• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

8bitjoystick's Xbox Insider: Supply Problems and 60GB HDD
Posted by XanTium | March 17 13:09 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From 8bitjoystick.com:

The internal distribution of reports in the xbox unit has been severely restricted since I started posting in Feb. That was predictable. There have also been emails from top management about "serious" concerns regarding leaks. So information has become a little harder to come by.

But not impossible. I've been told that the supply constraints are due to supply chain issues regarding the quality of ODDs (optical disc drive) and GPUs (graphics chips). It didn't help that no one in China works for 2 weeks during CNY (Chinese New Year).

And it's confirmed 100% that the HD (hard drive) is moving to 60g standard. Those configurations are in design verification testing right now. I'd bet that this changeover also contributed to the lack of units. When MS changes major sub-assemblies like this, they try not to over produce the old configurations.

So this is a case of poor planning, supply chain and quality issues restricting production. Not demand out stripping capacity (supply).

Full Story: 8bitjoystick.com

#2 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:26 PM

I've been told that the supply constraints are due to supply chain issues regarding the quality of ODDs (optical disc drive)

I wonder if that means they are going to replace all their BenQ drives with Hitachi 79 or some other newer yet released drive?

Edited by Ranger72, 17 March 2008 - 08:26 PM.

#3 eduardor2k

eduardor2k

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Mar 17 2008, 09:02 PM) View Post

I wonder if that means they are going to replace all their BenQ drives with Hitachi 79 or some other newer yet released drive?

Maybe they're putting Hd-dvd drives inside, since you can buy them almost for free... tongue.gif

#4 MaulerX

MaulerX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

This, and the fact that Blu-ray won the format war..... all of a sudden those PS3 sales are not that impresive.

#5 Mr Invader

Mr Invader

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:54 PM

I've been told that the supply constraints are due to supply chain issues regarding the quality of ODDs (optical disc drive) and GPUs (graphics chips).

Maybe this means less hardware failure too.

#6 xess

xess

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(Mr Invader @ Mar 17 2008, 10:30 PM) View Post

Maybe this means less hardware failure too.

I'm not holding my breath wink.gif

#7 Bubbalynch

Bubbalynch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Gaming Consoles, PC's, Electronics, Music, Movies, Sports ect.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:17 AM

I don't care if the failures are fixed and never return. They burned me once, and theres a point to be made.

You screw your customer (at least this one), then you loose your customer. sleep.gif

#8 irnchriz

irnchriz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:14 AM

"So this is a case of poor planning, supply chain and quality issues restricting production. Not demand out stripping capacity (supply)."

A pointless comment. Microsoft has never stated that the problems were due to stock being sold out.

#9 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:06 AM

QUOTE(Bubbalynch @ Mar 18 2008, 10:53 AM) View Post

I don't care if the failures are fixed and never return. They burned me once, and theres a point to be made.

You screw your customer (at least this one), then you loose your customer. sleep.gif

you really seem to have a problem with MS. if your console died, get MS to replace it. it you opened it and voided the warranty, then it is your own problem. it you dont want to take the risk then dont mod, and dont complain when that happpens. every post ive read from you in the past month is just you complaining that your console dies and that you now hate MS because of it

#10 jdanefellows

jdanefellows

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:09 AM

Hmmm my box broke...i called them i sent the box in they sent it back and everything was up in running in less than a month..i would rather have never had my box broke but thats not allways an option things break...atleast they fixed it...i know most of my friends who had the origonal ps2 break...it wasnt replaced or fixed. Just a thought

#11 Slag Bag

Slag Bag

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:33 AM

That article is a crock of crap with cabbage. The reality of it is that MS overloaded retailers for the Xmas season. They gave discounts for "fronting" Vista, just like Sony does with its Tvs. Due to the overloading retailers DID NOT place new orders until that inventory was gone, which in alot of cases isn't gone yet. MS basically dumped their overproduced crap Arcade bundle during this time to get rid of them as well.

#12 Neilor

Neilor

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:50 AM

Just a quick conspiracy theory that sprung to mind... any chance the shortages could be related to the much rumored at the time, 360 with in-built HD-DVD, that possibly got canned as MS were winding down the standard DVD supply line ??

#13 dokworm

dokworm

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE(scuba156 @ Mar 18 2008, 04:42 AM) View Post

you really seem to have a problem with MS. if your console died, get MS to replace it. it you opened it and voided the warranty, then it is your own problem. it you dont want to take the risk then dont mod, and dont complain when that happpens. every post ive read from you in the past month is just you complaining that your console dies and that you now hate MS because of it

There are a whole bunch of us whose consoles died *before* MS extended the warranty, so we opened them up to try and repair them because MS wouldn't.

Then later they offer to extend the warranty, but not if you opened the case. It sucks balls, it should have been a product recall, not a warranty extension, or they should have acted sooner. there are thousands of people who never would have opened their 360 if they had any other option.

Hopefully the PS3 will start killing sales and the 360 will get cheap enough to just buy a replacement.

#14 Bubbalynch

Bubbalynch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Gaming Consoles, PC's, Electronics, Music, Movies, Sports ect.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE(scuba156 @ Mar 18 2008, 04:42 AM) View Post

And?

I knew the risk, and would risk it again. Modding is a hobby I love and will continue to do.

This isn't a case of I modded it and screwed it up. My hard feelings are from the fact that they sold a faulty product knowingly and I feel cheated out of $400.00 bucks. Had this happend 4 or 5 years down the road, sure I'd buy another one. But that isn't the case here is it?

I modded mine BEFORE the knowledge came to be that the 360's were defective. Get your facts straight. And lets just pretend for a moment that I didn't void the warenty, and it still died on me. I suppose having MS replace the system every 6 months to a year is exceptable to you...

I love your logic.

And about my posts... I guess your just gonna have to get over that now aren't you?

Edited by Bubbalynch, 19 March 2008 - 04:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users