9 replies to this topic

#1 jameslayzell

jameslayzell

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:13 AM

Hi all.

My Xbox 360 died a few weeks ago with the normal red ring of death error code 0102.

I managed to get that sorted by replacing the xclamps with bolts and replacing the heat transfer paste. The xbox itself runs fine now - even slightly better that before.

The problem I've got is the DVD Drive. Before it was playing up slightly with a few games needing more that one try to get them to load. However, since the RROD problem the drive would only read DVD's and Xbox games as DVDs.

So, straight on ebay and bought myself a replacement lens. Fitted it and bang, nothing. Dead. Wouldn't read a thing. Put the old lens back in and the original problem came back. I tried tweaking the pots from 4.3 to 4.2,4.1,4.0....... 2.8 but to no avail.

I then decided that I must have purchased a faulty new lens so I got another. Same problem. Now it will either advise me that the disc is unplayable or Open Tray. I'm starting to pull my hair out now. Any suggestions?

Shall I just bite the bullet and get another drive - all I'll have to do is swap the logic boards, right?

Edited by jameslayzell, 24 February 2008 - 11:16 AM.

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:15 PM

Are you removing the Anti Static point on these new lasers before installing them? Tutorials on laser replacement are in my Sig.

#3 jameslayzell

jameslayzell

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Feb 24 2008, 03:51 PM) View Post

Are you removing the Anti Static point on these new lasers before installing them? Tutorials on laser replacement are in my Sig.

Yep, removed the solder.

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

Is this a Hitachi drive? If so the spindle motor in them gets gunked up and doesn't spin the disc properly and will cause issues. You can tell that's the issue by just spinning it with a finger, it should make a revolution or two on it's own after spinning it.

If you're getting a replacement drive to swap your old board into it'll need to be the same model drive, doesn't have to be the same version, but same model.

#5 shah87

shah87

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Feb 26 2008, 03:26 AM) View Post

If you're getting a replacement drive to swap your old board into it'll need to be the same model drive, doesn't have to be the same version, but same model.

hi i got the same disc read problem

does that mean that i can swap my old board from my hitachi drive 59dj to other hitachi drive 47dj? will there be any problem when connecting to LIVE?

#6 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(shah87 @ Feb 25 2008, 02:51 PM) View Post

hi i got the same disc read problem

does that mean that i can swap my old board from my hitachi drive 59dj to other hitachi drive 47dj? will there be any problem when connecting to LIVE?

Yes you can swap them and no problems with Live at all.

#7 shah87

shah87

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Feb 27 2008, 02:37 AM) View Post

Yes you can swap them and no problems with Live at all.

could you please read this link: http://forums.llamma...pic.php?t=12503

it says that i have to get the same firmware version driver if i want to swap the board, since my hitachi rom version is 59dj, i dont know what will happen if i swap the old board to the other driver with different rom version

#8 shah87

shah87

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

another thing, is it possible if i want to change my current driver lens HD63 to other model like HD67 or HD68?

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:13 PM

That thread is wrong, nothing at all will happen swapping over your v59 board to the v47 chassis. The chassis are identical anyway, as is the board when a get right down to it, they just have different FW versions on them is all.

Since you're swapping the Logic board from the old (original) drive over to the new one the thing can be any version, as long as it's the same model of drive, Hitachi to Hitachi, Samsung to Samsung. Since the FW chip is on the board, ergo the FW version stays the same, there is NO need for the replacement drive to be the exact same FW version. The only thing you have to even remotely consider is that if you have a Hitachi you need to have another Hitachi to replace yours when swapping the board like this, since a Hitachi board isn't going to work in a Samsung drive or vice-versa, but it doesn't have to be the same version of FW at all. Ignore steps 2 and 3 in that thread, because they're 100% wrong, and ya have exactly what I told ya before, which just also happens to be right. wink.gif

This kind of board swapping is only going to get ya a working drive again if 2 things are met as well..

1> The new (replacement) drive must be a know good drive

2> The board from your old (original) drive doesn't ave any issues of it's own, bad flash attempt, plugged it in wrong and fried it, etc., etc.

The HD63 or HD67 lasers are interchangeable, the HD68 is a good bit taller and I don't recommend it.

#10 shah87

shah87

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:27 PM

well then thanks for explaining it in details happy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users