• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:32 AM

Microsoft in GTA IV Panic?
Posted by XanTium | March 20 23:32 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gameplayer.com.au:

It's not that simple: it's not even a question of which is the better console as it certainly looks like the Xbox 360 version will be the superior buy. It's because a large proportion of GTA's fans aren't traditional gamers. They're casual gamers who couldn't resist the style, flair and gameplay offered by Rockstar and added a GTA to their library of Need for Speed, SingStar and FIFA. And as such, millions of GTA fans are not up to speed on the console war thing. They don't care which format has the best games, offers the superior online service, or has the more proficient hardware. They see GTA, and they think PlayStation.

We heard something the other day, a line of dialogue that must scare Microsoft to death. It came from the mouth of a twenty something electrician as he installed a car stereo for a mate. He said "I bought my PS3 to play GTA IV".

That wasn't the comment of a fanboy, or an educated decision by a gaming enthusiast who had weighed up all the pros and cons of the two systems: it was simply all he knew. There was a GTA coming out, so he went and bought a PlayStation. Microsoft is desperate to change that mentality, but what started as a broad plan has seemingly deteriorated into panic.

Full Story: gameplayer.com.au (3 pages)

#2 rezonat0r

rezonat0r

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:22 AM

So one person says "I bought my PS3 to play GTA IV" and MS is in a "panic". Sounds pretty sensationalist to me.

MS is doing fine and I think the success of the 360 (excluding hardware issues) thus far has had Sony in a "panic" more than once.

#3 Deihmos

Deihmos

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE(rezonat0r @ Mar 21 2008, 01:58 AM) View Post

So one person says "I bought my PS3 to play GTA IV" and MS is in a "panic". Sounds pretty sensationalist to me.

MS is doing fine and I think the success of the 360 (excluding hardware issues) thus far has had Sony in a "panic" more than once.

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't understand how this ended up on a front page.

#4 PerfectGun

PerfectGun

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:26 AM

Where in this story points to MS in a panic? It sounds like a made up assumption. Wow, he has 1 person he heard buying GTA IV for the PS3. I know many former PS2 owners that have moved to 360 because all their friends have and they are all getting it for the 360. Maybe Sony is in a panic?

MS has been orchestrating the GTAIV release since last year when it was supposed to come out until the PS3 and Sony rolled in and screwed that all up( http://www.afterdawn...chive/12709.cfm ). MS paid 50mil because they knew this would be a big release and that it has been primarily a Playstation franchise but just like MGS was a Nintendo franchise and now is identified with Playstation, MS is attempting to do the same.

#5 andi_06

andi_06

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:47 AM

No offence, but as a frequent user who likes to read the articles and forum posts, lately the content is to be blunt, crap.

I want to read 'real' news about the xbox and its hardware and so on, not stories that a 12yr old can write and are full of biased opinions without truth or facts.

Edited by andi_06, 21 March 2008 - 06:48 AM.

#6 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:52 AM

...most proficient hardware...

Proficient \Pro*fi"cient\, n. [L. proficiens, -entis, p. pr. of
proficere to go forward, make progress; pro forward + facere
to make. See Fact, and cf. Profit, (?)]
One who has made considerable advances in any business, art,
science, or branch of learning; an expert; an adept; as,
proficient in a trade; a proficient in mathematics, music,
etc.
[1913 Webster]

#7 scottmuller28

scottmuller28

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:01 AM

There is no real news as nothing new has happened lately. M$ have not made any new changes to the console to hardware and the hacking scene is either hitting brickwalls or just keeping quiet. The firmware mods seem to have satisfied a lot of people. No company is panicking as they are doing just fine....

#8 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE(rezonat0r @ Mar 21 2008, 01:58 AM) View Post

Maybe if you RTFA instead of just the summary you would get it, the fact that the link says the article is 3 PAGES should have tipped you off that this is more than just an account of something this guy overheard... it's explained quite well and I tend to agree with his points.

#9 Hiram

Hiram

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:51 AM

I read through all 3 pages of the source article and I have to say - his conclusions are weak. He makes jumps in reasoning without backing it up with hard statistics. This *IS* news....from the rumor mill.

#10 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE(Hiram @ Mar 21 2008, 03:27 AM) View Post

I read through all 3 pages of the source article and I have to say - his conclusions are weak. He makes jumps in reasoning without backing it up with hard statistics. This *IS* news....from the rumor mill.

It's not news, and it's not rumor and it never claimed to be either... it's speculation based on marketing tactics.

you can get all of this right from the title of the article... which ends in a "?"

He speculates that GTAIV will be one of the most important titles in deciding the console war winner... then he shows things MS has done to try to ensure that GTAIV swings in their favor, and then theorizes why it might not work.

I guess I don't see what's wrong with this article, nor what's wrong with XS linking to it. It's pretty well written and doesn't try to pretend to be something it's not (though everyone else seems to be doing a good job of taking it the wrong way).

it's certainly better than the rumors/"news" based off of a single out of context sentence that someone heard that some exec said at some conference and then reads into it way too deeply. this is blatantly an opinion piece and displays itself as such.

#11 Hiram

Hiram

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Mar 21 2008, 02:44 AM) View Post

I guess I don't see what's wrong with this article

Simple. It's lame.

#12 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:39 AM

Uh that guy probably don't know what a 360 is lol. Oh well his loss on the exclusive content.

#13 Metsada

Metsada

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

hmmm, still I agree that MS should act a little bit harder and use this release to get more momentum over sony.

First they should lower there prices now (in the USA that is). Second, they should start a new marketing campaign where the focus lies on GTA4. Third, they should make a bundle with GTA4 for 300 dollars (premium). Maybe even a bundle with the arcade version.

You will sell you xbox360 guaranteed for months.

#14 jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:33 PM

Looks like Xbox-Scene is in "Panic" for good news. biggrin.gif

#15 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:42 PM

obviously this isnt a problem in the uk, on all the games websites, the pre-order charts have GTA IV for the 360 right at the top, then a few steps down for the PS3.

In fact, for fear of sounding like a fanboy, this is always the case with a x-plat games here, in the pre-order and top sellers charts the 360 version is always higher than the ps3.

Obviously this may be due to installed fan base, but that surely means that they have nothing to worry about.

And personally, i hear GTA, i think Rockstar, but hey, thats just me.

Of course everything is rumour and speculation, and i guess we will find out on april 29th smile.gif

Edited by grim_d, 21 March 2008 - 01:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users