• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#31 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

After pulling some panels and taking some measurements last night I ordered up some speakers and a Kenwood GPS/DVD unit

I looked at the Pioneer stuff but all of their Double Din units used Disc based GPS, which I hate. the Kenwood uses built in Garmin GPS with all of the maps stored on the hardware biggrin.gif I also got a sweet deal on a brand new one ($600 us Shipped)... so you'll see some work from me yet.

I still need to sell my other car though so I can start working in my garage again laugh.gif

#32 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Apr 24 2008, 05:55 PM) View Post

well they are all owned by GM and ya wouldnt put saab badges on it would ya? laugh.gif

just me being picky, i have a unique taste with cars and i don't like seeing cars badged up as something they are not.

hey at least it's not chav as fook with a big TURBO badge on the back of a N/A car laugh.gif

its a nice grill though, cant ya get a de-badged one or are you not into de-badging?

laugh.gif no i deffinatly wouldn't put saab badges on it, but the thing is both Opel and Vauxhall are basically the same company, both of them make the exactlly same car, just one says Opel, the other for the UK and northen ireland says Vauxhall, else where in the world, identically the same car just with Opel badges.

If saab made Astras exactlly the same, i'd expect some people to ride round with saab badges on them, though the thoughts of it do seem quite horrible indeed.

Lol yeah i'm not into the chavvy stuff, when i do drop the Z20LET in i was considering keeping the badges on it to say its only a 1.8 laugh.gif should deffinatly be good for a laugh when people pull up along side and think its something its not, bring on the SRi-T!!

Yeah mate i'm into de-badging deffinatly, ive looked at alot of grills and i think this is the best looking one out of all ive seen (and the most expensive for that matter, not that this comes into it) i just thought the opel badge is nice, and rare to see in the UK, and i love the honey comb mesh and the styling to it. Its got a kind of standard look, but when you look properly its far different, i thought it would give a nice look to the front end happy.gif

I'm going to give it abit more thought before i order one, i'm really not sure which direction to go with it to be honest, though i do love the look of that grill.

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 24 2008, 06:16 PM) View Post

After pulling some panels and taking some measurements last night I ordered up some speakers and a Kenwood GPS/DVD unit

I looked at the Pioneer stuff but all of their Double Din units used Disc based GPS, which I hate. the Kenwood uses built in Garmin GPS with all of the maps stored on the hardware biggrin.gif I also got a sweet deal on a brand new one ($600 us Shipped)... so you'll see some work from me yet.

I still need to sell my other car though so I can start working in my garage again laugh.gif

Sounds good mate, looking forward to seeing some pictutres of your stuff biggrin.gif

Kenwood is a good brand, so hopefully it'll be a nice bit of kit youve got coming, sounds like it should be nice.

In all honesty, my unit uses disk based GPS, but so far i'm very happy with it, i don't know how you go about updating the hardware stored maps on your unit, but on mine you can just buy the latest disk, let it update and away you go.

Obviously if you didn't have the CD-changer on my unit, i can see it being a real problem, and at this point i'd hate disk based GPS, for the simple reason it'd go into its 'basic GPS mode' if you were to remove the CD and insert a different disk!

I'm guessing your unit probably won't have the need for a hide away unit either? that would be a big bonus to start with, the wiring in my car is unreal at the moment, if you remove the side panels, theres so much wiring that didn't use to be there, routing wires under seats from front to the back of the car isn't the best fun ive had, neither is drilling holes and fitting rubber gromits in the bulk head either to be honest laugh.gif

What car do you have in the garage TS? i remember that Subaru you used to have, i always thought that looked like a great car!

#33 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(Dano2k0 @ Apr 24 2008, 08:55 PM) View Post

Lol yeah i'm not into the chavvy stuff, when i do drop the Z20LET in i was considering keeping the badges on it to say its only a 1.8 laugh.gif should deffinatly be good for a laugh when people pull up along side and think its something its not, bring on the SRi-T!!

that's what i'm talking about, i love sleepers biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Dano2k0 @ Apr 24 2008, 08:55 PM) View Post

What car do you have in the garage TS? i remember that Subaru you used to have, i always thought that looked like a great car!

yeah you still got that 2nd sx TS, i thought you were giving that to me?

Edited by grim_d, 24 April 2008 - 11:31 PM.

#34 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE(Dano2k0 @ Apr 24 2008, 03:55 PM) View Post

I sold the WRX, I ran out of performance mods to do (short of an STi drive train swap), I always hated the bug-eye 4 door look, and I wanted something sleeker and RWD... hence the 240sx

and now I have two 240SXs laugh.gif

it's a long story and if you're actually interested you can read about it here: http://forums.xbox-s...o...95996&st=76

I've also got pictures of all my cars, past and present here: http://solid-orange.com/cars

except my very first car, though I know I have a couple physical photos somewhere that I'll have to hunt down and scan in.

