13 replies to this topic

#1 blazoman64

blazoman64

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:49 AM

Hey guys i was just wondering if i could get a list of all the cooling mods i could do to my 360 without breaking the warranty.

Thanks! biggrin.gif cool.gif

#2 qweewqaz

qweewqaz

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:xbox, world domination
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

Err adding fans everywhere?

#3 gutterball

gutterball

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

Here's what I attempted and pretty easy with no case mods at all. You will need:

USB cable: length depends on how you run your cable, but mine was cut down to about 3 feet.
3 computer fans. Not sure what the amps mean, does higher mean spin faster? Size, whatever is the most common or what you have lying around.
Something to strip wires. I used an Xacto.
Electrical tape.
Something to secure the fans to the Xbox. Zip ties or double sided tape should work.

I cut the a 6 foot USB extension in half keeping the MALE end, stripped the shielding to reveal 4 wires red, black, white and green (your colours may vary). I cut down the white and green wires because you only need red and black. I took 3 old 12V computer case fans I had lying around and basically connected them red to red and black to black to the USB extension. Taped up the exposed wires. Don't need the yellow wire if your fan has one. I plugged it into my old computer first to make sure there wasn't a short. Fans came on, albeit rather weak, they still moved a decent amount of air. 12V fans run slow at 5V smile.gif

Anyway, I placed 1 fan on the grill in front of the hard drive and the other 2 on the opposite side, more towards the front of the Xbox. All fans blowing in secured with some 3M double sided tape. I plugged the USB cable into the back of the Xbox and they came on, even though the Xbox was off. Bummer, not what I had in mind, but this might work.

So I tested this ghetto setup and after an hour of NHL08, it was too hard to tell if the temps came down. I'll need a temperature gun to confirm. The "bonus" is, after I shutdown the Xbox, the fans continued to blow air into the case! I'm thinking that SHOULD help cool it down. But the fans will never shut off unless I unplug the USB cable. Might need a switch or a timer or something, but I'm not that technically inclined. Unless leaving the fans on for long periods of time won't do damage to the Xbox. I've been leaving my Xbox on at the dashboard for about 5 minutes and then leaving the USB fans connected for about 5 minutes after shutdown. I think the longest I left them on is an hour cause I forgot about them.

I might even try this with 5V fans to see if they move more air.

#4 icedrift

icedrift

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

Got no warranty?? Try this

#5 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(qweewqaz @ Mar 22 2008, 04:58 AM) View Post

Err adding fans everywhere?

laugh.gif Nice. Try sticking the hole 360 in this.

#6 blazoman64

blazoman64

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:40 PM

I think i will do gutterballs idea but my 3 fans are 70mm so i will just use 2 and they are 12v so i will wire them up to and external power supply.
Do you thunk it is a good idea to add fans to the bottom to blow air in the case and these ones at the back sucking it out.

#7 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

gutterball, leaving the fans on while the 360 is off will not damage the console at all. i have some modded fans in a 360 stand that i leave running 24/7, whether the 360 is on or off.

blazoman. yes that is a good idea, the bottom grill takes the most amount of air into the console than anywhere else. just make sure all fans blow into the console. i would not bother with adding fans on the back of the console, as if there not aligned with the internal ones, its just going to disrupt the air flow

#8 SlickWilly440

SlickWilly440

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(scuba156 @ Mar 22 2008, 05:38 PM) View Post

blazoman. yes that is a good idea, the bottom grill takes the most amount of air into the console than anywhere else. just make sure all fans blow into the console. i would not bother with adding fans on the back of the console, as if there not aligned with the internal ones, its just going to disrupt the air flow

By bottom grill, do you mean when the 360 is standing up vertically?

Also if the console is standing vertically while the fans are on the bottom, is any air getting into the case?

Edited by SlickWilly440, 23 March 2008 - 12:40 AM.

#9 blazoman64

blazoman64

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:46 AM

ok thanks i have my fans just need to connect them to a switch and 12v dc powerpack.

need help on my fans they have 3 wires red yellow black, i know that black is negative but wich one is 12v yellow or red.
Thanks!

#10 SlickWilly440

SlickWilly440

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE(blazoman64 @ Mar 22 2008, 07:22 PM) View Post

ok thanks i have my fans just need to connect them to a switch and 12v dc powerpack.

need help on my fans they have 3 wires red yellow black, i know that black is negative but wich one is 12v yellow or red.
Thanks!

Red is usually the positive wire I think, but just to make sure you can get two wires stick one in the black hole of the molex pin and stick the other one in the red hole, then stick the two ends to a battery and see what happens.

Also does anyone know what the maximum size of a fan that would fix inside the bottom grill (vertical) or right grill (horizontal), even if it the grill needs to be cut, but not sticking out? Is it 70mm or smaller?

Thanks

Edited by SlickWilly440, 23 March 2008 - 01:00 AM.

#11 gutterball

gutterball

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:43 AM

QUOTE(scuba156 @ Mar 22 2008, 06:38 PM) View Post

gutterball, leaving the fans on while the 360 is off will not damage the console at all. i have some modded fans in a 360 stand that i leave running 24/7, whether the 360 is on or off.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I won't feel so paranoid if I forget to unplug them. I did a bit more testing and I think it works. After playing a couple of matches of NHL (I lost all 4, can't get used to the new button system) I turned off the console and left the USB fans on.

I put my hand behind the Talismoon fans and I was definitely feeling hot air still being expelled.

Came back a bit later, did the "wet finger" test and I felt cooler air coming out. To make sure, I put a kleenex back there and sure enough, it fluttered around a bit biggrin.gif

Red is positive. The yellow wire is used to sense fan speed and I don't think the 360 can do that.

#12 blazoman64

blazoman64

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

i made my 1st prototype today 3 70mm fans blowing into the case.(verticle xbox stands on top of box)
(horizontal) bottom of xbox where the holes are has to be next to the holes on the fan device this way it sucks air out.
Need to test the temps.

#13 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE(SlickWilly440 @ Mar 23 2008, 10:16 AM) View Post

By bottom grill, do you mean when the 360 is standing up vertically?

Also if the console is standing vertically while the fans are on the bottom, is any air getting into the case?

yes, i mean the bottom grill when the console is standing up vertically. once you add fans, you can place the console horizontally, or you can buy/make a stand for the console

QUOTE(gutterball @ Mar 23 2008, 01:19 PM) View Post

Red is positive. The yellow wire is used to sense fan speed and I don't think the 360 can do that.

correct, the yellow wire is not used in the 360. the console measures the temps at the CPU/GPU die and change the fan voltage accordingly

#14 SlickWilly440

SlickWilly440

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

So I replaced the stock fan with the Talismoon ones, and since then the hair coming out of the 360 has been very warm compared to the stock fans (which was close to hot). Then yesterday I decided to place the stock Delta fans behind the exhaust and hooked it up to a 12volt power supply. Other than the huge noise increase, the only air coming out of the console after a few minutes wasn't even warm. I played the 360 like that for most of the day.

Is there anything dangerous about this setup? Was it a bad idea to replace the stock fans with the Talismoon, because lately I heard the delta fans put more air than the Talismoon. The reason I bought the Talismoon was b/c people were saying it was better than the stock fan?

Would it be better to swap out the Talismoon with the stock fan and do the 12volt fan mod or do the 12 volt fan mod with the Talismoon fans?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users