PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:38 AM

Bungie dev: 60-man Resistance 2 will be a 'challenge'
Posted by XanTium | 21-2-2008 21:38 EST

From videogamer.com:

The ambitious Resistance 2, touted by fans as Sony's Halo-killer, is scheduled for release on the PS3 exclusively some time in 2008. It will have an impressive eight-player campaign co-op and massive 60-player competitive modes which will focus on squad-versus-squad combat.

Speaking on the Bungie podcast, Timmins (multiplayer engineer on Halo 3) said: "Some of the stuff that Resistance is doing about trying to keep jacking up the number of guys in a game... I've played Resistance, and I'm a huge Battlefield 2 fan but I'm still interested in how do you keep that number of guys in a game and make it seem like you are actually playing together and not just running around in a chat room. It's real interesting and I wish them well but, yeah, it's a challenge."

Full Story: videogamer.com

#2 kidkinetix

kidkinetix

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:23 PM

In an interview with GameTrailers Insomniac has already mentioned that they planned to have squads with objectives, half similar to enemy territories I presume.... I'm sure it will turn out fine. If it doesn't? There are always the smaller maps smile.gif

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

We were talking about this while playing Rainbow Six Vegas online last week... waiting for a 16 man room to fill up contemplating how long it would take for a 60 man room to ever get underway in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't know how popular resistance is but the PDZ devs planned to expand the size of their online rooms once they worked a few bugs out of the net code but dropped it because no one was even playing games at the room limit... Despite the games crappy-ness it was actually REALLY popular online and actually had the most online play on the 360 until Gears came out according to the MGC Live Tracker.

the fact that I had to spend 2 weeks planning out a 16 person Rainbow Six game in order to make that happen is a good testament to the fact that while 60 player games might be a sweet idea, there aren't enough online console gamers to make something like that happen. I think even the Halo franchise would have a tough time pulling it off without throwing skill, language, and connection speed restrictions out the window.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 22 February 2008 - 07:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users