• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:52 AM

LucasArts: Most games don't take advantage of next-gen hardware
Posted by XanTium | March 19 23:52 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From mcvuk.com:

US developer LucasArts has said that whilst many studios are pushing the visual envelope, few are genuinely taking advantage of the power offered by the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Speaking to CVG, a spokesperson for LucasArts stated: "To put it simply, Fracture is one of the few games that really takes advantage of all of the processing power of the new consoles.
"While a lot of games are pushing the limits of what can be done visually in games, we also wanted to push gameplay to levels that literally could not be done on the previous generation of hardware."

Full Story: mcvuk.com

#2 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:32 AM

PR propaganda.

LucasArts particle physics system does look amazing, though.

#3 tumn

tumn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:48 AM

Cannot wait for The Force Unleashed!

#4 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:13 AM

Yes, it's a shameless plug. Unfortunately, it's somewhat true (that some companies are slacking). Still, there's plenty of games I'm very happy with over the past year.

#5 Base8

Base8

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:14 AM

Hmm.. well i assume you can do it right Lucas Arts... no they are bad ass though.. <3 star wars

#6 Devedander

Devedander

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:31 AM

Interestingly I believe Magic Carpet (PC, Saturn, ?) allowed you to morph the terrain in real time.

From the trailer of Fracture, I would say it looks impressive, but more gimicky than a real gameplay revolution... for the most part the terrain shaping seems too clunky to be used dynamically as more than just a big grenade effect and somewhat ploddingly as clunky way to toss puzzle elements into the game. Hope I am wrong but that's how it looks to me.

#7 xjustsumloserx

xjustsumloserx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:45 AM

This happens with every system. We don't see the true potential of a system until its last 2 years at most. Remember with the SNES having Mario RPG, Yoshi Island and hell star ocean. Compare the last year xbox1 games to its first run of games. This is nothing new.

#8 cory1492

cory1492

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:09 AM

A game that lets you blast away the terrain would definitely put to shame some of these "omg you gotta play this" games where you can't jump, are hemmed in by invisible fences a ways away from anything in the actual environment, and feature things like freestanding wooden boxes that act like they are made of some indestructible alloy when shot.

edit:/ like to also mention, because of the learning curve, the push to get a product to market, and the ever changing hardware - I don't think we will ever actually see what the consoles AND the developers are actually capable of... just little glimpses here and there.

Edited by cory1492, 20 March 2008 - 08:10 AM.

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

Most games (a Lot of games) look and play great. The technicalities of how much advantage they take is not on my mind if immersed in an excellent looking game with a great storyline.

#10 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Visually, I don't think that any of the next gen consoles truly live up to the hype that was built for them. As pointed out though it usually takes a while before they really start pushing the limits of the system.

#11 m_hael

m_hael

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:09 PM

oh what fun could be had were i not held over by NDA sad.gif

#12 MrBucket101

MrBucket101

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:49 PM

ya know, they said the same thing with gears of War...it was supposed to be the one game to take advantage of everything the 360 had to offer...and look what we got, a game in which host shotgun ruined
...i call it PR

#13 DeMoN_DARREN

DeMoN_DARREN

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

Shit Lucas, keep it down! Valve claimed they were using 90%+ of the power of Xbox 360 in the Orange Box last year!! Oh my, who to believe!? Companies wouldn't lie would they?? uhh.gif

#14 m_hael

m_hael

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

I've attempted to give some real world perspective on this in the past... i'll try again.

consider the ENTIRE 360 resources to be $100

feed a family of 6 for a week with it....

spending the entire $100 is a relatively easy thing to do given that we're all very used to the easy approach, they'd eat ramen noodles and cereal for the week

now consider that SAME $100... but with the buying power of a small mom n pop store ... they'd get more for their money and likely be able to feed the family chicken and fries.

again.. now consider say a "meijer" store doing the same thing... they'd be better still and likely feed the family some nice fish and maybe steak.

take it one step further... Walmart would be able to feed each family member a Fillet Mignon meal with a nice wine and dessert for the entire week and still have enough left over for a small plastic toy.

my point is... the amount you "take advantage" of any given resource is entirely subjective and in the case where there are infinite possible avenues to take the discussion is also futile.

#15 HughDaHand

HughDaHand

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

It could be kinda scarry if my 360 used 100% of its power. I'm kind of afraid that the thing might melt. There is allready so much heat pumping out of it.

I think M$ would shaking in there boots if such a game was released. There service department would get like 5 million dead box's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users