• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 emyst56

emyst56

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 04:23 PM

Hi. I am the author of The Beginner's Guide to Xbox Modification found in the tutorials section of this site and many others. I need some help now.

I have several new games that won't work. I've read all about the media check of games signed after 2/03, and I've flashed the new Xecutor 4976.02 BIOS onto a buddy's X2lite. Before I did that, the games would begin to launch and then immediately reset. A tell-tale sign of media check failure. This was happening on games like Dead to Rights, The Hulk, X2: Wolverine's Revenge, and Enter the Matrix. After I wrote the new BIOS in, all of these games now sort of just freeze up after launch in various places. For instance, The Hulk freezes at the Loading... screen.

I am launching these games from the Evox games menu; in other words, they're loaded onto a big 120gig. Most of them are loaded with XBCopy, some with Px HDloader. Does anyone think it might be necessary to reload them? Will I have to HexEdit the games? It would be nice if this could be a fixed problem once and for all, as the new BIOS claims it to be. Has anyone else gotten one of the above-mentioned games to work vis-a-vis hard drive without patching it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Mystagogue

#2 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 June 2003 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (emyst56 @ Jun 11 2003, 01:23 PM)
Hi. I am the author of The Beginner's Guide to Xbox Modification found in the tutorials section of this site and many others. I need some help now.

I have several new games that won't work. I've read all about the media check of games signed after 2/03, and I've flashed the new Xecutor 4976.02 BIOS onto a buddy's X2lite. Before I did that, the games would begin to launch and then immediately reset. A tell-tale sign of media check failure. This was happening on games like Dead to Rights, The Hulk, X2: Wolverine's Revenge, and Enter the Matrix. After I wrote the new BIOS in, all of these games now sort of just freeze up after launch in various places. For instance, The Hulk freezes at the Loading... screen.

I am launching these games from the Evox games menu; in other words, they're loaded onto a big 120gig. Most of them are loaded with XBCopy, some with Px HDloader. Does anyone think it might be necessary to reload them? Will I have to HexEdit the games? It would be nice if this could be a fixed problem once and for all, as the new BIOS claims it to be. Has anyone else gotten one of the above-mentioned games to work vis-a-vis hard drive without patching it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Mystagogue

:::sigh::: OK, you have a LOT of updating to do, then.

Many newer games cannot run from the HD because of a DIFFERENT problem: Long File Names.

The FATX file system does not handle filenames longer than 42 characters. No commercial application can get around this limitation when running (No, Avalaunch's FATX3 extension cannot do anything for this situation).

These newer games have filenames that work fine on the DVD, but they are invalid names on the hard drive. The files will either fail to copy or have incorrect filenames once copied and the game will, at some point, fail.

The solution is for somebody to go into the game's files and change all references to the longer filenames to something shorter (legal on FATX) and rename those files. This is not trivial, and while there may be private tools to ease this job, it still requires a lot of work by hand.

Feel free to include this as a sidebar to your guide.

#3 trackfive

trackfive

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 June 2003 - 04:42 PM

That's really strange...I'm running the 4976.02 bios and I haven't had a single problem running the Hulk or Dead to Rights (nor do my friends) directly off the hard drive under EvoX...Enter the Matrix is different...because of the long file names...but the other two work no problems. Maybe your problem lies somwhere else?

#4 madthumbs

madthumbs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 07:11 PM

Enter The Matrix is working for me along with those others, but the files with the long names didn't make it to the HD.... they still play though. I think I'm missing captions or in game tips for the Matrix though.

Could it be possible that they can be transferred with shorter names, then converted back... or converted to a dos compatable name? I've seen work arounds for the Matrix btw... didn't use it though.

Edited by madthumbs, 11 June 2003 - 07:13 PM.

#5 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 June 2003 - 07:38 PM

Although ETM does have problems with long filenames, it will not prevent the game from booting.

