8 replies to this topic

#1 TheButler208

TheButler208

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

ok I'm very savvy with computers so I'm suprised I managed to do this. However, I did manage to destroy my xbox falcon by doing a super minor mod. I just put a roof over the gpu heatsync and replaced the thermal paste, heres where it went wrong. The X-clamps must have not been reattached very well, they are awful things. Its almost as if they were meant to be used once and not again. So I reattached them, thought it was ok, rebuilt the system. System turns on, but the bootup lights (the lights that dance around the circle) don't go around, and I get either error E79 or 3 red rings, or sometimes 4. My guess is that The heatsinks are not attached well at all, or I shorted something. (which I have never done, if you saw inside one of my pcs you'd see that I'm no noob to circuit boards.) whatever, if anyone has any input on E79 go ahead and type up a storm. I don't really care a whole lot, I got an arcade (Falcon of course).

My last falcon had a 203watt psu, this one has a 175, my guess is that it would be better to use the 203 wouldn't it? I mean its already their on the desk, higher wattage wouldn't ruin anything, what would you do?

I plan on disassembling the old premium and mounting some other cooling solution and see if that fixes what i forked up.

#2 Eddie_the_Hated

Eddie_the_Hated

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Modding... Duh.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

Erm... would I be a bad person if I started laughing right now?

#3 TheButler208

TheButler208

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(Eddie_the_Hated @ Feb 23 2008, 06:09 PM) View Post

Erm... would I be a bad person if I started laughing right now?

if you laugh with yourself in a room all on your own while you're looking at a computer screen....no? Dude, I'm scratching my head on this one. The motherboard looks perfect, as do the processors. I just wish i knew where the fault was.

#4 Eddie_the_Hated

Eddie_the_Hated

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Modding... Duh.
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:48 PM

Its almost as if they were meant to be used once and not again.

Yeah, that's because they were barely meant to work the first time! happy.gif

I'm totally at a loss for what could be up. My suggestion to you is to go run out, pick up some X-clamp replacement bolts and washers, and try that. Of course, that tends to be my universal suggestion for a lot of hardware failure on the 360, but it's better to be out 7$ in parts, and have a potentially working Xbox than 279.99 and a sexy looking paperweight.

#5 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:04 AM

The 3 red lights and E79, maybe, but 4 red lights wink.gif . 4 red lights means that your a/v cable is unplugged.

#6 Mhawk134

Mhawk134

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:32 AM

Um why did you mess with the new falcon mother board? It has improved heat sinks so there is no need. If you just bought it take it back and switch it out for a new one, if it's still under store warrenty. As for the power supply, I know that it doesn't matter if you put a 203 in a falcon cause i did for a long time, I do know that the 175 will not work in all previous versions because the plug is different.

Hawk

#7 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:15 AM

It's not under store warranty if you opened it up. Cracking that seal invalidates your warranty, period.

#8 xCAUSALITYx

xCAUSALITYx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:50 AM

I thought E79 was a hardrive error, try removing the hard drive and boot up without it.

If that does not work try this with the HDD connected, clear all installed game updates and console cache.

smile.gif

#9 DMageXBE

DMageXBE

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:44 AM

open it back up, tighten those little black screws as tight as you can. It may just be that the heatsinks aren't sitting properly, or tight enough. I was having weird problems when I rushed on the reassembly of one unit. I hadn't tightened all the screws evenly. Try it, at least it takes 2 minutes and its fwee! dry.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users