• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:03 PM

Activision Projects 2008 Hardware Sales
Posted by XanTium | February 8 17:03 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From xbox360.ign.com:

During its Q3 2008 earnings release conference call, Activision discussed its hardware sales estimates for the 2008 calendar year in North America.

The ranges given were 4-5 million units sold for Xbox 360 and 3-4 million for PS3. Still, Activision predicts the Wii to outsell both of its competitors by a substantial margin with greater than 6 million units shifted at retail. Rounding out the projections are the PS2 at 2-3 million in sales and all handhelds combined with over 10 million in sales.

Full Story: xbox360.ign.com

#2 Base8

Base8

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

Sounds about right, i wonder if the wii will ever be widely available this year. It seems like its been out for a long time to still be having shortages.

#3 Bubbalynch

Bubbalynch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Gaming Consoles, PC's, Electronics, Music, Movies, Sports ect.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:44 AM

I swear I think the RRoD is selling PS3's like nobody's business...

#4 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:45 AM

Hum, I thought Activision made games?

#5 stezo2k

stezo2k

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE(bucko @ Feb 9 2008, 02:21 AM) View Post

Hum, I thought Activision made games?

they do, they make hardware too like the guitar hero controller

#6 Software2

Software2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Computing, gaming, and uh... is there anything else in life?

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:13 AM

Seriously. I mean this. Not trolling.

Why are people buying Wiis like this? What games does it have that are so great and numerous as to warrant such successful numbers? I can count on one hand the great exclusives that I'm aware of.

I live in Redmond. It takes literally 30 seconds for me to walk onto Nintendo's campus. I'm in the heart of the thing. Most people I know have connections to get them into the Nintendo store, so they can get even new releases for cheap. My roommate owns a Wii, and he's bought more games for my 360 than he has for his own system.

I know individual reasons why people have bought Wiis, but honestly, there just can't be that many people buying the system in anticipation of Smash Brothers. What is causing millions to flock to what is, by any technical measure other than number of consoles sold, a lesser system?

Is it just hype? Is it the ipod of gaming? Are people just buying it because other people are? Still, after all this time? This honestly keeps me awake at night every time I see these figures appear.

#7 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE(Software2 @ Feb 9 2008, 03:49 AM) View Post

Why are people buying Wiis like this? What games does it have that are so great and numerous as to warrant such successful numbers? I can count on one hand the great exclusives that I'm aware of.

I live in Redmond. It takes literally 30 seconds for me to walk onto Nintendo's campus. I'm in the heart of the thing. Most people I know have connections to get them into the Nintendo store, so they can get even new releases for cheap. My roommate owns a Wii, and he's bought more games for my 360 than he has for his own system.

I know individual reasons why people have bought Wiis, but honestly, there just can't be that many people buying the system in anticipation of Smash Brothers. What is causing millions to flock to what is, by any technical measure other than number of consoles sold, a lesser system?

Is it just hype? Is it the ipod of gaming? Are people just buying it because other people are? Still, after all this time? This honestly keeps me awake at night every time I see these figures appear.

Ever heard of the "pet rock" phenomenon? Sometimes marketing/timing/culture just gets it right. I'm not saying the Wii is a rock but merely pointing out that they managed to luck into becoming "THE fad" and "THE Must Own Item" at exactly the right time. No one could or would have predicted. They were good but very lucky. Same thing with Coleco's Cabbage Patch kids back in the day - decent doll and idea but my God.

Edited by ChrisF, 09 February 2008 - 04:01 AM.

#8 metalcoat

metalcoat

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE(Software2 @ Feb 9 2008, 03:49 AM) View Post

Yes it is purely hype. You have to remember that non-traditional gamers are buying this. My mother bought one thinking "cool" now it's in the closet. It's effect have worn off the people that bought one. Is ebay full of used systems? That's the only way I can justify my statement.

#9 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE(Bubbalynch @ Feb 9 2008, 01:20 AM) View Post

I swear I think the RRoD is selling PS3's like nobody's business...

