• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 simulcra

simulcra

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:03 AM

OK guys... first things first... I am posting this here coz a lot of you guys have seen the inside of a 360 before and done the x-plate mod.. so you know a lot more than me.

I got the dreaded 3RROD in September and sent it off to be fixed by a well known store that will not be named for legal reasons. After it came back, it had been switched on about 15 times MAX! Since then and I got graphics glitches and crashes, before it eventually went to the RROD again.

I contacted the people involved and thay said it was out of the 90 day warranty and it was down to bad M$ design. Angry as I was, I said sod it!!! I will try the X-Clamp method and do it myself.

Upon opening the 360 via tutorials that I got from this site, I was shocked and stunned that there 8 screws missing from the xbox. The ones that should be on the X-Plate at the bottom of the xbox.

These pictures quite clearly show that they SHOULD be there.

IPB Image
IPB Image

So the question is.. what do these screws do. And do think they could be the cause of the overheating on the GPU. BTW the error code is 0110....

After opening the rest I took pictures of how they screwed the X-Plate back on, on the CPU.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I thoughts these had to be tightened EQUALLY??? One of them is just about hanging on 1 thread blink.gif

So the question is... has this been fixed to a professional standard, or is it shoddy work that has caused this to RROD again??? Do I have a case to chase them up over this.. it cost me 112 in all for this... AND they lost my XBOX for 3 weeks!!!! mad.gif

I respect your opinions... you lot seem to know what you are doing at least!!!

Sim

Edited by simulcra, 28 February 2008 - 12:04 AM.

#2 box_69

box_69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Interests:xbox and my truck
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:35 AM

thats what the top looks like stock if you could take your motherboard out and get a picture of the the bottom that would be extremely helpful wink.gif

#3 SimianEtza

SimianEtza

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:15 AM

From the looks of it they already replaced the X-clamps.

#4 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:21 AM

QUOTE(SimianEtza @ Feb 27 2008, 09:51 PM) View Post

From the looks of it they already replaced the X-clamps.

I don't think so, if those were M5 bolts, then there should be metal washers between the mobo and the heat sink. Most likely, they just heat gunned it and gave it back to you. If that's the case, I would do the x-clamp (that's what they're usually called) replacement.

#5 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:20 AM

The X-Clamps are on the bottom of the motherboard...and your system is broken because of the design of the console, not because of the people who "fixed" it, especially if it's been over 90 days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users