xtreme995

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

Well i didn't want to void my warranty but wanted to keep my xbox cool so this is how i do it. Just a few pics to help people get ideas, that are in the same position.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
i have two 80mm 3 speed antec fans pushing air in, and a hacked up intercooler ex pulling air out. All of which run off of their own 12 volt 1300ma power source that i bought from wal-mart for $15.
My xbox stays very cool, i don't have any temps, but i can tell you that after several hours of play its not even warm to the touch. cool.gif
and yes i know the wiring is sloppy but i'll fix that later just haven't had the time

Edited by xtreme995, 20 March 2008 - 07:58 PM.

#2 SlickWilly440

SlickWilly440

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

Nice job, looks really cool!

I see that the fans are connected to each other with zip ties, but how are the two fans connected to the side grill of the console?

Also, if one takes two fans and tie the two positive wires together and the two ground wires together and connect them to a 12 volt ac adapter, will the fans run at full speed or only half speed each?

Also how would one calculate the number of fans one can connect to a single ac adapter without running into any problems. Does the total amps have to be less than the total amps the adapter supports?

Thanks for the help in advance. I might actually do this to my console because it wouldn't require any soldering or cutting of the case.

Also, if one used an AC adapter with an adjustable voltage switch, the fan's speed could be manually adjusted?

Edited by SlickWilly440, 20 March 2008 - 08:15 PM.

#3 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

id put a dust guard on them.

#4 xtreme995

xtreme995

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(SlickWilly440 @ Mar 20 2008, 03:45 PM) View Post

Nice job, looks really cool!

I see that the fans are connected to each other with zip ties, but how are the two fans connected to the side grill of the console?

Also, if one takes two fans and tie the two positive wires together and the two ground wires together and connect them to a 12 volt ac adapter, will the fans run at full speed or only half speed each?

Also how would one calculate the number of fans one can connect to a single ac adapter without running into any problems. Does the total amps have to be less than the total amps the adapter supports?

Thanks for the help in advance. I might actually do this to my console because it wouldn't require any soldering or cutting of the case.

Also, if one used an AC adapter with an adjustable voltage switch, the fan's speed could be manually adjusted?

thanks man, 1st i used 3m two sided tape, the fact that you didn't notice it makes me happy i tried to make it unnoticeable and it makes a real nice seal around the fans. 2nd with these particular fans they are 3 speed selectable so if you wire them to 12v they still are adjustable via a switch (notice the little black wire with plastic box attached to it right above the fusible link) i bought the fans just as they are from office depot. 3rd the fan package should tell you how many ma the fan requires, i think its usually around 300ma for those size fans, and it also says it on the back of the intercooler before you cut it up. I think its 500ma.
I just bought a cheap power supply from walmart it has 5 or 6 different voltage selections plus its also a usb power supply biggrin.gif

QUOTE(grim_d @ Mar 20 2008, 03:47 PM) View Post

id put a dust guard on them.

yeah that has been a concern of mine i just haven't found anything suitable yet, as far a restricting the air flow.

#5 box_69

box_69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Interests:xbox and my truck
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

well its better than another guys mod where he duct taped them to the side but im not a big fan of this mod

if your not gonna break the seal then at least take off the grey grill on the bottom so that its not as restrictive

#6 xtreme995

xtreme995

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE(box_69 @ Mar 20 2008, 04:12 PM) View Post

well its better than another guys mod where he duct taped them to the side but im not a big fan of this mod

if your not gonna break the seal then at least take off the grey grill on the bottom so that its not as restrictive

there's really no need to, they move plenty of air like they are, i can turn the intercooler off and the xbox, and still feel alot of air coming out of all sides of the xbox. but big fan of it or not, it works for me thanks for the reply. smile.gif

#7 SlickWilly440

SlickWilly440

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE(xtreme995 @ Mar 20 2008, 02:32 PM) View Post

My xbox stays very cool, i don't have any temps, but i can tell you that after several hours of play its not even warm to the touch. cool.gif

What about the air coming out of the Intercooler? Is it noticeably cooler than before?

#8 xtreme995

xtreme995

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:50 PM

oh yeah, alot cooler. I've felt the entire xbox allover and the case dosen't get warm anywhere but under where the gpu sits. But it just barely gets warm enough to feel it through the case

#9 lumpkin

lumpkin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE(xtreme995 @ Mar 20 2008, 01:26 PM) View Post

oh yeah, alot cooler. I've felt the entire xbox allover and the case dosen't get warm anywhere but under where the gpu sits. But it just barely gets warm enough to feel it through the case

I like your mod also. It suits me as I dont want to break the warranty. However when you are talking about a 'power supply' that you bought, what do you mean? You mean like a computer power supply or some other kind of thingamabob?

#10 SlickWilly440

SlickWilly440

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE(lumpkin @ Mar 20 2008, 08:23 PM) View Post

I like your mod also. It suits me as I dont want to break the warranty. However when you are talking about a 'power supply' that you bought, what do you mean? You mean like a computer power supply or some other kind of thingamabob?

He is talking about a Universal Power Adapter that works for any small DC appliances that have a DC socket in them.

#11 xtreme995

xtreme995

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:05 AM

yeah he's right universal power adapter here is a link. this is exactly what i have but you could use just about any ac to dc power adapter that puts out 12v or whatever voltage you need.

wait a minute i got to lookin mine is the 1300ma version, still the same thing

Edited by xtreme995, 21 March 2008 - 04:20 AM.

#12 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:03 AM

Ahh, good old antec tri-speeds smile.gif . I've used a couple myself between my original xbox and my pc. Very quiet, even when they're on high, and they move quite a bit of air.

#13 Raven 666

Raven 666

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

Good way to keep things cool if you don't want to Void your warranty. I voided my warranty a long time ago and I still don't have that much cooling lol Nice job tongue.gif

#14 xtreme995

xtreme995

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(Raven 666 @ Mar 21 2008, 05:11 AM) View Post

Good way to keep things cool if you don't want to Void your warranty. I voided my warranty a long time ago and I still don't have that much cooling lol Nice job tongue.gif

thanks man it seems to do a pretty good job of cooling my xbox but like grim said dust is still my only concern that and cleaning up the wiring a bit

#15 xtreme995

xtreme995

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

does anybody have any ideas on what i could use for a dust screen?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users