3 replies to this topic

#1 jrtf83

jrtf83

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

Hey all,
I modded my xbox a few years back thanks to the great resources found on this board. Now i'm madly in love with the ability to play SO many different games from the hdd, i just wonder how long it'll last before my baby breaks.

Have any of you thought about this, and/or taken steps to ensure your boxes will last a few decades? hehe biggrin.gif

As always, thanks in advance for all your input! beerchug.gif

#2 kirky1991

kirky1991

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:44 AM

The xboxs are generaly reliable, You have just gotta be careful of the HD as they like to go Kapute! Also, the MCPX chip gets hot and soemtimes dies, and then the cd drive laser but they dont last forever on everything!!

#3 jimbobjim

jimbobjim

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Sniffing farts under the covers.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:34 AM

laugh.gif Yeah I've thought about it loads. The first thing that usually goes is the DVD rom, luckily I don't use mine anymore so it should last forever. Next to die will most likely be the hdd but don't worry, a good one should last a long time (10 years maybe) Lastly the motherboard will die. It's not not yet known what the general life expectancy is because most are still going strong at 5+ years old. Some consoles will inevitabley die in a different order but this is how most will go imo.

I want to still have a working modded xbox when I'm an old man so I've got a load of spare parts stashed away for rainy days. Full systems can be picked up for really cheap now, but get em while you still can as they'll soon be considered "retro" and the price will rise.

#4 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:41 PM

Well, I guess im going to expose myself as the xbox nut that I am, but ya, im covered.

Ive got every peice of software backed up on two hd's in the pc (250GB each). Meaning every xbmp, xbmc, dvd2xbox, bla bla releases. Its fun to go back and see where xbmc came from. Its really daunting.

Ive got 6 xboxes (all with sammys) , 3 backup dvd (sammys), 2 LG8164B's, every peice of software is backed up on disk, every box has a vantec stealth and other cooling mods, each mcpx has a heatsink, every heatsink has AS5, you name it.

Also 5 of my family members have boxes modded that I got for them for birthdays and Christmas over the years and almost all of them have my backup data hidden in a folder called rescue (for 1.6's eeprom and such).

I can safely say I wont ever be without xbmc or Nintendo smile.gif

*oh and you really dont have anything much to worry about as far as life expectancy. 4 of mine are from 2002-2003 and the only thing that made one of them hiccup was a 3 year old and a lightning strike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users