People who exchange their unit at a store bump MS's numbers up.
People who are fed up and jump ship bump Sony's (or Nintendo's) numbers up.

The RRoD is good for everybody!

QUOTE(stezo2k @ Feb 9 2008, 01:32 AM) View Post

they do, they make hardware too like the guitar hero controller

I thought Harmonix and Red Octane made the Guitar.

Edited by HotKnife420, 09 February 2008 - 06:04 AM.

#10 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Software2 @ Feb 9 2008, 02:49 AM) View Post

This honestly keeps me awake at night every time I see these figures appear.

You need an external life. Why does it matter to you to the extent you lose sleep over figures for recreational toys?
Whatever your thoughts on the Wii it has appeal to a vast range of gamers of all ages. It is the only console that you could buy play for a year then still sell it for more than you paid for it on the run up to Xmas 2007

The RRoD is good for everybody!

Not for people on their 4th or 5th unit.

Edited by Chancer, 09 February 2008 - 04:21 PM.

#11 Software2

Software2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Feb 9 2008, 10:55 AM) View Post

You need an external life. Why does it matter to you to the extent you lose sleep over figures for recreational toys?
Whatever your thoughts on the Wii it has appeal to a vast range of gamers of all ages. It is the only console that you could buy play for a year then still sell it for more than you paid for it on the run up to Xmas 2007

What's worse? The person whose livelihood is in the video game industry asking questions because something doesn't follow logical operating trends, or the person who sits on a message board telling people to get a life?

#12 Tony42077

Tony42077

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE(Software2 @ Feb 9 2008, 07:38 PM) View Post

What's worse? The person whose livelihood is in the video game industry asking questions because something doesn't follow logical operating trends, or the person who sits on a message board telling people to get a life?

I'd have to say that it's a person that puts a picture in their avatar from like 15 years ago because it makes them feel young. tongue.gif

No, but seriously, I know a lot of old people that own a wii just for their grand kids to play when they come over. They don't own any games besides wii sports, and it makes them feel 'hip' to join the wii phenomenon. Many of these people were conned into thinking that the wii nunchuck is actually a lot more healthy for you because you moved your arms around when you used it. I'd have to say that it is healthier, because you play it for a little while, get bored of it, then go find something else to do.

Edited by Tony42077, 10 February 2008 - 08:56 AM.

#13 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Software2 @ Feb 9 2008, 06:38 PM) View Post

If I ever start losing sleep over a Toy then I will worry. Quite a difference from spending some time reading this board to not sleeping on a night. The response was to your Pathetic statement about losing sleep. Oh and if you work in the video games industry how come you need to ask old people on here why the Wii is selling so good. Leave out your bullshit about what you do. You could say what the fuck you wanted and I have no way of verifying it even if I gave a shit. You really need to get out more.
I'd have to say that it's a person that puts a picture in their avatar from like 15 years ago because it makes them feel young.

You obviously don't know who the picture is.
What is wrong with older generations playing Wii sports? Really?
It has obviously made software feel threatened by it's popularity.
Us old people still have lives believe it or not... and do you know what the best bit is?
We can afford every console going, even if we only want to play Wii sports on it for the odd hour

Edited by Chancer, 10 February 2008 - 05:20 PM.

#14 Software2

Software2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Feb 10 2008, 11:49 AM) View Post

If I ever start losing sleep over a Toy then I will worry. Quite a difference from spending some time reading this board to not sleeping on a night. The response was to your Pathetic statement about losing sleep. Oh and if you work in the video games industry how come you need to ask old people on here why the Wii is selling so good. Leave out your bullshit about what you do. You could say what the fuck you wanted and I have no way of verifying it even if I gave a shit. You really need to get out more.

Who keeps pissing in your cheerios every morning? Chill out man.
I don't need to explain why I have questions, and I certainly don't need to prove that I work in a large industry to satisfy your needs. All I did was ask a question, and every single person that replied did so in a constructive and beneficial manner, except for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users