Photo

Can't Get Files Streaming From My Computer - Help?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PetriesLastWord

PetriesLastWord

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:49 AM

I've been googling, searching forums, and experimenting for days now. I'm new to XBMC, and got everything set up. I'm able to FTP files and all that, but I can't seem to get the program to allow me to stream music, video, and such from my computer's hard drive. I think I have everything enabled correctly, but I could (and probably am) wrong. Does anyone know what might be my issue? Is there some simple thing I may be overlooking?

#2 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE(PetriesLastWord @ Feb 12 2008, 01:25 AM) View Post

I've been googling, searching forums, and experimenting for days now. I'm new to XBMC, and got everything set up. I'm able to FTP files and all that, but I can't seem to get the program to allow me to stream music, video, and such from my computer's hard drive. I think I have everything enabled correctly, but I could (and probably am) wrong. Does anyone know what might be my issue? Is there some simple thing I may be overlooking?

To stream things from my pc to my xbox I use a UPNP client called Tversity I've never had any issues with it. I like it a lot actually. maybe you should look into that... I've tried and tried but never could get any SMB shares to work, I'm not exactly sure why, probably something simple but anyhow I quit trying on account that tversity works great anyhow.

#3 PetriesLastWord

PetriesLastWord

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:28 AM

Everyone made it sound like XBMC was this easy, do everything system, but I'm usually pretty tech savvy, yet can't for the life of me even figure out how this SMB thing works. The internet seems to be of no help in this case, as hours on end of searching have returned nothing. Might just have to invest in a PS3 as my media hub, which saddens me.

#4 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

SMB = Shares.

Create a share on your PC and add it to XBMC as a source.

If you have problems with this, read the friendly manual.

If you still have problems with this, provide some details on what you've got and what you've done.

#5 Stefan Leroux

Stefan Leroux

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

I wouldn't go for a PS3 until I'd messed about with XBMC quite a bit more. Might be jaded opinion but if the SMB shares aren't working on XBMC, then you're aw well to try the other protocols first as well, before resorting to the expense of a PS3.

The SMB shares can sometimes be a bit awkward in XBMC. I have no idea why, I've always had great success and use them allways to stream for 4 different computers. I have known others who can't find the computer, can't go into unpassworded shares, and as always, ones who haven't shared anything and think it'll magicly work.

If this isn't working for you, then the best solution is UPnP. As competes2win says, TVersity is a really good program that will do all of this, free, but if you don't want to install more programs then WMP11 does it as well.

If you know that you have shared something, then make sure that the XBox and PC can see each other by trying to connect to FTP and by going to View WorkGroups in XBMC Filemanager. If you can FTP but not see your computer then its either a network problem, or a firewall problem. If you see the computer but no files, its a sharing problem, and if you see nothing and FTP fails its definitly a network issue.

#6 PetriesLastWord

PetriesLastWord

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Feb 12 2008, 07:21 AM) View Post

SMB = Shares.

Create a share on your PC and add it to XBMC as a source.

If you have problems with this, read the friendly manual.

If you still have problems with this, provide some details on what you've got and what you've done.

It's adding it as a source where I run into issues, it doesn't show up in the sources, and I can't seem to get it there despite my efforts.

I dunno if it helps, but I used to stream music to my 360, then I reinstalled Windows. Since then, I've been unable to stream my music to the 360. It wasn't a huge deal, so I never bothered fixing it. Not sure what would happen to cause this though.

Edited by PetriesLastWord, 13 February 2008 - 03:20 AM.

#7 6StringKng

6StringKng

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Computers, XBMC, Music, Guitar...
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:26 AM

I create Samba shares to stream everything over, gonna have to deal with it till i get a bigger HDD >.<

Thinking 160GB should be enough smile.gif

damn, scanning for new content takes forever now (with the new T3CH build, as of 2-10-2008), seems it downloads the show information instead of just scanning...well, looks like it will take a while considering its 40 something GB of TV shows and movies >.<

Edited by 6StringKng, 13 February 2008 - 03:29 AM.

