kimota2004

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

I've just recently bought a new monitor for the 360 (Samsung 2232BW) which I am using in VGA. Problem is the picture is terrible, I've been lead to believe this is a stunning monitor yet it looks a hundred times worse than my cheap 17". mad.gif

I know the problem is that I can't run the Sammy in it's native resolution, I didn't think this would be a problem but now I'm stuck with a 200 monitor that's a piece of junk!

Is there anything I can do to improve the blurry picture or am I screwed?

Thanks

#2 kimota2004

kimota2004

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

Right, after my initial devestation I found the picture isn't too bad if I'm sitting at a distance when it's set in the highest resolution from the dashboard.

I was wondering if I bought a HDMI > DVI cable would that improve the picture quality somewhat? If anyone has the same monitor and can share some tip's to get the best picture quality I would be grateful.

Thanks.

#3 SphtKr76

SphtKr76

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:38 PM

Have you tried setting the monitor to 1:1 pixel map mode? Assuming it has one of course, if it does then set it to 1360*768 and try it that way, if the picture looks nice and clean then you will know its the monitors scaler that is causing the poor image quality.

#4 kimota2004

kimota2004

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:22 AM

Hi, How would I go about setting a 1:1 Pixel ratio? There's a couple of options on the monitor which I'm not sure what they do, one is called RTA if that means anything?

Thanks

#5 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:49 AM

Try running in 1280x1024 widescreen.

#6 kimota2004

kimota2004

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:12 PM

OK thanks.

I've found that the monitor looks best in the dashboards hiest setting 1920 x 1080. After a LOT of tinkering with the picture, getting the contrast/brightness right it now looks kick ass. Even though it's not supporting native resolution it still looks quite incredible the colours and brightness just jumps out of the screen!

I have ordered a HDMI > DVI cable so hopefully I'll see further improvments.

To anybody who's read this and is now put off buying this monitor, DONT BE. I'm a spaz because I didn't have the monitor configured right, when it is it's quite mid blowing. I have altered my set up so I am sitting away form the monitor though as close up it's still no pin sharp, but you don't notice this from a few feet away.

Cheers!

#7 nosmoking586

nosmoking586

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:54 PM

@kimota : Can you tell me how have you configured ?

#8 kimota2004

kimota2004

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

Hi.

My settings on my sammy are (running with a HDMI > DVI-D cable):

Widescreen @ 1280 x 1024
Reference lvl: expanded
Manual contrast set @ 70
Manual brightness set @ 90
Sharpness 100
Colour: Red Green Blue all set to 90
Fine: 0
RTA: on

I sit about 6 feet from the screen and the picture I get with them setting f***ing mindblowing in all the games I've tried. smile.gif

#9 TheButler208

TheButler208

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:57 PM

Wow you've got your settings JACKED. Wonder how long the picture will look good with the contrast and brightness that high? geez. Your sitting 6 feet away from a 22 inch monitor? When I play on my 22 I sit about 3 feet back. 6 feet back on my 32 inch tv. My Samsung 22 inch looks fine at 1280 x 720, and only 3 -4 feet away. Play with the resolutions, some will look crappier than others, ESPECIALLY on VGA. But you said you got the HDMI which is good. But you need to recalibrate that monitor, I doubt you get very good white detail because your contrast is so high. And, a high brightness makes screens not last as long, not to mention does anything thats supposed to look black actually appear black?. 1280 x 720 is supposed to be the best match (it scales the most evenly, so jagged edges don't show up as much. Even though a lot of 360 games have AA off to keep frame rates up) to 1650x1080 if thats your native.

Check out CNET.com for a screen adjustment guide. Theres a way to properly calibrate the black and white levels. Raise the brightness all the way up and then come down until the blacks appear black. Then on the brightness you want to raise that all the way up, and lower it until you can see the details on something that is all white, for example a white shirt.

And with hdmi you shouldn't really need that much sharpness. I always have mine off.

Edited by TheButler208, 29 February 2008 - 05:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users