• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 diztraught

diztraught

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:25 AM

ok so My 360 has been acting up forever had 3 red lights a million times. I've done the towel trick a few times they went away and came back..

I've just done the X clamp replacement and everytime its turned on now it blinks 3 red lights for 5 seconds then blinks 2 red lights. just auto overheats. I had some shotty thermal paste laying around the garage that i used could that be the problem?? I've tried loosining and re-tightening the bolts but no luck.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by diztraught, 09 March 2008 - 01:27 AM.

#2 JayWebby07

JayWebby07

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:53 AM

The same happend to me

when i turned my 360 on

It's 3 lights but then afew seconds later straight to 2...

It is supose to heat up in 2 - 3 mins? then you let it stand

Mine dusn't heat up

Just straight to 2 lights!!!

Help?

#3 diztraught

diztraught

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE(JayWebby07 @ Mar 9 2008, 02:29 AM) View Post

The same happend to me

when i turned my 360 on

It's 3 lights but then afew seconds later straight to 2...

It is supose to heat up in 2 - 3 mins? then you let it stand

Mine dusn't heat up

Just straight to 2 lights!!!

Help?

yeah i dont think its gonna work.. probably gonna have to buy a new console.. damit.

#4 ncrules23

ncrules23

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE(diztraught @ Mar 8 2008, 07:01 PM) View Post

ok so My 360 has been acting up forever had 3 red lights a million times. I've done the towel trick a few times they went away and came back..

I've just done the X clamp replacement and everytime its turned on now it blinks 3 red lights for 5 seconds then blinks 2 red lights. just auto overheats. I had some shotty thermal paste laying around the garage that i used could that be the problem?? I've tried loosining and re-tightening the bolts but no luck.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

get some as5 and the arctic silver cleaners and do it the right way, that's probably why it's overheating

#5 ausmods

ausmods

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Interests:Electrical engineering, computers, gaming, motorbikes, mountain biking
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:57 AM

Take the heatsinks back off and have a look at the thermal paste. If the paste looks like its uneven or anything, it could be because the heatsink isnt sitting on either of the chips properly, causing the 360 to overheat, and give you the 2 red lights.

Make absolutley sure both heatsinks are sitting perfectly flat on both chips. This will hopefully fix the 2 red lights.

#6 diztraught

diztraught

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:19 AM

well when i 1st pulled the heatsinks off.. there was little to none i mean almost bare thermal paste on there.. barely even residue on the chip and heatsinks.

the board was bent down when i installed everything.. i took it out put some penny's under the chips and now the board is perfectly flat in the case and the heatsinks are flat on the chip but still same thing happens.

#7 Raven 666

Raven 666

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:12 AM

I removed the CPU and GPU, cleaned everything using the Arctic products, applied some new paste and removed them Microsuck clamps and did the X-Clamp fix. Heated up the console for around 2min (Showed 2ROD). Switched it off and left it to cool down for around 15min. Turned it back on and has been working fine for around 5-6 months now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users