#1 9nine9

9nine9

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:04 AM

I know this has probley been asked already but the search doesn't seem to work. Can you use the HD-DVD addon to play other disc's besides HD-DVDs? For example games and DVD's with WMV & WMA files on them. My DVD drive seems to be having trouble all of a sudden playing my DVD+R DL movies. Saying they are un-readable about 50% of the time. Games seem to work fine. I am just wondering that since the HD-DVD drives are only $50 now if this would be a cheap fix? Thanks in advance.

Edited by 9nine9, 07 March 2008 - 06:06 AM.

#2 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

Nope its just for movies..

You can try a pot tweak on your drive... a laser replacement or a drive replacement.

Also what media do you use?

BTW: You can buy a replacement drive or laser for cheaper than $50..

Edited by Havok, 07 March 2008 - 07:24 AM.

#3 9nine9

9nine9

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

How much and were can I buy a new drive? arn't the drives matched to the 360's Hard drive or motherboard some how?? Or can you just pop the thing open and slap in a new drive???

#4 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:15 PM

the drive is paired with the motherboard, but the key can be extracted and flashed to a new dvd drive.

lasers and new drives can be found on ebay, or in the B/S/T section

#5 9nine9

9nine9

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

So what about my original question thought? can the HD-DVD drive play Othere Disc's like DVD's with WMV files on them??

#6 9nine9

9nine9

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:35 AM

Well I got my answer and it is NO!! The HD-DVD drive will only play HD-DVD's and DVD's not games and not DATA disk's .

SO I have another question. I am looking on e-bay at relpacment Drives. I have a Hitachi-LG drive but I notice all the listings on e-bay have ROM versions. does the Rom version matter or can I use any Rome version. I would be doing a straight PCB board replcment so I don't have to mess with the key. So should I be able to buy any Hitachi-LG DVD drive?

#7 sabbath_dude

sabbath_dude

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Rock music, Beer
  • Xbox Version:v1.6c
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(9nine9 @ Mar 7 2008, 05:40 AM) View Post

My DVD drive seems to be having trouble all of a sudden playing my DVD+R DL movies.
Are these HD movies you've converted and burnt yourself?. If yes then maybe the problem is just the media you are using and not the drive. Seems odd it would only affect dvds with films on them and not the games as well.

Also why not just replace the laser instead of buying a whole new drive?. Seems a waste to buy a completely new drive just to switch out the PCB.

#8 the_massakre

the_massakre

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Mar 8 2008, 04:40 PM) View Post

Are these HD movies you've converted and burnt yourself?. If yes then maybe the problem is just the media you are using and not the drive. Seems odd it would only affect dvds with films on them and not the games as well.

Also why not just replace the laser instead of buying a whole new drive?. Seems a waste to buy a completely new drive just to switch out the PCB.

that is much better advice, changing the laser is super easy and i got a brand new laser the other day for $14 shipped

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users