• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:01 AM

GDC 2008: Will Microsoft partner with Netflix? - Other Guesses for Keynote
Posted by XanTium | February 19 22:01 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From msnbc.msn.com:

Bloggers and reporters have been buzzing about the possibility of a partnership for almost a year, ever since Netflix CEO Reed Hastings joined Microsoft's board of directors last March. But there have been other hints that the two were inching toward a more formal marriage.

The announcement, if it happens, will likely take place during the keynote address at the Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco on Wednesday. The show, which is now 21 years old, is expected to draw over 16,000 game-makers from all over the world. People usually line up hours ahead of time for the keynote, delivered this year by Xbox Live exec John Schappert.

"A partnership with Netflix gives Microsoft a partner that already streams movies to over 7 million subscribers through their PCs, and encourages these subscribers to sign up for the Xbox Live service in order to stream movies to their TVs," says Pachter.

For Netflix, the deal would mean tapping into all those Xbox 360 owners who may or may not already be members of its service. And it strengthens the company's arsenal as it competes with Amazon.com, which last year partnered with TiVo on a movie download service, and Apple, which launched Apple TV last year.

Microsoft won't comment on the rumor. An e-mail query to Schappert netted only a "Stay tuned!" reply.

Kotaku.com has other guesses about what Microsoft might announce during their GDC keynote:

* Gears of War 2: This has almost moved beyond rumor and become fact. Word of some possible Gears 2 announcement has been making the round for weeks now.

* Live Anywhere: It could be the long-ago announced and nearly forgotten mobile implementation of Live Anywhere... perhaps tied to big games like Bioshock (which already has a mobile game in the works) and Gears of War 2.

* XNA Arcade: Obviously something has to be said about Microsoft's casual game development tool, XNA. They even have an area in their XNA space at GDC still underwraps until 11:30 a.m. tomorrow. (Right after the keynote). Our money is on Microsoft unveiling a broader distribution model for XNA produced games, like, perhaps, a new blade on Xbox Live.

Full Story: msnbc.msn.com | kotaku.com

#2 PerfectGun

PerfectGun

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:50 AM

Not much of a Kotaku fan, they seem to want to take any surprise MS has and either spoil it or downplay the hell out of it.

I wonder about this Netflix thing. Doesn't this directly compete with the current offerings on XBL? Would they do away with all that content and replace it with a Netflix deal? I don't see any advantage to this for MS, people aren't going to buy a 360 because Netflix is available. While Netflix would be tapping into the XBL userbase to widen it's customer potential.

I do not want another pay-for service on XBL, sorry not interested. The current model is good and I don't even use that one. I'm not going to be raped by MS for one of their external drives that are beyond over-priced and my 20gig isn't big enough to use these services even if I wanted too.

Let's hope MS focuses on some gaming news at this conference, isn't that what the 360 is first and foremost?

#3 pmprints

pmprints

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:52 AM

I would get Netflix through the 360 no question.
I really hope they announce live anywhere and have it moving somewhere. It was announced in 2006, and I have since been entirely disappointed in MS for not doing anything with it. If you think about it, it could have huge potential. Games, Zune music, anywhere from my computer, xbox to my phone, that would seriously rock.

#4 Mr Invader

Mr Invader

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:17 AM

I really just care about the games and new SKUs (if any). And an announcement about Blu-ray add on would be nice too.

#5 slipstream

slipstream

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE(PerfectGun @ Feb 20 2008, 05:26 AM) View Post

Not much of a Kotaku fan, they seem to want to take any surprise MS has and either spoil it or downplay the hell out of it.

I wonder about this Netflix thing. Doesn't this directly compete with the current offerings on XBL? Would they do away with all that content and replace it with a Netflix deal? I don't see any advantage to this for MS, people aren't going to buy a 360 because Netflix is available. While Netflix would be tapping into the XBL userbase to widen it's customer potential.

I do not want another pay-for service on XBL, sorry not interested. The current model is good and I don't even use that one. I'm not going to be raped by MS for one of their external drives that are beyond over-priced and my 20gig isn't big enough to use these services even if I wanted too.

Let's hope MS focuses on some gaming news at this conference, isn't that what the 360 is first and foremost?

I dont think netflix streaming would go against the video marketplace, since they have a pretty diffirent list of movies, and the marketplace seems to push more for HD, while netflix pushes the speed of watching it. Would it sell 360's? No. Is it another great bullet point? Absolutly, and could be some peoples deciding factor. I have friends that dont stream anything from netflix because they want to watch it on their TV, and this lets them VERY easily (assuming it would let you use your Netfix account without extra fee's).

#6 jdconn01

jdconn01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:08 AM

biggrin.gif I think its great to know MS might finally develop on its XBL anywhere, I'm stationed in Korea right now but I come home in June. I hope something is going on with it before I get back.
GoW 2 will hopefully be more badass than the 1st, looking forward to hearing about it.

#7 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:27 PM

bleh no fact in that article article, why don't people just wait till the official keynote, do they want bigger Epenis or something?

#8 troyBORG

troyBORG

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(bucko @ Feb 20 2008, 09:03 AM) View Post

why don't people just wait till the official keynote?

When is the Keynote?

#9 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(troyBORG @ Feb 20 2008, 05:09 PM) View Post

When is the Keynote?

A new add-on for the alluded "ePenis" tongue.gif

#10 XanTium

XanTium

Xanta Powa!

• Admin
  • 3,110 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(troyBORG @ Feb 20 2008, 05:09 PM) View Post

When is the Keynote?

10:30am PT (today)

#11 Base8

Base8

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:21 PM

That netflix thing would rock, i would sign up for netflix if i could stream movies to my tv, especally in hd.

Is there any channel or anyone online that is broadcasting the keynote?

Edited by Base8, 20 February 2008 - 08:23 PM.

#12 88 Ecko Unltd 88

88 Ecko Unltd 88

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:42 AM

netflix need to boost sales epecially since amazon got apple and tivo merged up.. might as well go with microsoft and give us the ease of streaming movies to our tv's we deserve it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users