3 replies to this topic

#1 LegendaryGamer

LegendaryGamer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:07 PM

My mod ideal is almost complete and Im trying to get the final parts needed to complete it. I have a question about the PSU Energyzer for Xbox 360 though? I have a 300watt power supply now and wonder will this be good enough to power the xbox 360 and a waterpump? What will be a ideal PSU to use with the PSU Energyzer for Xbox 360 that will power the Xbox 360 safely and power other devices like a waterpump? Meaning best watts to use that are safe and brand if any? Thanks for any help that can be provided.

LegendaryGamer

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,790 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:39 AM

Forget the Watt rating when looking for an ATX PSU to use, that's a combination of the 12v, 5v and 3.3v lines of it anyway. The 175W/203W rating of the 360 PSU is just for the 12v since all it is is just a big 12v PSU, so a 300W ATX PSU is not more powerful than the 175W/203W brick of the 360. Because you're only after the 12v of the ATX when using it for the 360 you need to make sure it has around 16.5A on the 12v rail, since that's what the stock PSU of the 360 is. You'll have to get around a 400W to 500W PSU to have that many Amps on the 12v rail, but look at the Amp specs of 12v rail of the ATX PSU to determine what ya should get.

#3 XboxGuru

XboxGuru

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

Indeed wattage means nothing on comp PSUs.

Wattage is volts multiplied by amps. Then when you add all of the watts together you have the total watts.

The xbox PSU only has a large 16.5 12 volt rail with a 5 volt 1 amp standby rail.

A computer PSU has many more it has a 3.3 volt rail, 5 volt rail, 5 volt standby rail, -12 volt rail, a 12 volt rail, and on some other supplies an additional 12 volt rail.

As you can see there with all of those rails even if the 12 volt rail was lower then the xboxes 16.5 amps the other rails could compensate and easily affect the total wattage rating.

I'm using the Antec Truepower 2.0 500W supply you can find them on e-bay for around 30 to 50 bucks.

This PSU powers my comp its got 17 amps on one of the 12 volt rails and 19 amps on the other and its also got 2 fans the intake fan runs when the supply is on and an additional exhaust fan powers up when the PSU temps begin to rise beyond when fan 1 can handle. The fans on this supply are whisper quiet. Much quieter then those leaf blowers on the 360 anyways laugh.gif. Thats next on my list.

I haven't received my cable yet but I took out my computer supply and temporarily spliced it into the xbox for testing and it worked great.

Antec stopped making this supply because stupid customers returned them thinking that the rear fan wasn't working it was so bad actually they had to put a piece of paper on the back explaining it laugh.gif.

I would stay away from cheap Chinese brands since they have no problem outright lying on the labels about the PSUs amperage on the rails and they only way you will find this sad fact out is when your PSU turns into a smoking paperweight.

I have an @-Power supply here which claims 450 watts when I opened the supply and checked the heatsinks for heat dissipation and the rectifiers (one of the rectifiers were 2 discrete diodes clamped to the heatsink) rather then a standard TO-220 package from my calculations that supply was 250 watts at best.

Stick with known brands your 360 is worth it.

Edited by XboxGuru, 11 February 2008 - 01:03 PM.

#4 LegendaryGamer

LegendaryGamer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(XboxGuru @ Feb 11 2008, 04:26 AM) View Post

Indeed wattage means nothing on comp PSUs.

Wattage is volts multiplied by amps. Then when you add all of the watts together you have the total watts.

The xbox PSU only has a large 16.5 12 volt rail with a 5 volt 1 amp standby rail.

A computer PSU has many more it has a 3.3 volt rail, 5 volt rail, 5 volt standby rail, -12 volt rail, a 12 volt rail, and on some other supplies an additional 12 volt rail.

As you can see there with all of those rails even if the 12 volt rail was lower then the xboxes 16.5 amps the other rails could compensate and easily affect the total wattage rating.

I'm using the Antec Truepower 2.0 500W supply you can find them on e-bay for around 30 to 50 bucks.

This PSU powers my comp its got 17 amps on one of the 12 volt rails and 19 amps on the other and its also got 2 fans the intake fan runs when the supply is on and an additional exhaust fan powers up when the PSU temps begin to rise beyond when fan 1 can handle. The fans on this supply are whisper quiet. Much quieter then those leaf blowers on the 360 anyways laugh.gif. Thats next on my list.

I haven't received my cable yet but I took out my computer supply and temporarily spliced it into the xbox for testing and it worked great.

Antec stopped making this supply because stupid customers returned them thinking that the rear fan wasn't working it was so bad actually they had to put a piece of paper on the back explaining it laugh.gif.

I would stay away from cheap Chinese brands since they have no problem outright lying on the labels about the PSUs amperage on the rails and they only way you will find this sad fact out is when your PSU turns into a smoking paperweight.

I have an @-Power supply here which claims 450 watts when I opened the supply and checked the heatsinks for heat dissipation and the rectifiers (one of the rectifiers were 2 discrete diodes clamped to the heatsink) rather then a standard TO-220 package from my calculations that supply was 250 watts at best.

Stick with known brands your 360 is worth it.

Thanks I will. So a 500watt is best. I'll look around.

LegendaryGamer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users