6 replies to this topic

#1 fightinchikn

fightinchikn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:45 AM

Hey guys,

I realize this is probably a dead subject by now but I couldn't get the search feature to work so hopefully someone could help me out. Today I picked up a HD DVD Drive to connect to the Xbox (Yeah its dying off but it was on amazon god box deals for 79.99). I have an older Xbox with no HDMI output. My TV is a 32" Toshiba Regza model with 720p max. Will there be much difference in using component and hdmi. Ive tossed around the idea of selling my current xbox to get one with hdmi. Will there be much improved picture quality for me? Thanks for the help.

#2 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:00 AM

Does your TV support VGA? If so, just get a VGA cable so you can (hopefully) get 1:1 pixel mapping without any overscan. 32" isn't very big, and if you're sitting more than 4 feet away, you probably won't notice a difference between Component, VGA, or HDMI. Yes, HDMI is (almost) always best, technically speaking, but on a smaller 720p TV, the difference (if any) is pretty negligible.

#3 fightinchikn

fightinchikn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:11 AM

It has a 15 Pin D-Sub PC Input... Thats a VGA plug right? How would that compare to the component cables? And then it has 3 Hdmi and 2 component inputs...but if there wont be a big difference on a medium lcd screen I suppose theres not much point in upgrading to an hdmi equipped xbox...unless i get a bigger tv. rolleyes.gif

Edited by fightinchikn, 07 February 2008 - 07:18 AM.

#4 SphtKr76

SphtKr76

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:38 PM

Try the VGA and see how you like it. IMO, either one will look great with your new HD DVD drive.

#5 Bannedfromlive

Bannedfromlive

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

Despite what different people say. I can guarantee you that vga is far superior to component otherwise for the past decade we would have been using componet cables on our pc screens.

However hdmi is far superior to vga, It gives you 1.1 pixel mapping so you will see a big difference also with hdmi you get more benifit from upscaling due to the 1.1 pixel mapping. I have a 32" lcd screen with hdmi vga and component and have used all 3.

I used vga on my old xbox360 set to 'expanded' in the options to allow for greater black levels. Then I bought a new xbox 360 with falcon mobo extra heatsink and hdmi.

The difference in picture quality is huge hdmi gives you a proper digital picture no change like in anoluge signals i.e vga, component.

Also a 32" lcd is huge you will see the difference from vga to hdmi trust me...

#6 fightinchikn

fightinchikn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:21 AM

If I were to go the route of getting a new 360 with HDMi could I just get the arcade edition. As in, is it available with the new falcon board and HDMI?

#7 Bannedfromlive

Bannedfromlive

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:12 PM

Yeah my new 360 is an arcade model got it for 149.99 from gamestation brand new, Came with arcade games disk 256mb memory card, Wireless pad.

Had falcon mobo, Hdmi + extra heatsink next to dvd rom.

I got my new 360 to update from my old (vga only) 360 and dont regret it at all. In fact I made a nice profit on my old one so very happy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users