• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 selectdownup

selectdownup

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:24 AM

Now this is really simple and probably old and common sense, but its a thing I used before resorting to x clamps or pennies and all that stuff.

Check your GPU heatsink, if you can move it at all even a little bit, then thats the problem. Even if it seems like its snug on the chip it is not, you must make sure the screws at tight and the the heatsink is pushed down when you are putting the screws on. Put the screws on the clamps directly (don't put the screws on through the metal case)

I tested it when I turned on my xbox, pushing my heatsink off center even a few millmeters caused the fans to go crazy in a second and my xbox red ringed and shut off.

I left it alone for 10 minutes a few times and of course, red ring each time.

So I made sure the heatsink was on very tight so that it could not be moved and I was able to fix the problem, played for hours when before I could hardly get 10 minutes.

Try this before buying x clamps...

#2 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:24 AM

Ummm... all you did was create a gap in the heatsink contact and then you got the 2 Red Lights which is overheating.

This is terrible advice. Noone should mess with the heatsinks unless there is a problem or they are doing an xclamp replacement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users