PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:35 AM

Square Enix is Betting on PS3
Posted by XanTium | 17-3-2008 23:35 EST

From gameplayer.com.au:

So despite a host of multi-format and even Xbox 360 and Wii exclusive releases, it would appear that Square Enix is betting on the PS3. Its new internal engine will, throughout this generation, be used to release their biggest games, starting with Final Fantasy XIII, on that console. And even when the Crystal Tools engine becomes functional across multiple formats, we can expect everything bar the PS3 version to be but watered down ports.

To take this argument through to its natural conclusion: if Square Enix is the messiah of RPGs and they're betting on PS3, then Sony's machine should ultimately be considered the console of choice for the genre's fans.

Full Story: gameplayer.com.au (3 pages)

#2 PerfectGun

PerfectGun

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:26 AM

"To take this argument through to its natural conclusion: if Square Enix is the messiah of RPGs and they're betting on PS3, then Sony's machine should ultimately be considered the console of choice for the genre's fans."

Maybe Square was the "messiah" of RPG's but this gen has changed the game with Western RPG's doing much better than JRPG's. One can argue that FFXIII will change that but I'm sorry if you want RPG's now then your console of choice should be the 360. It has proven itself so far this gen with many of it's high scoring RPG's. You got the original FF creators with MistWalker now and they are doing 360 RPG's, which btw Lost Odyssey is a great game.

I find the timing of this statement funny since MS has been pushing it's "The Best RPG's are on the 360" campaign as of late.

Enjoy your sales being exclusive to the PS3 Square and if you want to dump crappy ports to the other system's enjoy your studio's reputation going into the toilet.

#3 irnchriz

irnchriz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

Quite risky for any company to choose only one format. I suppose they can continue to release shovelware on the DS to pick up the slack in sales.

Also, doesn't Sony own quite a large stake in Square/Enix ?

#4 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

This could really go one of two ways

1. Square and the Final Fantasy series manages to capture the same amazing drawing power that they had with Final Fantasy VII and people buy a PS3 just to play that game, in which case the PS3 as the platform of choice becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

or

2. Square overestimates the draw of the Final Fantasy franchise and the power of the alternative options available this generation. FFXIII does well for a PS3 game but ultimately the PS3's install base isn't large enough for them to turn a profit on such a large project and from there they either go cross-platform or they get bought out.

An interesting fact about final fantasy... out of all the factors in the world there are 2 things that every "winning" console had in common
1. they were the first console to sell over 10 Million units worldwide
2. they had the final fantasy franchise exclusively

considering the Xbox 360 already met the first rule, and the PS3 will be meeting the 2nd, we'll see which one holds more weight I guess.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 18 March 2008 - 12:33 PM.

#5 eldritch2k4

eldritch2k4

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Mar 18 2008, 06:57 AM) View Post

An interesting fact about final fantasy... out of all the factors in the world there are 2 things that every "winning" console had in common
1. they were the first console to sell over 10 Million units worldwide
2. they had the final fantasy franchise exclusively

considering the Xbox 360 already met the first rule, and the PS3 will be meeting the 2nd, we'll see which one holds more weight I guess.

As I understand it, the PS3 made that number in a shorter amount of time than the 360. Given the year and a half jump that MS had on Sony, it would make sense that they got the mark first, but the PS3 got there fastest.

#6 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(eldritch2k4 @ Mar 18 2008, 09:26 AM) View Post

As I understand it, the PS3 made that number in a shorter amount of time than the 360. Given the year and a half jump that MS had on Sony, it would make sense that they got the mark first, but the PS3 got there fastest.

It doesn't matter who got there fastest in relation to their release date, other consoles in the past have reached that point faster than the winning console (IIRC the N64 did), but all of them released later.

By that metric the Wii reached that point "faster" than the other two combined...

Edited by twistedsymphony, 18 March 2008 - 09:35 PM.

#7 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:49 PM

FF XIII will be the game that makes me buy a ps3, but only if its really good, im not holding my hopes high after that garbage that was XII.

#8 Kramer987

Kramer987

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:i love to mod :)

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Mar 19 2008, 01:25 AM) View Post

FF XIII will be the game that makes me buy a ps3, but only if its really good, im not holding my hopes high after that garbage that was XII.

i dunno i rather liked XII

#9 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:41 AM

Don't overlook the fact that Square Enix still has a game that's coming out for the 360. The name escapes me (something with 'Infinite' in the title, iirc), but there's a video for it on the marketplace.

Outside of that, this is more of an announcement that'll psych up someone who already owns a PS3, or already planning on purchasing one, as there's already a handful of RPGs on the 360 and only a couple on the PS3 thus far (though once things get cranking, that can change). Realistically, any hardcore RPG fan should own both systems, as is always the rule.

#10 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:02 AM

I just wish Square would remake FF XIII....I would go out and buy a ps3 right now if they did

#11 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderator
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE(Kramer987 @ Mar 19 2008, 02:38 AM) View Post

i dunno i rather liked XII

the lack of a proper turn based battle system just killed it totally, thats what FF is all about.

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Mar 19 2008, 07:17 AM) View Post

Don't overlook the fact that Square Enix still has a game that's coming out for the 360. The name escapes me (something with 'Infinite' in the title, iirc), but there's a video for it on the marketplace.

Infinite undiscovery, and it's only being published by SE.

#12 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Mar 20 2008, 10:39 PM) View Post

the lack of a proper turn based battle system just killed it totally, thats what FF is all about.
Infinite undiscovery, and it's only being published by SE.

Aww, that dissapointing...

#13 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderator
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Mar 21 2008, 05:43 AM) View Post

Aww, that dissapointing...

if you are referring to infinite undiscovery, then its being developed by tr-ace, (Star ocean, Valkyrie Profile) so don't worry smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users