#8 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE(PetriesLastWord @ Feb 13 2008, 01:52 PM) View Post

It's adding it as a source where I run into issues, it doesn't show up in the sources, and I can't seem to get it there despite my efforts.

Did you find the option to add a network source?

Once you've done that, you should be able to set the type to SMB... Then just Browse to your destination.

If XBMC can't find the network you should at least be getting a message telling you so.

If you're unable to get that far... Provide details on exactly what you've done.

#9 PetriesLastWord

PetriesLastWord

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Feb 12 2008, 11:31 PM) View Post

Did you find the option to add a network source?

Once you've done that, you should be able to set the type to SMB... Then just Browse to your destination.

If XBMC can't find the network you should at least be getting a message telling you so.

If you're unable to get that far... Provide details on exactly what you've done.

That is exactly where I get to. I'm told it can't find my network. On the PC end I've tried to reconfigure my network through the wizard, but for some reason it can't run at all. I can't open windows firewall either. Awhile back I was able to stream to my 360 as well, but after a reinstall of Windows, I lost that ability. Would my best bet here be to start with a fresh install of Windows, or is there something else I might be able to do to get my network running?

#10 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:06 AM

So you've set up the share, and managed to ask XBMC to check the network. You then get a message telling you it cannot be found. Now we're getting somewhere!

Jump back to your PC, and bring up the properties page for the NIC that leads to your X-Box. You'll see a list of services/protocols titled:

"This connection uses the following items:"

If you don't see "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" in there, use the Install button to add it (it's a Service).

If that still doesn't help, which version of Windows are you using?

#11 PetriesLastWord

PetriesLastWord

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Feb 13 2008, 03:42 AM) View Post

So you've set up the share, and managed to ask XBMC to check the network. You then get a message telling you it cannot be found. Now we're getting somewhere!

Jump back to your PC, and bring up the properties page for the NIC that leads to your X-Box. You'll see a list of services/protocols titled:

"This connection uses the following items:"

If you don't see "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" in there, use the Install button to add it (it's a Service).

If that still doesn't help, which version of Windows are you using?

First of all, thank you very much for trying to help a relative novice like myself. It is quite appreciated.

I did try what you asked, and it is enabled. I'm currently running Windows XP, I'm not sure if you need specifics beyond that.

#12 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:55 AM

Try manually entering the path using the computers' IP (instead of browsing).

For example:

smb://<PC's IP>/<Name of shared folder>

XP Home or Pro?

#13 Stefan Leroux

Stefan Leroux

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:10 PM

Just to clarify, are you connected via router or crossover cable. And is XBMC giving you an IP address thats close to your PC IP (I'm sorry, I don't know how better to put it, but you said your tech savvy so I guess you know what I mean).

#14 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE(Stefan Leroux @ Feb 14 2008, 01:46 AM) View Post
And is XBMC giving you an IP address thats close to your PC IP (I'm sorry, I don't know how better to put it, but you said your tech savvy so I guess you know what I mean).

That's a valid point - SMB only works if all the IPs are on the one network.

#15 kato66

kato66

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE(competes2win @ Feb 12 2008, 08:26 AM) View Post

To stream things from my pc to my xbox I use a UPNP client called Tversity I've never had any issues with it. I like it a lot actually. maybe you should look into that... I've tried and tried but never could get any SMB shares to work, I'm not exactly sure why, probably something simple but anyhow I quit trying on account that tversity works great anyhow.

Tversity FTW smile.gif I have been trying to stream from my Vista machine on and off for around a year now. I've tried everything and nothing seem to work. Then I read this post, installed Tversity, added a folder that I wanted to share in Tversity, went over to my xbox.. clicked the boxes under UPNP settings in Network in xmbc..and clicked UnPn Server in Video..and there is the folder I added to share in Tverysity w00t biggrin.gif Thanks competes2win for telling us about this great free program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users