#35 dpbmt

dpbmt

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:03 AM

Love the merc mate, proper gangster. Shame you never put an AMG kit on it, they look wicked wit that on.

#36 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Apr 24 2008, 11:59 PM) View Post

that's what i'm talking about, i love sleepers biggrin.gif
yeah you still got that 2nd sx TS, i thought you were giving that to me?

Yeah mate, sleepers for the way, its always good fun for someone to think your car is alot less powerfull than it is, theres deffinatly some good time to be had in the hopefully not too far away future laugh.gif

Oh and mate, hes giving me that car remember? we agreed if i bought him a pint i could have it, i just need to get around to signing the log book laugh.gif

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 25 2008, 01:04 AM) View Post

I sold the WRX, I ran out of performance mods to do (short of an STi drive train swap), I always hated the bug-eye 4 door look, and I wanted something sleeker and RWD... hence the 240sx

and now I have two 240SXs laugh.gif

it's a long story and if you're actually interested you can read about it here: http://forums.xbox-s...o...95996&st=76

I've also got pictures of all my cars, past and present here: http://solid-orange.com/cars

except my very first car, though I know I have a couple physical photos somewhere that I'll have to hunt down and scan in.

I always thought the WRX looked quite smart mate, though i do agree the bug eye type aren't my favourite, it was still a nice car none the less, oh and mine is a 5 door car, quite rare really to find a 5 door SRi, i know the normal 'sports hatch' doesn't have 5 doors, but mine is one of a few and i quite like it, excellent for those in the back, saves me getting in and out laugh.gif

I remember having read quite abit now about your hunt for the 240SX, i'll havw to catch up on the last couple of pages or something, but deffinatly looking forward to seeing what you have in store for your car smile.gif

Also its nice to see youve kept some pics of all your cars, not so many people do that, and its always nice to look back.

QUOTE(dpbmt @ Apr 25 2008, 01:39 AM) View Post

Love the merc mate, proper gangster. Shame you never put an AMG kit on it, they look wicked wit that on.

uhh.gif

Have you replied to the wrong topic? if not please step back to page 1 and take another look laugh.gif

#37 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE(Dano2k0 @ Apr 25 2008, 06:14 PM) View Post

Oh and mate, hes giving me that car remember? we agreed if i bought him a pint i could have it, i just need to get around to signing the log book laugh.gif

well that's not fair, you just got a new car and i'm stuck with an old beaten up sunny...

sad.gif

QUOTE(Dano2k0 @ Apr 25 2008, 06:14 PM) View Post

Have you replied to the wrong topic? if not please step back to page 1 and take another look laugh.gif

i do beleive he's referring to TS's 300e.

#38 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Apr 25 2008, 06:22 PM) View Post

well that's not fair, you just got a new car and i'm stuck with an old beaten up sunny...

sad.gif
i do beleive he's referring to TS's 300e.

Lol, all for the price of a pint! When i get it from him, you can have that reliant robin i told you about if you want? We can drop a 2.5 V6 in the back and make it RWD, the ultimate sleeper haha. laugh.gif

Ah that explains alot now ive had a look and seen the 300e, it really confused me when he said that before, i thought he'd been posting in the wrong thread or was seeing things lol.

Edited by Dano2k0, 25 April 2008 - 06:39 PM.

#39 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(Dano2k0 @ Apr 25 2008, 07:13 PM) View Post

Lol, all for the price of a pint! When i get it from him, you can have that reliant robin i told you about if you want? We can drop a 2.5 V6 in the back and make it RWD, the ultimate sleeper haha. laugh.gif

how bouts we drop a hayabusa turbo in the back of it muhaha.gif

#40 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Apr 25 2008, 07:41 PM) View Post

how bouts we drop a hayabusa turbo in the back of it muhaha.gif

Deal lol, wheelies for the way down santa pod!! laugh.gif

Honestly, if i'd got the money to spare, i'd love to do a seriously quick 'plastic pig' it would be amazing to make one for straight lines, can you imagine doing some crappy mods to make it stand out, so many people would go for the run with it, it would be amazing to blow everyone off, i can imagine the first few in your area, they wouldn't know what the hell had just happened.