Your problem is that you have EvoX's IGR enabled. Disable the IGR setting under MISC in EvoX's settings. You'll eliminate the bug, and you'll still be able to use IGR from games.

We appreciate that you've contributed a tutorial, but this has been addressed AD NAUSEAM - PLEASE do a search in the future.

#6 emyst56

emyst56

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:34 PM

I searched this forum and others ad nauseam and have found almost little mention of this problem or its solution. Ironically, I have seen more posts about how any given topic has already been addressed than posts that are actually of any help. Regardless, thanks for the update. I will look into patching the games.

#7 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (emyst56 @ Jun 11 2003, 05:34 PM)
I searched this forum and others ad nauseam and have found almost little mention of this problem or its solution.  Ironically, I have seen more posts about how any given topic has already been addressed than posts that are actually of any help.  Regardless, thanks for the update.  I will look into patching the games.

If you found little mention of EvoX's buggy IGR, you are either:
a) blind; or
2) checking the wrong forum.

Disabling IGR requires no patching of the game. Although both procedures may be required, they are separate.

UPDATE: I just searched the forums for "IGR" and found a solid 69 pages of results. That's "little mention" right? Results here.

Edited by Xeero, 11 June 2003 - 08:40 PM.

#8 emyst56

emyst56

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:20 PM

Don't have a hissy-fit. IGR has nothing to do with what I am trying to solve. I already have IGR disabled. The bug I was troubleshooting lied in the long file names. Also, searching for the solution to a problem you already know a solution to is easy. Of course you're going to find all kinds of discussion on a bug once you know what the bug is! Your two options in your response are telling of your troubleshooting skills: either I'm blind or I was searching the wrong forum... Hehe, it's okay, though. I don't need your reassurance. Ignorance and pretentiousness just bug me.

#9 BlackListedCard

BlackListedCard

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 11:49 PM

I have tried all three games mentioned. I have not experienced one problem related to freezing. Even when I reset, I still get back to the evox dashboard.

Not sure what your problem is.

#10 yowsr

yowsr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 03:23 AM

I'm assuming that this is the case with Moto GP2 as well? When I tried to copy using Hddloader or XCommander neither would recognize the disc, but it played just fine from the disc.

#11 Xustu

Xustu

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:24 AM

Not sure about the ignorance...

Your bug may have "lay" (http://dictionary.re...om/search?q=lay 3rd entry) but I'm pretty sure it could not have "lied" unless it was being dishonest to you.

Just having fun. Cheers.
xustu

#12 emyst56

emyst56

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:53 AM

Touché...

Anyone heard any word on a possible implementation of NTFS or an NTFS-like filing system for the box? (Besides the win95 style of indirection being implemented by Avalaunch). If that question has already been answered, just ignore this post and please forgive the lack of effort I have put into finding an answer.

Thanks

#13 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:59 AM

QUOTE (emyst56 @ Jun 11 2003, 06:20 PM)
Don't have a hissy-fit. IGR has nothing to do with what I am trying to solve. I already have IGR disabled. The bug I was troubleshooting lied in the long file names. Also, searching for the solution to a problem you already know a solution to is easy. Of course you're going to find all kinds of discussion on a bug once you know what the bug is! Your two options in your response are telling of your troubleshooting skills: either I'm blind or I was searching the wrong forum... Hehe, it's okay, though. I don't need your reassurance. Ignorance and pretentiousness just bug me.

Only Enter the Matrix has a long filename issue; the other games are fine. I'm sorry your ignorance bugs you. That must be a tough cross to bear.

Double-check your IGR settings. My gut tells me that you disabled ONE IGR setting, but not the right one. The IGR under MISC is the buggy one.

#14 bb07

bb07

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 05:00 AM

I quess M$ figured out a way to slow you guys down
But hopefuly ,not stop

#15 Xustu

Xustu

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 05:13 AM

huh.gif ??? Slow who down? M$ has nothing to do with one person's copying problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users