• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 whiteboyshaun

whiteboyshaun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

hi i was trying to put an external drive into my xbox. the drive needed a usb cable and a usb power cable to run it. sense the back only has one usb port i ran the regular usb cable from the inside nto the back and i wired the power cable to the 5v source on the board. now when i plug in the xbox it wont power on and the power brick turns red. i dont know if the system is showing red rings of light because i modded the ring to be blue and it only lights up where the green would be. also if you unplug the power cable from the drive adaptor it will work fine. and once its started if you plug it in it works. i included a picture. thanks for any help
IPB Image

Edited by whiteboyshaun, 04 March 2008 - 07:05 PM.

#2 box_69

box_69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Interests:xbox and my truck
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:35 PM

if the brick turns red you have a short somewhere

#3 whiteboyshaun

whiteboyshaun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

how is this causing a short though because if you disconnect the end of what those 2 wires are going to it works fine. is there another point i should try and use?

#4 box_69

box_69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Interests:xbox and my truck
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

well first i dont understand because the usb has power so you shouldnt need to solder in the box you should just have to plug in both cables unless there is a molex cable and a usb cable

if thats the case i would use the power from the fan header thats in the little white box next to where you have the white wire soldered you can get the power for it off the bottom of the board at the fan header.

or you can go back to the psu plug and take power from there.

it would be helpful if you can take a picture of the stock plugs and the back of the drive your trying to hook up

#5 whiteboyshaun

whiteboyshaun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:47 PM

I think it may just be drawing too much power. the enclosure chip also has an led on it to show wehn its powered on and it keeps flickering on and off even when the system isnt turned on. it just always trys to turn it on. and it has 2 usb cables but the back of the sytem only has one.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#6 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

i dont quite get where youve soldered the wires to for the picture. it looks like the power is connected to the RF board, with the data connected to the fans...???

i would suggest not taking power away from the RF board as that will create problems. are you sure the drive only reqiures 5V to run? the power plug on it looks like it would lead to a 12v adaptor

if it does require 12V, then connecting it to a 5V source will just suck up that whole 5V and leave nothing for the RF board

Edited by scuba156, 05 March 2008 - 03:29 PM.

#7 whiteboyshaun

whiteboyshaun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

no the power was grounded to the rf piece with the positive on the 5v connection from the board. the data looks like its going to the fans but its actually going through the tiny hole in the case next to it and i had to cut the cable and solider it back together inside the case so that i could fit the wire through it. i thoguht usb only took 5 volts so thats why i figured that the boards 5v connection would be able to power the drives power cable. that power cable used to end with a usb connection it wasnt a wall adapter.

Edited by whiteboyshaun, 05 March 2008 - 03:51 PM.

#8 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

yes usb uses 5V, so it only needs 5V to run.

do both cables only have 2 wires in them? when you get the xbox to work, is the HDD accessable?

double check for any shorts, also try using the fan header for the 5V source

#9 whiteboyshaun

whiteboyshaun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:39 PM

no the second cable is a full usb cable for data transfer. if you unplug the power from the back of the drive then turn the xbox on it works fine and then you can plug it in the drive and it works and is fully accessable. am i able to just split the power from the fan header with the power cable because i really dont care if i mess the fan wire up the first time i have 4 of them.

#10 FILTHY J NASTY

FILTHY J NASTY

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Interests:Quads and cars! I used to love modding 360s, but when I got my new falcon I stopped =/ .
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(whiteboyshaun @ Mar 5 2008, 06:15 PM) View Post

no the second cable is a full usb cable for data transfer. if you unplug the power from the back of the drive then turn the xbox on it works fine and then you can plug it in the drive and it works and is fully accessable. am i able to just split the power from the fan header with the power cable because i really dont care if i mess the fan wire up the first time i have 4 of them.

Its not a good idea to take power away from the fan header. It is suggested not to take anything more than the fans. So I would suggest looking at the pined topics, there is a 5v source right in front of the cpu heat sink I believe.

Have you tried plugging one usb cable into the back and one into the front, just to see if everything is working ok?

Edited by FILTHY J NASTY, 05 March 2008 - 05:49 PM.

#11 whiteboyshaun

whiteboyshaun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:56 PM

yea if you plug it in throught he usb port it works fine. the 5v source im using is the one by the cpu heatsink there is one more but ive read in alot of places thats its unstable and can fry the motherboard and especially with how this is acting i dont want to risk that

#12 FILTHY J NASTY

FILTHY J NASTY

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Interests:Quads and cars! I used to love modding 360s, but when I got my new falcon I stopped =/ .
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(whiteboyshaun @ Mar 5 2008, 06:32 PM) View Post

yea if you plug it in throught he usb port it works fine. the 5v source im using is the one by the cpu heatsink there is one more but ive read in alot of places thats its unstable and can fry the motherboard and especially with how this is acting i dont want to risk that

Where is your wire grounded? May want to try grounding by soldering it to one of the ground points. Also you can solder the wire to one of the usb points, but you can't plug anything into it.

#13 whiteboyshaun

whiteboyshaun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(FILTHY J NASTY @ Mar 5 2008, 07:26 PM) View Post

Where is your wire grounded? May want to try grounding by soldering it to one of the ground points. Also you can solder the wire to one of the usb points, but you can't plug anything into it.

what would happen if i just soldered the wire to the back usb connection and then plugged in the data one on top of it? would it work?
i took the cover off of the back of the rear usb port and there are actually 5 pins. theres an extra one on the far left. do you know what this is for? i cant find my multimeter so i dont know if it has power going through it or not

Edited by whiteboyshaun, 05 March 2008 - 07:11 PM.

#14 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:10 PM

Im sorry but this pretty much sounds like you fried your mainboard when you caused the short...
Here is an explanation of the whole problem and a tutorial what you have to replace to get your 360 working again
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=533622

#15 whiteboyshaun

whiteboyshaun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

the board isnt fried because if i unplug the wire from the drive. the systems works fine with no issues at all. it only gives problems when its plugged in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users