16 replies to this topic

#1 KAC

KAC

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:07 PM

I've made some 640x480 JPEG's that I named MXM_GH01.jpg, MXM_GH02.jpg, etc. that I have placed in my f://games//Brute Force folder. When I am on the MXM screen with Brute Force selected and the video is selected, I hit the black button and get a "no help available" or something like that (I'm at work right now so I don't remember the error exactly) but the point is that it didn't work. I tried resetting the menu cache but it did not help. I'm using X2's 4976.02, MXM v0.9m, and the Generator V2 skin. Is there something in the menu.xml that I need to add or change????

#2 ray12944

ray12944

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 10:04 PM

Welll I also had a little trouble with Jpegs, i dont know why, maybe because of the compression.
anyways, try using PNG format and that will probably help

I tried with PNG BMP Wmv JPG and PNG gave me the best result,

Hope it helps beerchug.gif

#3 SoLoBoX

SoLoBoX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:I Do X2lite/pro INSTALLS IN THE BAY AREA, CA

Posted 11 June 2003 - 10:13 PM

This may sound wierd but is the JPG extension lower case? I had it lower case and it would read. I changed it like so: " .JPG " and it would perfect. If that doesn't help reset menu cache then reboot, or use the different file types mentioned above.

#4 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 June 2003 - 10:17 PM

I just dropped a bunch into an app directory and they worked fine - no need to reset the menu cache.

#5 sticky

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (KAC @ Jun 11 2003, 10:07 PM)
I've made some 640x480 JPEG's that I named MXM_GH01.jpg, MXM_GH02.jpg, etc. that I have placed in my f://games//Brute Force folder. When I am on the MXM screen with Brute Force selected and the video is selected, I hit the black button and get a "no help available" or something like that (I'm at work right now so I don't remember the error exactly) but the point is that it didn't work. I tried resetting the menu cache but it did not help. I'm using X2's 4976.02, MXM v0.9m, and the Generator V2 skin. Is there something in the menu.xml that I need to add or change????

I'm having the exact same issue(s) KAC...but I was beat last nite and didn't try endlessly...I did give it 4 or 5 trys w/no luck.

I'll post something if I figure out what *my* issue is/was.

#6 Whatup1049

Whatup1049

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 08:13 PM

I downloaded some off the FTP server and put them in there respective game folders. I try hitting hte black button but says its not available?! BTW these are PNG files with teh correct file names!!!!!! WTF is wrong ?! Do they have to be in a subfolder or something? Do they go IN the games dir or outside of it?

HEEEEELPPPPP sad.gif

#7 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Whatup1049 @ Jun 20 2003, 05:13 PM)
I downloaded some off the FTP server and put them in there respective game folders. I try hitting hte black button but says its not available?! BTW these are PNG files with teh correct file names!!!!!! WTF is wrong ?! Do they have to be in a subfolder or something? Do they go IN the games dir or outside of it?

HEEEEELPPPPP sad.gif

Do a "Reset Menu Cache" to activate them on the next boot up.

That SHOULD do the trick.

#8 Whatup1049

Whatup1049

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 08:37 PM

You said previously

I just dropped a bunch into an app directory and they worked fine - no need to reset the menu cache.

I tried it and still won't work.

Is it a xml code like
CODE

<help>F:GAMESGAMENAMEMXM_GH01.PNG</help>

???????? blink.gif

beerchug.gif

#9 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 08:56 PM

Here are entries in one of my items, auto-added by MXM:

CODE

<helpscr_01>E:\DEVKIT\APPS\MXM\MXM_GH01.jpg</helpscr_01>
<helpscr_02>E:\DEVKIT\APPS\MXM\MXM_GH02.jpg</helpscr_02>
<helpscr_03>E:\DEVKIT\APPS\MXM\MXM_GH03.jpg</helpscr_03>
<helpscr_04>E:\DEVKIT\APPS\MXM\MXM_GH04.jpg</helpscr_04>
<helpscr_05>E:\DEVKIT\APPS\MXM\MXM_GH05.jpg</helpscr_05>

#10 oswald

oswald

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:kicking ass and taking names in the BST forum
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 June 2003 - 08:59 PM

'just works' for me (the help screens) however, the 'help not available' screen does appear briefly sometimes before displaying the actual help file, usually only does this a couple of times per game, or in between the last and the first help image.

#11 Whatup1049

Whatup1049

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 09:09 PM

Ben in future MXM releases you should have MXM automatically query the games dir for the appopriate files instead having to add all this code in. It would make it a lot easier smile.gif

#12 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Whatup1049 @ Jun 20 2003, 06:09 PM)
Ben in future MXM releases you should have MXM automatically query the games dir for the appopriate files instead having to add all this code in. It would make it a lot easier smile.gif

But it does do that... I never manually entered the game help screens... I'm not sure what's going on, but I'll try and take another look.

If nothing else, I can have it check to look for the files if there are no entries when you press the help button.

#13 oswald

oswald

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 09:13 PM

Whatup1049 ... the current version does query the game folders for all this, you just also have the option to specify it if you want. It's actually a very common misconception of MXM, it looks complicated, but only if you want it to be. I find it scales to the users ability very nicely. If you want it to autoconfig everyting, then just drop the default.xbe and a skin folder in to a directory, if you want to customize till the early hours of the morning, then specify to your hearts content.

#14 Whatup1049

Whatup1049

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 09:21 PM

Ya but how do you get movies and correct game names etc if you autodir?

#15 oswald

oswald

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 09:58 PM

I think you start with the readme wink.gif

Simply name the movie MXM_SS.wmv and put it in the game folder, MXM will auto add it!

As for correct names, either rename your XBE's using XBE renamer or make a MXM_Entry.xml file in each game dir. You can't expect MXM to predict what you want the name to be.

Edited by oswald, 20 June 2003 - 09:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users