Bannedfromlive

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:39 AM

The xbox 360 price cut in uk is awesome, I have seen xbox 360 arcades selling for as little as 139.99 check out the prices Shopto.net.

Surley this means defeat for the ps3? I mean why the hell would you buy a ps3 now just for blu ray? In a few months blu ray players will be cheaper and the xbox 360 will have a load more exclusives gears of war 2 etc..

My 2 cents.

#2 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:52 AM

The prices are cheap but it won't stop the sale of PS3. It may actually get PS3 owners to invest in a 360 as well, if they haven't already.
defeat for the PS3

In what terms? the 360 is already way ahead in sales figures but it will never cause Sony to cease selling the PS3.
People always seem to view this as some sort of race to see who can sell the most consoles. If that were important then the 360 will be "defeated" by the Wii. The important thing is that all the consoles sell well enough to achieve targets. This keeps all the others working hard on content and prices to the benefit of the consumer (Us). Imagine if there was only one console. The maker of that could dictate the market and do what they want. Not a good scenario.
I believe that attaining reliability of build was more important than bargain basement prices and I hope the cuts have not come at the expense of better quality components and manufacture

#3 Bannedfromlive

Bannedfromlive

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

Yeah im with you on that one I have had two xbox 360's fail on me. Luckily the 3 penny trick kept 1 alive the other was toast.

The 360's build quality and design thus far has been shocking but things are improving slowly. My new 360 seems fine latest mobo and hdmi seems to run very cool time will tell on that one though.

By death of the ps3 I meant slowing sales again, Really the thing thats putting people of is the lack of a killer game but the new gran turismo will interest people personally I cant wait for gears of war 2 on 360

#4 8800gtscool

8800gtscool

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:04 PM

No offense the 360 will not "Over Take" the PS3. The 360 is now known as 3shitty to most of my friends. No I am not saying the 360 is bad but the hardware is crap. I would know I have about 8 right now 4 "Falcons" that I were problem free sleep.gif . Now I love the 360, and games and online is awesome smile.gif, but the hardware is crap.

Edited by 8800gtscool, 19 March 2008 - 11:04 PM.

#5 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:07 PM

the hardware isnt crap, the build quality of it is, which will all change soon. just because some of your friends call it the '3shitty' doesnt mean it will fail. its not all about having the most console sales

#6 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

No offense the 360 will not "Over Take" the PS3.

Have you looked at worldwide sales figures at the moment uhh.gif
360 is way in front in total sales. PS3 is playing catch up. The 360 is already in front.

#7 Bannedfromlive

Bannedfromlive

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, Chancer is right. At the moment the 360 is ahead in hardware sales but the ps3 has sold more head to head in the past 2 months, overall the 360 has sold a lot more.

What im saying with this price cut the 360 is very affordable for everybody (tesco sell em for 120) now it offers great games and hi def video content via streaming and downloads etc.

So from that standpoint might be able to steal the lead from the ps3 again...

The hardware isnt crap its just of a poor build/design quality things have improved.. It says a lot about something though when people are prepared to re buy something even though it keeps breaking...

Edited by Bannedfromlive, 20 March 2008 - 02:49 PM.

#8 ongbakbak

ongbakbak

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

does anyone know if this price drop wii occur in the U.S.?

#9 tuckeratlarge

tuckeratlarge

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

I'm sorry but I can't see that price is the deciding factor in the purchase of a games console. You buy a games console on the strength of it's features and games.

Surely you wouldn't go to the store with the intention of getting a PS3 and think "hang on, that 360 is cheaper, guess I'll buy that instead"

I went out and purchased a 360 because I wanted a 360 (kids wanted a Wii but they were nowhere to be seen so it made my argument for the 360 stronger, one to me :-), the PS3 was more expensive for sure, but it never crossed my mind about getting one. I am now on the verge of getting a PS3 purely for the Blu-Ray player in it. I will not bother getting any games for it, that's what the 360 is for. If stand alone players were cheaper and supported 2.0 then that's what I would buy.

#10 DeMoN_DARREN

DeMoN_DARREN

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(tuckeratlarge @ Mar 22 2008, 02:49 PM) View Post

I'm sorry but I can't see that price is the deciding factor in the purchase of a games console. You buy a games console on the strength of it's features and games.

Surely you wouldn't go to the store with the intention of getting a PS3 and think "hang on, that 360 is cheaper, guess I'll buy that instead"

You think money is no object in a commercial market?? If i went to the store wanting an xbox 360 and found PS3 half the price i would get that. You have to weight it out and price is a huge part of that

#11 FCTE

FCTE

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(DeMoN_DARREN @ Mar 23 2008, 02:05 PM) View Post

You think money is no object in a commercial market?? If i went to the store wanting an xbox 360 and found PS3 half the price i would get that. You have to weight it out and price is a huge part of that

Features still matter a great deal and have an effect on price comparisons. For instance, If I really wanted a 360 and also wanted HD movies in Blu-ray and had to buy both a 360 and a Blu-ray player it totals out to around $600 at least for both units, or you could just buy the PS3 for $400 and have both games and HDMs, even though that $400 PS3 is at least $50 more expensive than the 360 Pro it's still a better buy.

If you don't care about Halo and Gears and want Blu-ray movies the PS3 is the better option.

It all depends on the individual. Blu-ray will definitely help the PS3 a long, even at a higher price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users