 AM

do the drums on the 360 version get hardwired to the 360? or are they wireless? if they are hardwired maybe you can run some wire from the 360 to the leds along the wire for the drums. if this is the case than you can use a connector to connect and disconnect the power.

#4 Infamous Ob

Infamous Ob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • Interests:Family&Children, Traveling, Skateboarding, Cars, Electronics, Music, G4TV, Nice Homes, GTA Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:45 AM

Looks pretty good. What about installing one of the Xerc's so that the LED's can react to when you hit the Drumpad with the Drumsticks?

#5 box_69

box_69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:04 AM

Are they going to be color coded? Red red lights, blue blue lights, etc?

that was the original plan but rdc said that they would need an alternate power source since they would almost max out the usb by themselves and not leave any power for the drum set.
so then the next plan was to either find another way to power them or to just do the 2 outer drums the red and green both in red leds.

do the drums on the 360 version get hardwired to the 360? or are they wireless? if they are hardwired maybe you can run some wire from the 360 to the leds along the wire for the drums. if this is the case than you can use a connector to connect and disconnect the power.

the drums are hard wired and that is an option but i was trying to not add extra wire.
maybe some sort of battery pack or something? i dont know.

Looks pretty good. What about installing one of the Xerc's so that the LED's can react to when you hit the Drumpad with the Drumsticks?

hmm dont know how i would work that i have an xerc for the original xbox layin around

#6 SuperStition

SuperStition

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:33 AM

Well, Maybe you should go with less led's? or maybe yeah get a battery pack, like rechargable one or something.

#7 box_69

box_69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:52 AM

problem is i already drilled 12 holes in 2 drums 6 in each and the red drum is already done and re-mounted
so using less leds is kinda out of the question

and if i could find a way to hook up the PnC kit that would be great because i have 6 batteries and only 2 controllers so i have 4 spares

#8 Logi7

Logi7

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:27 AM

any updates?

4 leds on each would still be pretty cool

id love a tutorial

#9 box_69

box_69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:35 AM

well i was going to drop by ratshack today to get a battery box to power the leds but they went out of business!!! and they were the only electronics store around so im having to order everything on line but they will get done.

still waitin for a little money to get the yellow and green leds but i have blue so ill be working on that drum

i would do 4 leds but i think that is still drawing to much current from the usb for the drums to work properly plus i have the red done with six already and it looks to good to do just four so ill figure it out

i can do a tutorial in the next couple days opening the drums was a PAIN IN THE ASS. i searched for hours on the net tryin to find a tut on how to open them up but came up with nothin so i will try to make one soon wink.gif

#10 Logi7

Logi7

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE(box_69 @ Feb 14 2008, 09:11 AM) View Post

well i was going to drop by ratshack today to get a battery box to power the leds but they went out of business!!! and they were the only electronics store around so im having to order everything on line but they will get done.

still waitin for a little money to get the yellow and green leds but i have blue so ill be working on that drum

i would do 4 leds but i think that is still drawing to much current from the usb for the drums to work properly plus i have the red done with six already and it looks to good to do just four so ill figure it out

i can do a tutorial in the next couple days opening the drums was a PAIN IN THE ASS. i searched for hours on the net tryin to find a tut on how to open them up but came up with nothin so i will try to make one soon wink.gif

I really dont want to have an external power supply
how many LEDs do you think i can use that would still be acceptable?

damn i thought LEDs used very little power, youd think the rumble in a 360 controller would use more power than 24 leds would

#11 box_69

box_69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

each led uses 20ma
i asked RDC about it and he said that the usb only pushes 500ma so you add that up and thats 480ma so its using almost all the power

you could probably do 3 leds on each drum but i don't know how good that would look

#12 Logi7

Logi7

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(box_69 @ Feb 14 2008, 09:47 AM) View Post

each led uses 20ma
i asked RDC about it and he said that the usb only pushes 500ma so you add that up and thats 480ma so its using almost all the power

you could probably do 3 leds on each drum but i don't know how good that would look

Ill probably do 3 then

thanks

#13 box_69

box_69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:51 AM