• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kandd

kandd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

Hi guys this might seem a silly question but i have been offered an ntsc xbox 360 with the dvd drive not working this is easily fixed BUT! is it useless to me because of ntsc? I wonder if it is possible that the drive is the ntsc bit and i could put a pal drive in it? could someone shed some light for me?

#2 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:21 AM

the drive itself is not region coded, the region lock is in the console itself

and also make sure you know exactly what the problem with the dvd drive is. if it has an incorrect DVD key, it will only be a expensive DVD player

Edited by scuba156, 19 February 2008 - 08:22 AM.

#3 kandd

kandd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

Hmm expensive dvd player? cant i just buy any 1 and change it over? its not reading disks...

And can ya change the region at all?

#4 aeroforce325

aeroforce325

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE(kandd @ Feb 19 2008, 04:21 AM) View Post

Hmm expensive dvd player? cant i just buy any 1 and change it over? its not reading disks...

And can ya change the region at all?

^^^throw in a bit more cash for a infectus and time attack pcb and you'll be able to pull off the timing attack to downgrade your consoles kernel to an exploitable one, which would then allow you to obtain your consoles own unique CPU key. that would then allow you to access regional control settings on the console and effectively change it to PAL region encoding.

now dont take what i said as being easy......cause it's not. it's actually fairly complicated when you begin the timing attack of your console to downgrade its kernel, and obtaining the CPU key. it may seem like a simple solution, but you actually need to know the hacks necessary yourself......that or know someone who can effectively do it for you. be forewarned though. once this hack is done you cant change it unless you know the hacks to get into your systems regional settings. only way to change it back to its native region would be to send it back to whoever did the mod and hacks for you and have them reverse it to set the system back to the region it originally was.

anyways.....for example i believe Grim187 can do the modding and hacking to change the systems region. i recall him offering to do this very mod for someone in the xbox 360 BST forum. so best suggestion would be to find his BST topic on that forum and make a post asking him if he'll do it for you and see what he'll charge to do it.

#5 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:39 AM

while the infectus mod can get the dvd key, you still need a working drive to use it.

the DVD drive gets paired with the motherboard using a DVD key. if the key on the dvd drive is not identical to the one stored on the system, it will not allow any games to boot

#6 aeroforce325

aeroforce325

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:49 AM

i'm not entirely sure, but i think you might be right. i do know that the systems CPU key was definitely required though my memory is a little hazy on how the whole process goes. but if the dvd key was indeed needed as well then you should keep the original drive.

again as i said explore all of your options with Grim187. he may know of ways around that problem and such that me and scuba arent aware of, cause as i said he was offering someone on the BST this mod. just keep your system as is unless he suggests otherwise, and ask him to fix and mod it and see what he says about costs and all. he might just do it. cant hurt asking the guy.

Edited by aeroforce325, 20 February 2008 - 09:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users