Now doubt, handling would be totally crap, but how quick would straight line dragging be haha, damn i wish i could spare the cash and build something stupid. jester.gif

#41 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE(Dano2k0 @ Apr 25 2008, 11:56 PM) View Post

Deal lol, wheelies for the way down santa pod!! laugh.gif

Honestly, if i'd got the money to spare, i'd love to do a seriously quick 'plastic pig' it would be amazing to make one for straight lines, can you imagine doing some crappy mods to make it stand out, so many people would go for the run with it, it would be amazing to blow everyone off, i can imagine the first few in your area, they wouldn't know what the hell had just happened.

Now doubt, handling would be totally crap, but how quick would straight line dragging be haha, damn i wish i could spare the cash and build something stupid. jester.gif

take a look at this lol

the proper pictures start on page 5.

http://www.nissangti...o...=14848&PN=1

Edited by grim_d, 26 April 2008 - 12:51 AM.

#42 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:43 AM

I've seen a few cool rear engine in the hatch conversions here in the states before, both were VW Golfs (not sure if they call them that in europe)

while it looks cool and the idea of RWD in a squirrelly little car is cool... it's really not cool because you're basically sitting in the engine bay. That bastard starts leaking and you've got hot fluids on you, not to mention you have to listen to it and it's like running a heater 24/7

... no thanks

#43 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 26 2008, 04:19 AM) View Post

I've seen a few cool rear engine in the hatch conversions here in the states before, both were VW Golfs (not sure if they call them that in europe)

while it looks cool and the idea of RWD in a squirrelly little car is cool... it's really not cool because you're basically sitting in the engine bay. That bastard starts leaking and you've got hot fluids on you, not to mention you have to listen to it and it's like running a heater 24/7

... no thanks

it would be easy enough to put in a firewall to eliminate the problems but i reckon 99% of people who do these conversions (here anyway) use them for track only, i would imagine getting them through their SVA test would be a nightmare.

ya get some crazy hatchbacks here like twin engined ones and minis with massive engines in them so much so you have to move the dash back and sit on the back seats laugh.gif

#44 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Apr 26 2008, 01:26 AM) View Post

take a look at this lol

the proper pictures start on page 5.

http://www.nissangti...o...=14848&PN=1

Lol thats unreal, i bet thats going to be extreme once its finished. Got to surely be used on track, now that would be funny, some of the fast expensive cars on track getting blown off by this, they'd not know whats happened.

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 26 2008, 04:19 AM) View Post

... no thanks

Yeah we have VW Golfs over here too, theres quite alot of them knocking around actually, some of them are alright too.

What could be worse is like a flying piston or bits or rod or something firing straight at you, lol now thats a scary thought if youve got it reving pretty high, doing high speeds under load.

As Grim has said below though, quite alot of people do tend to put a firewall in the back and sometimes some plexi aswell, so it'll keep alot of the noise down, and of course give you much more protection than you just sitting in there with the engine.

Some of the cars we have over here are amazing with their engine conversions, like the saxo with 2.0 honda vtec engine in the back running huge BHP, i'd love to have a drive of one of those happy.gif

QUOTE(grim_d @ Apr 26 2008, 04:16 PM) View Post

it would be easy enough to put in a firewall to eliminate the problems but i reckon 99% of people who do these conversions (here anyway) use them for track only, i would imagine getting them through their SVA test would be a nightmare.

ya get some crazy hatchbacks here like twin engined ones and minis with massive engines in them so much so you have to move the dash back and sit on the back seats laugh.gif

Yeah i agree, a huge ammount of people that have done such conversions have only really done them for track use, i know some of them are road legal though, so i bet there are some fun times to be had in some of those cars.

Ive seen a few minis with big engines in too, one ive seen done a few times is the honda vtec 1.6 in the mini tuned up they can run alot of power for such a small, light car. Wouldn't you just love to take one of those for a drive though?

I'd love a really fast track day car, maybe in the future i'll eventually get myself something really fast for track use happy.gif

#45 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(Dano2k0 @ Apr 29 2008, 05:34 PM) View Post

Lol thats unreal, i bet thats going to be extreme once its finished. Got to surely be used on track, now that would be funny, some of the fast expensive cars on track getting blown off by this, they'd not know whats happened.

normal tuned pulsar would obliterate alot of the fast and expensive cars around these days so that thing will be crackers, love those little rockets laugh.gif

QUOTE(Dano2k0 @ Apr 29 2008, 05:34 PM) View Post

Ive seen a few minis with big engines in too, one ive seen done a few times is the honda vtec 1.6 in the mini tuned up they can run alot of power for such a small, light car. Wouldn't you just love to take one of those for a drive though?

theres a mini local to me with a 1.8 vtec lump in it, things fuckin mental, spits flames and eats most other cars.

would be a handful in the wet though huh.gif

Edited by grim_d, 29 April 2008 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users